Boxing Day Hunt On TV

marsh man

22 hours ago, scolopax said:

I am 100% behind hunting with hounds. It is absolutely the preeminent field sport in its many guises. I have been known to occaonally whip in to various foot packs.  Saddens me to read so many anti views on here. But I agree that hunting is now up against it, after many years of desperately trying the sabs have eventually managed to whip up parts of the mainstream media into a frenzy. 

Playing devil's advocate, it could be argued driven game shooting is no different to fox hunting.  Animals are being chased for sport, only difference is how the end comes.

That's what the majority of the public don't like. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, figgy said:

Playing devil's advocate, it could be argued driven game shooting is no different to fox hunting.  Animals are being chased for sport, only difference is how the end comes.

That's what the majority of the public don't like. 

That will no doubt be the same 'Public' that have spent the last week stuffing themselves on Turkey then (pun intended)   !        😂

I first saw that video a couple of weeks ago, so the anti brigade have been slow in getting the Press aroused. Possibly taken time to 'Edit' it accordingly.

Edited by Westley

9 hours ago, clangerman said:

i don’t shoot large bags of pigeons makes me feel uncomfortable seeing them pile up anyone who does so is fair enough because they didn’t breed them to shoot 

I fail to see the difference between you shooting 10 birds or 10 people shooting 100 birds, get your calculator out  !

5 minutes ago, Westley said:

I fail to see the difference between you shooting 10 birds or 10 people shooting 100 birds, get your calculator out  !

i don’t need a calculator to know you do not allow two people to blast away at live birds for target practice when it’s clear they can’t shoot there is no defence to treat live birds is such a appalling manner or excuses for those who knew better yet allowed a woman to  carry on firing at birds after failing to connect with any after eighty shots no wonder shooting has a bad name carry on like this 

12 minutes ago, clangerman said:

i don’t need a calculator to know you do not allow two people to blast away at live birds for target practice when it’s clear they can’t shoot there is no defence to treat live birds is such a appalling manner or excuses for those who knew better yet allowed a woman to  carry on firing at birds after failing to connect with any after eighty shots no wonder shooting has a bad name carry on like this 

I can see where your coming from , to fire 80 shots on one drive the shoot must have a huge amount of game to fire at and I am guessing it would have been a big day by our standards , if this was the case you would be talking big bucks per peg and if the day was light on the expected bag the shoot owner or captain on the day would have no doubt had a clicker and recorded the shots fired throughout the day and could have told the guns ( if asked ) that they had enough shooting to obtain the bag , with money being tight and some shoots are feeling the pinch , there isn't going to be many guns sent home because they can't hit a barn door , as long as they are safe the shoot wouldn't be to concerned , I am not saying this is right but we are living in some strange times . 

Some of the comments are unbelievable. If I was a pheasant I think i would rather fly over someone with a 80-1 ratio than a 3-1. Game shooting always has been, and always will be a social occasion. As long as all efforts are made to dispatch any wounded game and the gun is safe that’s all that matters.

You are out in the field to enjoy to countryside not to kill as much as possible. Ps the man shooting 3-1 will still wound far more birds than the lady shooting 80-1.

26 minutes ago, zipdog said:

Some of the comments are unbelievable. If I was a pheasant I think i would rather fly over someone with a 80-1 ratio than a 3-1. Game shooting always has been, and always will be a social occasion. As long as all efforts are made to dispatch any wounded game and the gun is safe that’s all that matters.

You are out in the field to enjoy to countryside not to kill as much as possible. Ps the man shooting 3-1 will still wound far more birds than the lady shooting 80-1.

Good point and I completely agree, however statistically the “more birds wounded” depends upon your reference points. I.e. the man only pricked 1 for every 5 he killed, whilst the woman picked 7 for each one killed I’ve they day. Or the man pricked 1 bird on that drive (he fired two shots) whilst the woman pricked 7 (she fired 80). If they both fired 80 cartridges however I would hazard that in number of total birds pricked you are correct. 

14 hours ago, clangerman said:

So you’re not happy with driven shooting yet you’re not happy if those taking part can’t hit them. 🤔

They ARE targets, whether you want to believe it or not. The woman in question had the right to be there because she had paid for it, or at least her husband had. She didn’t hit anything on that drive, and I have no idea if she did on any others, but everything was in place to collect any pricked birds just as it is on every other day, and presumably when you go out to shoot your self righteous pheasants or pigeons for sport also. 
The young lad had earned the right to be there because he had beaten all season.
Please enlighten us as to how people are to gain experience of shooting live quarry.....and don’t use the excuse that you practice on clays; clays are there to gain experience of handling a gun, and while certain traps can simulate driven birds they don’t bear any resemblance to pigeons, so where do you get experience of live quarry shooting? Don’t fret too much, as usual I’m not really expecting an answer. 
I know you’re simply trying to distract because you can’t answer the questions asked initially, but I’ll give it another go.....what number of birds killed for sport do you consider those who oppose us will find acceptable? 

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

So you’re not happy with driven shooting yet you’re not happy if those taking part can’t hit them. 🤔

They ARE targets, whether you want to believe it or not. The woman in question had the right to be there because she had paid for it, or at least her husband had. She didn’t hit anything on that drive, and I have no idea if she did on any others, but everything was in place to collect any pricked birds just as it is on every other day, and presumably when you go out to shoot your self righteous pheasants or pigeons for sport also. 
The young lad had earned the right to be there because he had beaten all season.
Please enlighten us as to how people are to gain experience of shooting live quarry.....and don’t use the excuse that you practice on clays; clays are there to gain experience of handling a gun, and while certain traps can simulate driven birds they don’t bear any resemblance to pigeons, so where do you get experience of live quarry shooting? Don’t fret too much, as usual I’m not really expecting an answer. 
I know you’re simply trying to distract because you can’t answer the questions asked initially, but I’ll give it another go.....what number of birds killed for sport do you consider those who oppose us will find acceptable? 

as those you highlighted clearly couldn’t hit a barn door with a brick numbers are irrelevant if this sort of disrespect for birds and the countryside is now the norm in game shooting it’s a disgrace nobody has the right to use live birds for target practice just because they have paid with such a attitude all game shooting will end as i have to pick the son in-laws first gun up i bid you good day 

29 minutes ago, clangerman said:

as those you highlighted clearly couldn’t hit a barn door with a brick numbers are irrelevant if this sort of disrespect for birds and the countryside is now the norm in game shooting it’s a disgrace nobody has the right to use live birds for target practice just because they have paid with such a attitude all game shooting will end as i have to pick the son in-laws first gun up i bid you good day 

Bye. 👋 You started the criticism, not me, but as usual, you always have something to do when the questions get too difficult for you. 

22 hours ago, clangerman said:

As an Instructor who has instructed on many game shoots with first time shooters, I have seen a lot who have had some clay shooting instruction and think that is all they need to become game shooters. They are perfectly safe when standing in a cage to load the gun, then making sure the gun is unloaded, before they leave the cage, and everything is fine. That is a WORLD APART from a game shoot with, no cage, people behind hedges, people picking up behind, who often move during a drive,  stops etc. etc...........  This is apart from the etiquette of who's bird is it  ?  For the first timer, it is an absolute MINEFIELD. I have seen some who were physically shaking with fear about 'putting a foot wrong' and you wonder why they shoot poorly  ?  Even a simulated game day does not even come close. As such, I wonder how you would propose these people commence game shooting   ?  I admit, I have not seen people shooting as badly as the example quoted, but I have put that down to the instruction and how it was given.  During the lull between the start of the drive and the first birds appearing, THAT is the time spent explaining and making sure all the safety aspects are understood and adhered to.  I am sure that your vast experience of shooting driven game and all that it entails, does not require me to explain to you as to WHY,  the first day in the field for some,  can be a nightmare, albeit a pleasant one .

• 2 weeks later...