Where to Buy Antler for Thumb Stick

Alex C

A picture may help , a repair is usually more work than starting afresh , if the top is salvavable, possibly cut off broken piece & cap it off . If needs replacing probably loose 3 inch off the shank were the stud / spigot fits , secondly finding a suitable top , slightly larger than the shank , so can be taken down for a decent fit , if a collar fitted more problems , doable but a p.i.t.a...

You can buy antler forks from Keith Pickering. Just google ‘Thestickman’ and you should find something suitable. It might be worth ringing Keith to make sure that the antler piece is a similar diameter or as Boo says, slightly larger than the stick to make jointing easier. Be aware that the antler ‘marrow’ can be very soft and may need drilling out and filling with epoxy glue or similar otherwise it could work loose. 
OB

Edited by Old Boggy

3 hours ago, boo said:

Wish highland horn was back ! 😔

Me to, serious blow that was when he closed up. Huge stocks of just about everything for stick making. 

Another thing I used to enjoy was getting his parcels open. Staples, a whole roll of Highland horn tape. More staples. The odd bit of welding. 

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

Me to, serious blow that was when he closed up. Huge stocks of just about everything for stick making. 

Another thing I used to enjoy was getting his parcels open. Staples, a whole roll of Highland horn tape. More staples. The odd bit of welding. 

Yes got some amazing  stuff from them , still have a couple of sweetchestnut stick blanks . They make a beautiful  stick . 

13 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Yes got some amazing  stuff from them , still have a couple of sweetchestnut stick blanks . They make a beautiful  stick . 

Only ever got one thing bad from them and it was my fault. didn't know what I was buying just went by the fact that it looked nice. Bought this particular wood shank from them, cannot remember what it was called. But it was black with these white flecks, I thought that would make a lovely stick. As soon as I got it out the packaging and run me hand along it. I was inflicted with a handfull of tiny splinters. I sanded, sanded and sanded that shank, but could not stop it from giving you splinters. I varnished it and that made it even worse. I have no idea what this wood was but I ended up binning it. I didn't have the experience or know how of how to deal with it. Obviously it can be put right or he wouldn't sell it but it was beyond my merge expertise. Something beginning with "P" If I remember.

Thanks for the replies , His current stick is just a wooden thumb stick which he managed to break one side of the Y bit off the top. Idea was to get a bit of antler, drill both antler and cut off stick top , then epoxy a thread bar dowel in to keep both bits together. Doable ?

Sounds like it , didn't realise natural thumbstick, if the stick is tidy , cut the top off flush , look for a piece of antler slightly larger than stick diameter with decent wall thickness on the antler, could be just a straight piece, vee or a coronet! Personally use 8mm stainless stud & 2 part epoxy , get a decent joint and take the horn down to the stick on the joint , wrap a bit of tape around the stick to stop file damage, also can tip the horn to finish it off , buffalo looks nice....

Just a quick thanks to Old Boggy.

He has posted a piece of antler, a brass collar, a piece of thread bar for a dowel and some caps pieces for the tips of the antler. He wouldnt even let me pay the postage !

I am totally blown away that someone has taken the time to package all this stuff up and pay for postage from their own pocket to post something to an internet stranger.

Really has made my day !

Thanks Old Boggy !!

On 01/01/2021 at 11:35, Alex C said:

Thanks for the replies , His current stick is just a wooden thumb stick which he managed to break one side of the Y bit off the top. Idea was to get a bit of antler, drill both antler and cut off stick top , then epoxy a thread bar dowel in to keep both bits together. Doable ?

before you glue the threaded bar in file a flat on the side ,it will stop it from unscrewing later on .