Choke for 20 bore on woodcock

Lloyd90

Hello gents. I have picked up a last minute chance to shoot a walk one shoot one driven woodcock shoot this coming Wednesday. 

I am thinking of either taking my 12 bore SxS choked skeet and 3/8 - using 28g 7’s, or my 20 bore SP. 

Unfortunately the only 20b carts I have in at the moment are either 21g 7’s (not enough shot I’d assume), 28g 5.5’s or 30g 5’s. 

If I use the 20 what would be the best choke combo for these small birds? I think there’s the odd chance for pigeon, snipe and the odd pheasant as well. 

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes small shot, light load and open choking is the way to go.

Maybe put a bit of choke in the top barrel of the 20 bore to allow for a pheasant with a 5 or 6 shot cartridge

Currently have Cyl and 1/4 in the 20. 

21g 7’s with Cyl and 1/2? 

Guest cookoff013
9 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes small shot, light load and open choking is the way to go.

Maybe put a bit of choke in the top barrel of the 20 bore to allow for a pheasant with a 5 or 6 shot cartridge

Yup.

Ho Ho Ho !

24 minutes ago, figgy said:

You lucky boy, sounds like potential for a cracking day out.

Enjoy yourself.

Let’s hope so, no guarantees as wild birds but It’ll just be nice to work my dog on woodcock, if he gets a flush and later on a retrieve, even if shot by someone else, I will be over the moon!! 

4 hours ago, islandgun said:

I had walk on the moor two days  before Christmas with my Spaniel, a beautiful day, I saw 3 woodcock and shot 2, That was with the McNab 20 bore cyl-1/4 and 24g 7.5, had them with the Turkey. nom nom...... have a great day Lloyd

That sounds an ideal trip out. The 20 bore McNabs are lovely guns to shoot. I enjoy using mine. Intrigued that yours is choked cyl-1/4 as they are normally 1/4-1/2. Mind you, cyl-1/4 probably puts more birds in the bag.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

That sounds an ideal trip out. The 20 bore McNabs are lovely guns to shoot. I enjoy using mine. Intrigued that yours is choked cyl-1/4 as they are normally 1/4-1/2. Mind you, cyl-1/4 probably puts more birds in the bag.

OB

Multi-choke probably. 

Field trial judge and dog trainer we go to had one and he had Cyl and 1/4 in it and he didn’t miss much at all. 

Something on it broke and he’s had a nightmare trying to get it fixed!!