Any new SxS guns with modern features at a decent price?

LeedsZeppelin

I'm still on the lookout for a side by side. Preferably with single trigger, multichokes, steel proof, ejectors and a pistol grip/POW stock and decently sized forend for my fat fingers, such as a beaver tail.

Anyone know who are making such guns, preferably in the £1000 - £1500 bracket?

Edited by LeedsZeppelin

What’s wrong with the old features? 

You can get older SxS with single triggers (don’t know why you’d want one though as the double triggers is a huge benefit). 

Plenty of ejectors about and they will all take steel off they have 2 3/4 chamber ... and they even do 2 1/2” steel carts now! 

What do you want to use the gun for? 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

You can get older SxS with single triggers (don’t know why you’d want one though as the double triggers is a huge benefit). 

Plenty of ejectors about and they will all take steel off they have 2 3/4 chamber ... and they even do 2 1/2” steel carts now! 

What do you want to use the gun for? 

I don't like double triggers. For starters, you can smack your fingers on the triggers. Gloved hands don't fit too well. The length of pull is altered. These are all reasons why double triggers aren't particularly popular these days.

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I just prefer having such features as ejectors, multichokes and single selective triggers. I also prefer the feel of some kind of pistol grip as opposed to straight stocks and I've never liked splinter forends.

Out of interest, what would you say the benefit of a double triggers is?

5 minutes ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

I just prefer having such features as ejectors, multichokes and single selective triggers. I also prefer the feel of some kind of pistol grip as opposed to straight stocks and I've never liked splinter forends.

Out of interest, what would you say the benefit of a double triggers is?

You can change the choke you use very very quickly. 

Shooting my OU I can’t change the choke selector whilst simultaneously mounting the gun and lining up the bird. 

With my SxS I can very easily mount the gun, swing through the bird and consider the distance and choke I want to use, and simply slip my finger to the back trigger if I want a little bit more choke. 

I have done this on many occasions and dropped lengthy birds with the tighter choke. If I had to use the ‘first barrel’ before getting to the second I have no doubt the choke would have been insufficient. 

Similarly when a very close up bird gets up, I can select the very open choke and take the bird cleanly without blowing it apart with a tight choke. 

10 hours ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

I'm still on the lookout for a side by side. Preferably with single trigger, multichokes, steel proof, ejectors and a pistol grip/POW stock and decently sized forend for my fat fingers, such as a beaver tail.

Watching this one with great interest!

I think your budget might be the most limiting factor.

The best modern sxs for the price I have used is a Fabarm Classis 12.

Ejectors

Single Trigger

Multi choke

Steel proofed with full choke

3" chambers

pistol grip

beaver tail

very strong action

nice graving 

reasonable price.

The 20 bore is probably even more of a good thing.

Thanks for the suggestions, that has given me a few others to look at.

4 hours ago, theshootist said:

Sounds like you're after a Beretta silver hawk or a Winchester Model 23. 

I've been after a Model 23 for a while, and thought i had bought one twice already but both deals fell apart.

I've missed out on another due to not being able to travel, and seen some that looked promising but ended up being dogs. It has been a stressful search, hence why I am broadening my options.

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I think your budget might be the most limiting factor.

3 hours ago, davewh100 said:

yeah i would say the silver hawk but as Tightchoke says you may need to up your budget

I could go to about £2250 if it was really needed and the missus isn't looking, but that would be the top of my budget.

i have the Fabarm Classis and to be honest i thought you were describing it in the original post and when i bought mine brand new in 2015 it only cost me a couple of hundred more than your top end price range. Cracking gun to use and the dealings ive had with Anglo they are a great company to deal with. Im not a game shooter so its only been used on clays but it works fine for those

17 hours ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

The gun you are describing will handle and feel nothing like a SxS.