last nights TV film BBC

ditchman

soooo...........thought i would watch the recent remake of Dunkirk.......with all the tech wisardary about now it should be good...like saving private ryan..........

how wrong was i..................what an utter load of unintelergerble absolute carp............whoever made that should be locked up.........they took an event in or history...a sad ...but brave...happening.......and turned it into utter tosh.........

i just had to watch it all...as i couldnt belive what i was seeing........even got the train carridge wrong....there are carriges like that still being used in the UK now made in the 70's and 80's

then the spitfire runs out of petrol and is gliding about shooting down nazi's for 10 mins............

the dialouge was .......carp ...thats if you could have understood it in the first place...

BBaaaaaaaaaa

I noticed some historical faux pars. I didn't like the constant running and jerky footage. 

If you were not aware of the cockups you may have enjoyed it.  I was disappointed and have stated so on as thread on here a while ago.

Hacksaw ridge was better film. Dunkirk had it moments but nothing I've seen could match Saving private Ryan for its sheer impact at the time.

Watched a film other day called the Flybiys about the French airforce with Americans joining and fighting in the air in bi planes. Jean Reno starred in it, bit of sit back and just watch it film, I quite enjoyed. Though plenty of critics slated it as a modern filming of an old scrip. 

Edited by figgy

3 minutes ago, figgy said:

I noticed some historical faux pars. I didn't like the constant running and jerky footage. 

If you were not aware of the cockups you may have enjoyed it.  I was disappointed and have stated so on as thread on here a while ago.

Hacksaw ridge was better film. Dunkirk had it moments but nothing I've seen could match Saving private Ryan for its sheer impact at the time.

i do remember the post you made...........that promted me to make sure i watched it .....as i thought it couldnt be that bad.......dooooohhhh

Dunkirk

3rd time I've seen it and still love it

Did you get the 3 different time periods, an hour for the Spitfire events, a day for the boat and a week on the beach?

So when we first see Cilian Murphy he's picked up by the boat but later in the film he's helping to bring people ashore as the perspective then is from the week on the beach

I don't think he shoots anyone after his fuel has run out, it's just a different point of view from the beach I think

1 of few films in the last few years shot on film

Edited by kevin55
Correction

I liked it. The separate chronology streams kept you on your toes - not a film to doze off while watching.

As for the mumbling, I think my gran first noticed that when she asked me whether I could understand what they were saying. At least I think that’s what she said; my ears were bleeding quite heavily from the volume of her tv. But mumbling actors....yeah, that’s the problem alright.

Oh, and a 10 second shot of some 70s British rail seat fabric “ruins” a 2 hour long film? Ok if you say so.

4 hours ago, rec-baller said:

Just watched a film titled  Mosul,  what a film , got subtitles but was easy to follow 

Also watched The midnight sky with George Clooney, that's 2 hrs I will never get back- absolutely garbage, 

Shaun 

I thought Mosul was extremely good.

Mosul is a fabulous film, simply terrific. 
Watched Cloonys Midnight Sky; thought it was slow and ponderous, although a good plot. I reckon it’ll become quite an iconic film eventually. 
Watched Mary Queen of Scots last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, and also Bradley Coopers A Star is Born; a great tragic film which had the OH sobbing at the end. 

I saw Dunkirk at the cinema when it was first released.  I think it makes a huge difference in how it impacts upon you as a piece of cinematography, compared to watching it on the telly in your lounge.  As a film I enjoyed it but it did bug me a bit with the artistic licence not sticking to exact history.  I'm quite into WW2 history and know a reasonable bit about the various events and stories of the war... it didn't ruin it for me.  Worst bit was knowing the Mk.1 Spits only had something like 12 seconds of ammunition but Nolan stretched it a lot further than that whilst portraying Farrier's action over the beach!

@TIGHTCHOKE what was your point regarding the burning Spit on the beach?  From memory, he ran out of fuel, glided in to land and then scuttled his plane using his flare gun.  Not sure how true to history all that is but it made for a pertinent and dramatic film scene nonetheless!

I'd have guessed in reality trying to land on sand it would be a slightly different outcome?!

17 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

I saw Dunkirk at the cinema when it was first released.  I think it makes a huge difference in how it impacts upon you as a piece of cinematography, compared to watching it on the telly in your lounge.  As a film I enjoyed it but it did bug me a bit with the artistic licence not sticking to exact history.  I'm quite into WW2 history and know a reasonable bit about the various events and stories of the war... it didn't ruin it for me.  Worst bit was knowing the Mk.1 Spits only had something like 12 seconds of ammunition but Nolan stretched it a lot further than that whilst portraying Farrier's action over the beach!

@TIGHTCHOKE what was your point regarding the burning Spit on the beach?  From memory, he ran out of fuel, glided in to land and then scuttled his plane using his flare gun.  Not sure how true to history all that is but it made for a pertinent and dramatic film scene nonetheless!

I'd have guessed in reality trying to land on sand it would be a slightly different outcome?!

aluminum dosnt burn like ply wood........and the spinner /prop is pointing downwards with 1/2ton of V12 behind it....think not.....

I’m just watching midnight sky and it ain’t the best 🤨. Mosul was good and also like kajaki which is about a group of British soldiers suck in a mine field In Afghanistan. The Mandolorian series  on Disney has been great and I’m looking forward to series 3 of Cobra Kai starting on Netflix on Friday 👍🏻

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

aluminum dosnt burn like ply wood........and the spinner /prop is pointing downwards with 1/2ton of V12 behind it....think not.....

55 minutes ago, figgy said:

He ran out of fuel, what was burning in an aluminium plane ?  All that deep orange flame with black smoke. Like a fossil fuel fire 

As I said above, you have to concede to a little bit of artistic licence to make a good film even if you know it's a little far-fetched, surely?!

The plane may be out of fuel to fly with but there would still be dregs in the tank, and vapour.  The Merlin was of course liquid-cooled, by means of ethylene glycol, which is flammable.  It would still have its engine oil, flammable of course, the tank being situated between the engine and cockpit.

The Spit's airframe construction wasn't 100% metal.  There were some parts made of spruce, particularly in the wing and tailplane areas, that burns nicely.

Earlier models also had flaps & ailerons covered in fabric but not sure if they'd already been phased out by the time war started

But let's not over-analyse it 😂😂

Edited by Jim Neal