Quad Seal

Instead of concentrating on the job in hand step-son while faffing around doing something seasonal no doubt has committed the cardinal sin of failing to get cartridges for a shoot. I am going to let him have my last slab - which leaves me with just under two boxes - of my Hull High Pheasant 7s - but am going to ensure that he doesn't do it again by choosing something pricey for him to replace them with.

While browsing Just Cartridges, I came across 'Purple Fury' and their 'quad seal' system. Do I take it that this is making someone dosh because someone else has come up with the pointless exercise of over/back bored barrels which can cause problems with the more usual fibre wads of a satisfactory standard which perform as advertised in conventionally bored barrels?

I quite honestly see no problem with overbored barrels and fibre wads. These wads are not solid steel so put a powder charge behind them and a volume of shot in front which effectively squashes the wad! Only one way it can go is outwards to fill the bore.

There's always Sporting 100 with an 18.9mm wad. 

I've been shooting dark storm on game this season, not sure if it's psychological but there seems to be something very different about them which seems to be resulting in something very different about the way I'm connecting (or not) with birds.  Haven't put my finger on it yet but I'm beginning to regret buying two slabs!

On 28/12/2020 at 19:46, DUNKS said:

I quite honestly see no problem with overbored barrels and fibre wads. These wads are not solid steel so put a powder charge behind them and a volume of shot in front which effectively squashes the wad! Only one way it can go is outwards to fill the bore.

There's always Sporting 100 with an 18.9mm wad. 

Rest assured that you will should you ever encounter it. My incident is well documented on here.

I had no idea of the problem when I posted - was just pointing out a seemingly pointless exercise. Perhaps these cartridges should be used in over-bored barrels only a la Maxus at .742 for example.

26 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Sorry I missed your post about the incident. Would you be kind enough to tell me what the problem was. I am on my third thousand felt cartridges in my overbored gun. No problem yet.

The emphasis has to be on, 'it can happen' and not 'it will happen'. I had shot thousands of fibre through my Maxus and then decided to try a brand known on here of a similar load weight but different shot size. No matter what choke right up to X Full I put in I could not get anything other than a blown open TC pattern with an absolutely filthy barrel and from the few we recovered, burned wads. I had bought 2000, the vast majority of them I sold at a loss after letting the potential buyers pattern them in their guns to ensure they were happy. Although somewhat brisk, when all was well these did have a good reputation, just not ideal for overbored barrels and made by someone whose after sales attitude was somewhat lacking.

13 hours ago, john deere said:

80 out of a slab of 250 had issues Gamebore  are addressing the problem.

Won’t be buying anymore Quad seals anytime soon!

I've shot approx 100 of my dark storm so far this season - never had an issue like in the above pictures but now you've got me worried!