Double trigger finger knock!

flippermaj

I have a side by side double trigger and struggle with the heavier loads as my right hand second finger (longest finger) inside knuckle often gets painfully knocked against the trigger guard on firing.

I know that this is a fairly common complaint against double trigger side by sides but are there any fixes or work arounds?  I have tried a little foam pad on the trigger guard but that seemed to make little difference.

Cheers

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another possible cause for this is when the hand grip circumference/dia is to small, allowing the recoil to push the gun through your grip and onto your knuckle/finger, lot more common with straight hand grip guns.

Another possibility is, the stock is short.

Edited by old'un

Yes, I normally shoot a 410 but recently I took the 16 gauge out 120yrs old double trigger and I suffered for the first few rounds until I realised I was not holding the gun tight enough. Over the years I become so used tpo almost negative recoil on the 410. Plus the 16 gauge is straight, no pistol grip.  You used to be able to buy a small rubber pad which clipped on the trigger guard but a small 1/2 inch piece of rubber tubing about3/8ths in diamter taped on may just solve the problem.    It isn't always double triggers as with heavy loads even with single triggers it can occur.

Just googled "trigger guard finger protector" and two or three choices came up from £7 to £10 .

Edited by Walker570

I don't suffer with it myself, despite using several light(ish) straight hand double trigger guns.  Two possible causes spring to mind;

1. Unsuitable loads - side by sides are usually quite light and typically can get rather lively in recoil - as a guide - the old rule of thumb was to shoot a load of less than 1/96ths of the gun's weight.  Typically this meant 1 ounce (28 g) in light guns and 1 1/16 oz (30 g and then the 'standard' Eley Grand Prix load) in others.  These loads were also probably a little slower than today's obsessions with 'high velocity' dictates.
  2. The gun may be a little short - hence not quite as firmly in the shoulder. 

48 minutes ago, flippermaj said:

I have a side by side double trigger and struggle with the heavier loads as my right hand second finger (longest finger) inside knuckle often gets painfully knocked against the trigger guard on firing.

I know that this is a fairly common complaint against double trigger side by sides but are there any fixes or work arounds?  I have tried a little foam pad on the trigger guard but that seemed to make little difference.

Cheers

I had exactly the same problem with my SXS. Took it to a gunsmith who fitted a rubber pad to the trigger guard which cost very little and never had a problem since.

3 hours ago, old'un said:

Another possibility is, the stock is short

The stock on my first gun, an AyA was far too short for me and I had finger knock. It didn’t fuss me too much but looked ugly after a good day. A 1” spacer to the stock made my gun uglier but finger prettier.

2 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

This is normally due to incorrect gun fit.  Get it checked by someone who knows how to fit a sbs. 

This 

Thanks for all the replies, I will look up one of the trigger guards on eBay.

The gun fit is fine, same as my 2.75 inch AYA Yeoman side by side and I don't have a problem with that gun but then again the loads are a little lighter.

What some above have identified and I believe is part of the problem is that the semi pistol grip is definitely slimmer in radius than the pistol grip on the non mag gun.  The slimmer grip I think means that it is slipping a little in my hand on the heavier loads and or I need to hold it tighter!

Shot a good pink with it this morning so I won't be stopping using it, great guns apart from my finger issue!

If one has a pistol grip and the other has a semi pistol grip as you put it the stock lengths would normally need to be different.   Likewise if the barrel lengths/weights are different the stock length will change.  

Not being fun who’s told you the gun fit is correct.  More than 50% of people I see shooting have ill fitting guns.  

They are both semi pistol grips, standard AYA style with beaver tail fore ends, just my loose use of terminology in my last post.  They fit well, i am average build and a 14.5 inch stock suits and the cast and drop on the standard stock is good for me, get a good picture straight down the rib and slightly above it, shoots where I point it on paper, clays or birds.  If I miss it's me and not the gun!

My AYA mag has the standard bakealite (?) butt plate which is nigh on useless so that certainly doesn't help things.   I had a recoil pad fitted to the 2.75 inch AYA some years back and it makes some difference though not a huge amount.

The recoil from 36 grm of steel is fairly significant in the magnum but as I don't shoot more than 6 or so in a session then I can live with it.

Once the season has finished the plan is to get the gun into a gunsmith and get a decent pad fitted.  I assume that a decent smith will remove some wood from the stock so that the stock length remains the same once the new pad is fitted?

I was thinking of getting a recoil pad from here, www.recoilsystems.com

Something has always 'worried me' about recoil pads.  The reasoning (which may be complete rubbish, I don't know!) runs like this.

When you fire the gun - there is recoil - which is a sharp push/impact from the action into the stock (assume no recoil pad here) - and transferred through the rigid stock (mainly) to the shooters shoulder.  This causes some compression to the shooters flesh and movement to his frame, which between them 'absorb' the recoil.  A small amount of this recoil is taken on the face and hands, but the vast majority on the shoulder pocket/muscle.

If a recoil pad (or one of the other recoil absorbing devices) is fitted, the recoil is (in theory anyway) partly absorbed by compression of a soft medium (rubber or sorbothane pad, or some form of telescopic absorber).  This may allow more gun movement (at the hands and the face) but be softer on the shoulder.

Because there is probably more movement at the point where the hands hold the gun and also the face touched the comb, my worry is that the apparent effect of recoil in these places may be increased - though it may well be less sharp at the shoulder.

Is this rubbish, or is there some grain of truth in this?  I don't know.

Most of my guns have no recoil pads, but I do have one with a 'Silvers style pad' - and another with a leather covered pad (both installed before my ownership).  Both are quite firm material and I don't notice any different recoil to another similar gun with no pad.

I wouldn't get a recoil pad for the recoil that is fine but maybe help with fit if that is an issue. But the one thing I like about my sxs's is they handle so well and i shoot well with them due to them being quite short in the stock I think.

I have an hatsan semi and it feels like a telegraph pole and I find the stock way too long. It came with spacers but I think they are to extend it not reduce it. So I will look into that as the rubber one it comes with is too chunky 

Edited by captainhastings