Boxing Day Hunt On TV

marsh man

11 hours ago, clangerman said:

you know the numbers i’m talking it’s nothing but bad publicity to have birds raining down all over the place joe public won’t have a problem with small scale stuff 

No, I don’t know the numbers you’re talking about, so perhaps you could be more specific? You stated it so put a number on it. 
Like I said, what is the difference between one shoot having a 150 bird day and three shoots each having a 50 bird day? What is the difference? 
Think through what would happen to shooting in the UK without driven shooting. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, mchughcb said:

When people think of fox hunting with hounds some of them think of snobs.

I on the other hand have nightmares of Danny's ****.

Thats not a nice sight is it 😂😂 I used to have a brilliant little Patterdale terrier who was worth his weight in gold. Apart from the times he'd ****** off when we were out riding or walking and we'd have to go back and get the spade and dig him without a collar. I've got a picture somewhere of me at full stretch, upside down in a hole being held by my ankles getting him back!

40 minutes ago, Scully said:

No, I don’t know the numbers you’re talking about, so perhaps you could be more specific? You stated it so put a number on it. 
Like I said, what is the difference between one shoot having a 150 bird day and three shoots each having a 50 bird day? What is the difference? 
Think through what would happen to shooting in the UK without driven shooting. 

anything numbers wise that needs a loader to keep blasting away couldn’t make us look worse claiming we go you go is just a con smaller scale shoots image will improve when we put our own house in order 

1 minute ago, clangerman said:

anything numbers wise that needs a loader to keep blasting away couldn’t make us look worse claiming we go you go is just a con smaller scale shoots image will improve when we put our own house in order 

Just out of interest, what would you consider the maximum number of birds that would be acceptable for an individual gun to shoot during the course of a full day's shooting.

2 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

Just out of interest, what would you consider the maximum number of birds that would be acceptable for an individual gun to shoot during the course of a full day's shooting.

it’s more how it looks than numbers puts the public of they don’t see it the same way we do to them it’s just blasting away non stop at the birds 

1 minute ago, clangerman said:

it’s more how it looks than numbers puts the public of they don’t see it the same way we do to them it’s just blasting away non stop at the birds 

You're as bad as an anti, just hiding behind emotive words. Come on, put your money where your mouth is and quote a number.

33 minutes ago, clangerman said:

Utter rubbish

I have never seen anyone berating anyone for posting pictures of bags of 100+ pigeon because you justify it to yourself as pest control, but using your own argument how do the public view it?

1 gun shooting 100 pigeons or 8 guns shooting 400 birds, so which number is too high?

IMHO neither, regardless of what is said, it always comes down to a class issue

Edited by button

Fox Hunting will never come back, much like handguns. When gone it's gone for good.

I'm all for keeping tradition alive but as time moves on something's are no longer acceptable. 

There were loopholes left for hunts, but they do seem to do their best to see them closed.

3 minutes ago, button said:

Utter rubbish

I have never seen anyone berating anyone for posting pictures of bags of 100+ pigeon because you justify it to yourself as pets control, but using your own argument how do the public view it?

1 gun shooting 100 pigeons or 8 guns shooting 400 birds, so which number is too high?

i don’t shoot large bags of pigeons makes me feel uncomfortable seeing them pile up anyone who does so is fair enough because they didn’t breed them to shoot 

2 minutes ago, clangerman said:

i don’t shoot large bags of pigeons makes me feel uncomfortable seeing them pile up anyone who does so is fair enough because they didn’t breed them to shoot 

Would say that's a weak argument, so now your against releasing pheasants for shooting but your ok if they wild and were not bred to be shot?

4 minutes ago, clangerman said:

not comfortable with breeding anything just to shoot it think joe public will settle the matter for us in due coarse anyway

Well the British countryside would look very different if it wasn't for shooting, but I guess your ok with this?

3 hours ago, clangerman said:

Not good enough. I have loaded for a fourteen year old boy on a 180 bird day on a local small scale shoot when he didn’t hit a thing all day, so put a number on it.
A mate loaded for a woman on her first days driven pheasant and partridge, and she didn’t hit a single bird either, and he collected over 80 empty cases from that one peg alone after the horn went, so put a number on it.
You keep harping on about big numbers, so put a number on it.
So far this season our big shoot has provided days consisting of 120 to 300, but they’re more than capable of providing much more, so what is a number that you and all those who oppose what we do, would find acceptable? 

What is the difference between a ‘ smaller scale’ shoot having five 100 bird day shoots, and a bigger scale shoot having a 500 bird day? Just what is the difference? 
If commercial driven days go, why do you think other shooters will be allowed to carry on?
The shooting organisations only exist because of commercial driven shooting, everything else is just a by product; they don’t exist because there’s a few blokes sat below the high tide line waiting to ambush a few geese, or because there’s a few blokes who enjoy a bit of decoying.
If driven shooting goes the rest will simply tumble like a pack of cards. Think about it, or at least try. 
If driven shooting ceases to exist, then those who produce and rear the birds will cease to exist. Where are you going to get your ‘one or two birds for the pot’ from then?  If they cease to exist then the cartridge manufacturers will be hit hard also. 
If driven shooting goes then why would our shooting orgs exist? The CPSA would do ok, but why would those who represent live quarry shooting exist, unless you think a few decoyers and ‘Fowler’s will provide their income? Why do you think BASC became BASC, rather than just WAGBI? 
When driven shooting has gone, who is going to represent the interests of those who just want to potter about the hedgerows and woodland trying to bag non-existent pheasants for the pot? 
Pheasants only exist in this country because there are those who want to shoot them. There were no pheasant or partridge in the UK before driven shooting existed, so why on Earth would there be if driven shooting goes? 

29 minutes ago, Scully said:

Not good enough. I have loaded for a fourteen year old boy on a 180 bird day on a local small scale shoot when he didn’t hit a thing all day, so put a number on it.
A mate loaded for a woman on her first days driven pheasant and partridge, and she didn’t hit a single bird either, and he collected over 80 empty cases from that one peg alone after the horn went, so put a number on it.
So far this season our big shoot has provided days consisting of 120 to 300, but they’re more than capable of providing much more, so what is a number that you and all those who oppose what we do, would find acceptable? 

What is the difference between a ‘ smaller scale’ shoot having five 100 bird day shoots, and a bigger scale shoot having a 500 bird day? Just what is the difference? 
If commercial driven days go, why do you think other shooters will be allowed to carry on?
The shooting organisations only exist because of commercial driven shooting, everything else is just a by product; they don’t exist because there’s a few blokes sat below the high tide line waiting to ambush a few geese, or because there’s a few blokes who enjoy a bit of decoying.
If driven shooting goes the rest will simply tumble like a pack of cards. Think about it, or at least try. 
If driven shooting ceases to exist, then those who produce and rear the birds will cease to exist. Where are you going to get your ‘one or two birds for the pot’ from then?  If they cease to exist then the cartridge manufacturers will be hit hard also. 
If driven shooting goes then why would our shooting orgs exist? The CPSA would do ok, but why would those who represent live quarry shooting exist, unless you think a few decoyers and ‘Fowler’s will provide their income? Why do you think BASC became BASC, rather than just WAGBI? 
When driven shooting has gone, who is going to represent the interests of those who just want to potter about the hedgerows and woodland trying to bag non-existent pheasants for the pot? 
Pheasants only exist in this country because there are those who want to shoot them. There were no pheasant or partridge in the UK before driven shooting existed, so why on Earth would there be if driven shooting goes? 

Nail and Head comes to mind 👍

35 minutes ago, Scully said:

👍

32 minutes ago, Scully said:

the fact you allowed the boy to carry on firing at live birds when he can’t hit them says everything that’s wrong as for your mate how irresponsible to let the woman fire 80 shots in the same manner exactly the type of publicity we don’t need or want as for the shower who claim to represent us i have two words LEAD BAN think i’m done before we hear more stories of the irresponsible actions 

Let’s keep the discussion focussed, hunting with dogs - specifically fox hunting. 

My wife’s 90+ year old uncle was aghast at my vulpecide when he found out that I had shot dozens of foxes. Clearly in hunting areas the foxes are kept or managed for the sport. I do not have an issue with this, nor the honesty regarding the excitement of the chase. It is a clean kill or escape. It’s hard to wing a fox with two dozen fox hounds. It is our culture and tradition. If you are against it so be it, I would have it brought back. Theresa May would have found a way to bring it back if the eegits on the right had actually backed her. 

Edited by WalkedUp

25 minutes ago, clangerman said:

the fact you allowed the boy to carry on firing at live birds when he can’t hit them says everything that’s wrong as for your mate how irresponsible to let the woman fire 80 shots in the same manner exactly the type of publicity we don’t need or want as for the shower who claim to represent us i have two words LEAD BAN think i’m done before we hear more stories of the irresponsible actions 

Nicely ignored, again. I can’t think why I expected anything else. 🤷‍♂️

12 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Let’s keep the discussion focussed, hunting with dogs - specifically fox hunting. 

My wife’s 90+ year old uncle was aghast at my vulpecide when he found out that I had shot dozens of foxes. Clearly in hunting areas the foxes are kept or managed for the sport. I do not have an issue with this, nor the honesty regarding the excitement of the chase. It is a clean kill or escape. It’s hard to wing a fox with two dozen fox hounds. It is our culture and tradition. If you are against it so be it, I would have it brought back. Theresa May would have found a way to bring it back if the eegits on the right had actually backed her. 

Exactly. There is nothing to match the exhilaration of following hounds on foot or a half decent horse. I've ridden to stag, fox and followed hare hounds on foot all my life. I would gladly swing for Blair for selling us down the river for political expediency. The greatest sport invented.

Intense orgasms excepted some of the greatest thrills I have ever experienced in my miserable life have been on horseback following hounds.

Most, but not all of those who hunt see it as a way of life, so ingrained in them that they cannot imagine being without it. That is not the case with the majority of shooting people.

2 hours ago, JDog said:

Most, but not all of those who hunt see it as a way of life, so ingrained in them that they cannot imagine being without it. That is not the case with the majority of shooting people.

I have to disagree with this statement. It is quite the reverse with the majority of shooting folk that I know.