Removing lead build up. CZ 452. 22lr

flyeruk

28 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, the only thing i  get in the breach of my 455 is tiny bits of brass, something not right with your 452 if it's lead, I also clean the wax off the RWS ammo 

The RWs ammo is very waxy. I have been having a problem with the metal 10 round magazine. Not only with the RWS, but anything I put in it. 

It fails to chamber now and again, I think the head is catching the chamber as I have to drop the mag, push it back in, and it's then okay. 

Will have to get another mag and see if that helps. 

I have noticed when this happens, a couple of the rounds have been slightly scratched and thinking this may be where the build up is coming from? 

43 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Is the gun working as normal?

Are you killing what you aim at?

The gun is working fine. I have been using it for targets at 115 yards. Getting reasonable (in my eyes) pretty good groupings. 

It's an older CZ 452 2e circa 1996.I had it chopped to 16".Been shooting from the bonnet of the xtrail from a bag. 

4 minutes ago, flyeruk said:

The RWs ammo is very waxy. I have been having a problem with the metal 10 round magazine. Not only with the RWS, but anything I put in it. 

It fails to chamber now and again, I think the head is catching the chamber as I have to drop the mag, push it back in, and it's then okay. 

I have noticed when this happens, a couple of the rounds have been slightly scratched and thinking this may be where the build up is coming from? 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, the only thing i  get in the breach of my 455 is tiny bits of brass, something not right with your 452 if it's lead, I also clean the wax off the RWS ammo 

How do you get the wax off the ammo? 

Just thought I would show you these. 115 yards, a lively wind from the right, but quite happy with how the gun is shooting. 

IMG_20201228_143801.jpg

rsz_20201220_144133.jpg

I would check your grouping at 75 yards, 115 for a 22lr is pushing it a bit in my opinion, 5 round groups too, a 2 or 3 round group isn't enough.

Whilst I don't generally clean the barrel out on my .22 that often I do clean everything else, especially round the breach face and the magazine as 22lr is a dirty enough round, very noticeable through a semi auto like my remington.

Can't see from the photo but is there a little feed ramp on the chamber to help the bullet on its way? If there is or your magazine/bottom of the breach is minging then it's going to push your round up and contact the top which could shave a bit of lead off the round or cause a missfeed... when my semi auto 22 gets minging it can missfeed or the mag won't allow rounds up.

Strip down the magazine and give it a proper good clean, check the lips on the top of the mag aren't bent either if it's of sheet metal construction 

1 hour ago, flyeruk said:

The gun is working fine. I have been using it for targets at 115 yards. Getting reasonable (in my eyes) pretty good groupings. 

It's an older CZ 452 2e circa 1996.I had it chopped to 16".Been shooting from the bonnet of the xtrail from a bag. 

Hello, I clean off the wax on the RWS ammo with white spirit before I use in rifle, you do not get the build up of crud and such like in the breech, a drop of thin gun oil in the bolt centre pin and let it drain through then wipe off with oily rag, I only use a 5 shot mag, 

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

I would check your grouping at 75 yards, 115 for a 22lr is pushing it a bit in my opinion, 5 round groups too, a 2 or 3 round group isn't enough.

Whilst I don't generally clean the barrel out on my .22 that often I do clean everything else, especially round the breach face and the magazine as 22lr is a dirty enough round, very noticeable through a semi auto like my remington.

Can't see from the photo but is there a little feed ramp on the chamber to help the bullet on its way? If there is or your magazine/bottom of the breach is minging then it's going to push your round up and contact the top which could shave a bit of lead off the round or cause a missfeed... when my semi auto 22 gets minging it can missfeed or the mag won't allow rounds up.

Strip down the magazine and give it a proper good clean, check the lips on the top of the mag aren't bent either if it's of sheet metal construction 

Not sure where your coming from re; distance? When you say, 115 for a. 22lr is pushing it,  thats was the idea. I'm not shooting live quarry and wouldn't at that distance. 

There are a lot of people shooting 22lrs out a lot further that 115 and to be honest, I'm pretty pleased with the groups I'm getting, just over an inch. I only shoot targets for fun and think with a basic CZ452 on a windy day that's good enough for me. 😁

3 hours ago, flyeruk said:

How do you get the wax off the ammo? 

Just thought I would show you these. 115 yards, a lively wind from the right, but quite happy with how the gun is shooting. 

IMG_20201228_143801.jpg

rsz_20201220_144133.jpg

Hello, white spirit and some tissue, I cut kitchen tissue squares into 4 and throw away after 10 bullets, I do about 50 at a time, when I first bought the 455 and trying 5 different ammo, the RWS was the best but realised after a few rounds had to clean out the breach, now I just blow out the brass clippings and no waxy crud, 👍

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, white spirit and some tissue, I cut kitchen tissue squares into 4 and throw away after 10 bullets, I do about 50 at a time, when I first bought the 455 and trying 5 different ammo, the RWS was the best but realised after a few rounds had to clean out the breach, now I just blow out the brass clippings and no waxy crud, 👍

Hello, looking at the photo I would give the barrel a good scrub out, at 115 yard all mine would be in the black circle or near if a bit windy, start with a clean barrel and 50 RWS cleaned plus the breach area, light gun oil spray on pin that goes through bolt, I spray same in my 5 shot magazine, hope you get sorted 👍

1 hour ago, scarecrow243 said:

with your ten shot mag try 9 rounds and see if it makes any difference to loading  ps i never get any barrel cut shorter  if i wanted a short barrel i would buy the gun made that way

It's as accurate or more so since chopping. Just need a good gunsmith who knows his stuff. 

I’ve never cleaned my .22 CZ at all in the 20 plus years I’ve had it. I once had a similar build up to that in your pics which prevented the extractor from picking up the rim, I just scraped it off. 
I too found mine to be more accurate after chopping, or believed it to be. I don’t think there’s a better workhorse in rf than the CZ .22. 

Edited by Scully

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I’ve never cleaned my .22 CZ at all in the 20 plus years I’ve had it. I once had a similar build up to that in your pics which prevented the extractor from picking up the rim, I just scraped it off. 
I too found mine to be more accurate after chopping, or believed it to be. I don’t think there’s a better workhorse in rf than the CZ .22. 

Likewise never clean my CZ .22 and yes 20 plus years, thousands of rounds through it, mainly Winchester, Ely and CCI. Scrape it carefully with a flat head screw driver. I’ve cleaned the bolt a few times when the crud builds up and the claws don’t grab to eject the case. If it is still accurate for goodness sake don’t clean the barrel.