Any new SxS guns with modern features at a decent price?

LeedsZeppelin

There’s a Fabarm beta lux just gone into private gun sales. Seems to tick most of the OPs requirements.

Oops, sorry Dave (TC) didn’t spot that you have already mentioned this. Must pay more attention 😂.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

19 hours ago, motty said:

I don't like double triggers. For starters, you can smack your fingers on the triggers. Gloved hands don't fit too well. The length of pull is altered. These are all reasons why double triggers aren't particularly popular these days.

Never smacked my fingers of my double triggers using my Aya no 3 magnum On ducks or pigeons No problem wearing gloves either using it on foreshore or field 

If you want a SBS with single trigger, pistol grip and near instant choke selection as you mount the gun look for an old Japanese SKB 200E. Or its BSA branded brother. The barrel selection is a push across bar on the rear of the single trigger.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/shotgun/bsa-skb-model-200-12-bore

Edited by enfieldspares

On 27/12/2020 at 21:31, LeedsZeppelin said:

I'm still on the lookout for a side by side. Preferably with single trigger, multichokes, steel proof, ejectors and a pistol grip/POW stock and decently sized forend for my fat fingers, such as a beaver tail.

Anyone know who are making such guns, preferably in the £1000 - £1500 bracket?

2nd hand winchester ?

I have a Zabala SxS 12 gauge 3 inch chamber single selective trigger and this has worked well for me over the last 10 plus years, not sure if it's still available new but would be well under your budget second hand. Had a Winchester 23 back in the 1980's nice guns but spare parts could be an issue now.

It could be made into a beaver tail for very little money. One of the things that can be got around to maintain his list.

I wonder how big his hands are? Mate of mine who shoots a Yildiz Wildfowler sxs is taller and more lanky with bigger hands, he never once said the forend is too small. When I've had hold of it it just shouldered and handled like a ou. 

On 27/12/2020 at 21:31, LeedsZeppelin said:

I'm still on the lookout for a side by side. Preferably with single trigger, multichokes, steel proof, ejectors and a pistol grip/POW stock and decently sized forend for my fat fingers, such as a beaver tail.

Anyone know who are making such guns, preferably in the £1000 - £1500 bracket?

Save your self a lot of cash and buy a aya no3 magnum 2nd hand they have beaver tail fore end and pistol grip Granted there not multichoked or ejectors and have double triggers You can use any standard steel up to 3 inch through the gun I use mine for everything from wildfowling to clays I know your original post stated your preference but my personal opinion is the Aya no3 magnum better build gun than the Yildiz I’ve shot Yildiz They weren’t for me Just a idea 👍

I have used a Fabarm Classis 20 bore 30", for 3 seasons now and love it and shoot well with it.

I didn't buy it because it was a 20, I bought it because it handles beautifully. 

It weighs about the same as a 12 bore S x S and thus using 28 and 30g it is not an issue.

21g for clay practice.

Use same chokes both barrels which works for me.

I also have shovel hands but it doesn't balk me.

Guest cookoff013
On 28/12/2020 at 00:54, Lloyd90 said:

You can change the choke you use very very quickly. 

Shooting my OU I can’t change the choke selector whilst simultaneously mounting the gun and lining up the bird. 

With my SxS I can very easily mount the gun, swing through the bird and consider the distance and choke I want to use, and simply slip my finger to the back trigger if I want a little bit more choke. 

I have done this on many occasions and dropped lengthy birds with the tighter choke. If I had to use the ‘first barrel’ before getting to the second I have no doubt the choke would have been insufficient. 

Similarly when a very close up bird gets up, I can select the very open choke and take the bird cleanly without blowing it apart with a tight choke. 

Same applies to 2 different shells in respective barrels. Ie #6 in open and #4 in choked.  but for decoy, not relevent

On 28/12/2020 at 00:54, Lloyd90 said:

You can change the choke you use very very quickly. 

Shooting my OU I can’t change the choke selector whilst simultaneously mounting the gun and lining up the bird. 

With my SxS I can very easily mount the gun, swing through the bird and consider the distance and choke I want to use, and simply slip my finger to the back trigger if I want a little bit more choke. 

I have done this on many occasions and dropped lengthy birds with the tighter choke. If I had to use the ‘first barrel’ before getting to the second I have no doubt the choke would have been insufficient. 

Similarly when a very close up bird gets up, I can select the very open choke and take the bird cleanly without blowing it apart with a tight choke. 

That is one reason I could never understand why the left hand barrel was always the heavier choke.  I have often used the back trigger for an approaching driven bird out at 40+ yrds then reverted to the front for a second bird or shot if I missed the first.  I suppose 100yrs ago for walked up shooting the chokes would be correct.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

That is one reason I could never understand why the left hand barrel was always the heavier choke.  I have often used the back trigger for an approaching driven bird out at 40+ yrds then reverted to the front for a second bird or shot if I missed the first.  I suppose 100yrs ago for walked up shooting the chokes would be correct.

Completely agree for driven. 

I normally shoot walked up however and have had some cracking days with the double trigger SxS :) 

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

My W&J Davies hammer SxS has exactly that feature, 1/2 choke in the RH barrel and a slack 1/4 in the left.

I was shooting clays with some friends a couple of weeks ago. One had brought his new Yildiz SxS and let me have a play. Was a surprisingly nice shoot. The weight felt good, the gun was balanced nicely and the finish was decent. Hit 5/6 on the ABT stand and a few others afterwards with no real experience of shooting a SxS. Couldn't fault the gun really, especially for the price (Approx £600)