A new low

JohnfromUK

41 minutes ago, wisdom said:

Love those machines.Where do you have it sited.

It is in the hall.

41 minutes ago, owain said:

That’s a nice piece of equipment 👍👍

It is a 1960s 'microbarograph' by Negretti and Zambra.  You can still get all the papers and inks etc.  Motor is clockwork, wound once a week. 

Edited by JohnfromUK

12 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It is in the hall.

It is a 1960s 'microbarograph' by Negretti and Zambra.  You can still get all the papers and inks etc.  Motor is clockwork, would once a week. 

Donkeys years ago when I worked at the pit one of my jobs on a Monday morning I used to have to wind up the barographs and change the "charts".

Noticed 970. Something on my digital weather station, next time I looked hours later it was up to 977 . Said to my wife over last couple of days it's been dropping. I didn't think 977 was all that low.

Had a sinus infection for over a week so I've noticed the pressure change.

Edited by figgy

Forecast snow here, between Atherstone and Burton upon Trent but have not had a flake so far, but it is cold enough.

I agree that is a superb bit of kit AND a lovely bit of 'furniture' too.

Just checked our 100 plus year old barometer and that reads 28 here close to Four Counties.

Edited by Walker570

20 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Forecast snow here, between Atherstone and Burton upon Trent but have not had a flake so far, but it is cold enough.

I agree that is a superb bit of kit AND a lovely bit of 'furniture' too.

Just checked our 100 plus year old barometer and that reads 28 here close to Four Counties.

Its white over here, we have had about a couple of inches of snow but its stopped now and gone really foggy.

So for those of us who do not know (me) what's the significance of this reading? And why is it unusual?

Edited by old'un

38 minutes ago, figgy said:

I'm also wondering the significance, I thought low was in the 930's and below storms and hurricanes.

It's certainly not a record low, but below about 28.75" (about 970) is fairly unusual in the UK.  It is fairly unusual to see below 29" here.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

It is in the hall.

It is a 1960s 'microbarograph' by Negretti and Zambra.  You can still get all the papers and inks etc.  Motor is clockwork, wound once a week. 

Hello, I have a weather forecaster by Zambretti, it is a 2 disc model and can forecast weather quite well, these days I just look out the window, 🤔😁

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I have a weather forecaster by Zambretti, it is a 2 disc model and can forecast weather quite well, these days I just look out the window, 🤔😁

They did a number of types.  The most common are ivorine discs, about 3" in diameter.  I think the Zambretti is a copy of this. 

Pocket Weather Forecaster by Negretti & Zambra, London. 1915. - Gilai  Collectibles

Next were larger brass discs, which stood up and were about 6" in diameter. 

Early Twentieth Century Patent Brass Desk Weather Forecaster By Negretti &  Zambra, London | 574146 | Sellingantiques.co.uk

Then there was a desk model a bit like a desk perpetual calendar,

Buy Negretti Zambra in Antique Scientific Instruments | eBay

and a pocket barometer with the weather forecasting 'built in'.  

WEATHER FORECASTING, THE NEGRETTI & ZAMBRA WAY - Vavasseur Antiques

These last are rare and command high prices.

28 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

They did a number of types.  The most common are ivorine discs, about 3" in diameter.  I think the Zambretti is a copy of this. 

Pocket Weather Forecaster by Negretti & Zambra, London. 1915. - Gilai  Collectibles

Next were larger brass discs, which stood up and were about 6" in diameter. 

Early Twentieth Century Patent Brass Desk Weather Forecaster By Negretti &  Zambra, London | 574146 | Sellingantiques.co.uk

Then there was a desk model a bit like a desk perpetual calendar,

Buy Negretti Zambra in Antique Scientific Instruments | eBay

and a pocket barometer with the weather forecasting 'built in'.  

WEATHER FORECASTING, THE NEGRETTI & ZAMBRA WAY - Vavasseur Antiques

These last are rare and command high prices.

Hello, that top one looks like mine but a later model, 👍