Starter Gun for a 6 Year Old

DazTipp

Hi All.

Looking for a good starter gun for my now 5 year old but want to be getting her, her own gun for when she is legal to fire a gun, she will be going classes for clay shooting but i will be taking her to shoot game in the future so im after a good alrounder.

thanks in advance

DazzTipp

12 minutes ago, DazTipp said:

Hi All.

Looking for a good starter gun for my now 5 year old but want to be getting her, her own gun for when she is legal to fire a gun, she will be going classes for clay shooting but i will be taking her to shoot game in the future so im after a good alrounder.

thanks in advance

DazzTipp

You can take your daughter at any age. It's down to you who decides when it's safe and right.

My daughter is 5 and keeps asking to come - I’ll be getting her one of the replica sbs which come with cartridges etc and letting her come possibly next season, more likely the next and stand on peg with me and treat it as the real thing to teach muzzle awareness and handling etc before considering letting her try a .410 when she is a few years older 

5 hours ago, DazTipp said:

Hi All.

thanks in advance

DazzTipp

In my opinion) is too young. My three boys shoot and have all started around the age of 10. 
All started on a Belgium single 410 with gamebore cartridges, 9g or 11g. 

At 6 I think you’d be putting them off rather than encouraging them. 

All the best 

Andy

If it helps, I took my boy to our local clay ground when he was 10 and they lent me a little gun for him to try. We did that for about 2 years so he could try different guns and then I bought a spare stock for my 20 bore beretta from Welsh Andy and had it shortened.  He’s used that for the last 3 years and this summer he moved up to a 12 bore 687 which seems to fit him well. I’ve been fortunate in that he has taken to it quite well and has been able to use my guns without too much extra outlay but it could have been a big expense. Added to this, when he first had a lesson, the instructor quickly realised that he was left eye dominant but is right handed so he learned to shoot left handed and mounts his gun naturally this way now.

I think it’s a really nice thing when your kids have similar interests to you but I guess what I’m saying is that maybe it’s best to take things slower and try to get everything right, that way you will have years of good fun together.

Good luck and let us know how you both get on.

GG

0312B536-BCF7-46AD-947C-A9398D0CA3A8.jpeg

23 hours ago, DazTipp said:

Hi All.

thanks in advance

DazzTipp

Unless something has changed it is legal for her to shoot a gun now.

For 5 to 8, a Yildiz junior single barrel 3.5lb  410 (£200) with fixed choke (1\4 at most) and 2.5inch 14g no7.5 or no8 or no9 would be a trainer set up, very light, easy to handle and only one shot to worry about.

At 8 I could handle a 5lb 410 SxS hammer gun (not the best route but inexpensive) and a Yildiz or similar 5lb 410 3 inch with 18g no7 with multi chokes SXS or OU would be fine for your young one and you Can get adult stock but also junior if she struggles with size at that age.

This will see her to 12 at least, when it is (conventionally) worth going to 20b or 12b, and at which age I was shooting 12b SxS and semi auto.

Do not go down the full choke route with 410, keep the shot no7 and smaller and with open chokes she will end up hitting as much as you, just not as far away i.e. 30 yards instead of 40 yards.

I have a nice  Belgian sxs .410 that has assisted opening which would be a bonus.    Its not cheap though £400.   Heres what the gun shop that sold it to the guy I bought it from said about it......

BELGIAN SIDE BY SIDE TOP LEVER SPRING ASSISTED OPENER .410 DOUBLE BARREL SHOTGUN.

.410 Side by Side double barrel shotgun with hold open top lever opening. No actual makers name stamped. As with so many shotguns like this the Belgian proof stamps are about the only clue as to origin. This is a none ejector double trigger with fixed choke 28 1/8th barrels. Cylinder and full with 2 ½” chambers. It is actually quite a nicely made little shotgun. Spring assisted opening. Though bores are not as bright as I would like there is no major pitting as so often found in older .410 shotguns. The plain action is bright finished and sports a manual safety. Quite a nice straight grained, reasonably figured 14 ¼” stock. That finishes with a metal but plate. Chequering, though not described as sharp, is still well defined.

Not quite sure if the actual gun number is as low as 3 but both the action and barrel are stamped as such and if not it’s an NVN candidate.

Last one (?) similar to this was purchased by a gentleman who took it out on a small family /walked up shoot the day after he took delivery and accounted for something like 8 out of a total bag of 24 with 8 guns! To say he was happy is a major understatement.

My opinion is, if your kids/grandkids are keen encourage them without being pushy. 5 - 10 shots i find is usually enough at statics to begin with then moving onto clays later once they hit all the statics. 10 - 15 choosen clays i find is enough to keep an interest on a warm day. Cold, wet miserable kids watching Dad/Grandad shoot soon loose interest. 

My grandson, now 7 has a  COOEY model 84 single shot hammer gun .410 and hits clays at a rate of maybe 1 in 4 now. I cut the but down to fit him, details are in this forum and pictures.

Using 2" x 9g cartridges there's little or no recoil. These are about £7 for 25.

With his Christmas money he has asked for and been to look at today a Belgian  .410 side lever single shot with 25" barrels. The type they term poachers guns. Same as, well very similar to picture below.

Just be aware before some keyboard warrior jumps in, at this age they can't "own" their own gun, it's yours that they may use under supervision. 

As to using it, its your opinion as parent or grandparent if they are string enough to use and hold it and ultimately fire it.

20201214_163743.jpg.cd09a68d5ee0aa558669bac1108f9cc1.jpg

On 28/12/2020 at 14:36, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Welcome to Pigeon Watch, finally got round to posting!

i actually was a member for many years with over 4,000 posts and pheasant shooting videos but I came off due to negativity i was getting so i had to resign up pal

22 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

My opinion is, if your kids/grandkids are keen encourage them without being pushy. 5 - 10 shots i find is usually enough at statics to begin with then moving onto clays later once they hit all the statics. 10 - 15 choosen clays i find is enough to keep an interest on a warm day. Cold, wet miserable kids watching Dad/Grandad shoot soon loose interest. 

My grandson, now 7 has a  COOEY model 84 single shot hammer gun .410 and hits clays at a rate of maybe 1 in 4 now. I cut the but down to fit him, details are in this forum and pictures.

Using 2" x 9g cartridges there's little or no recoil. These are about £7 for 25.

With his Christmas money he has asked for and been to look at today a Belgian  .410 side lever single shot with 25" barrels. The type they term poachers guns. Same as, well very similar to picture below.

Just be aware before some keyboard warrior jumps in, at this age they can't "own" their own gun, it's yours that they may use under supervision. 

As to using it, its your opinion as parent or grandparent if they are string enough to use and hold it and ultimately fire it.

20201214_163743.jpg.cd09a68d5ee0aa558669bac1108f9cc1.jpg

This is what my youngest shoots 😊

He’s 11 now but a small 11 🙈

C4DC28F7-0296-40E4-8068-66F73E67FA03.jpeg

10 hours ago, WelshAndy said:

This is what my youngest shoots 😊

He’s 11 now but a small 11 🙈

C4DC28F7-0296-40E4-8068-66F73E67FA03.jpeg

10 hours ago, WelshAndy said:

6E9BAD3F-FFE3-4DB1-8BB2-FF1C8B933B9E.jpeg

This is a folder but only activated by pushing the button by his little finger. 
meaning he can carry it like a normal gun broken over his arm 👍🏻

It looks the same as my grandson is having and almost the same as my moderated. 

I think its great getting the kids interested and out, teaching them something useful instead of plonking them down with the latest gaming device.

Its nice to see pictures of kids with an outdoor interest.