Well worth a watch!

bluesj

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

I was praying the young lad would have missed & the buffalo had killed him 👌

Odd statement from a shooter.

I'm guessing your further post was edited as it was along the same lines or more "anti".

I'd not travel to hunt big game, doesn't float my boat but I don't see the difference between that and what we all do.

Edd

11 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I can justify taking a pheasants life as I will eat it but to take a buffalo or elephant’s life just for the sake of it is another mater ( in my head at least)

Surely they’re eaten. I watched documentaries before where local villagers eat all the meat. I reckon buffalo would probably be quite nice. Not sure about elephant though.

then there’s the whole conservation side. The huge game reserves have way more animals because they are protected from poachers and looked after.

A while ago, there was someone advertising a black rhino to be shot. Apparently instead of mating with the females it was attacking them, I believe maybe even killed one. So the reserve had to get rid, and try again with a new male. I’m sure it was posted on here. The rights to the animal were like a million dollars. And none of the animal rights do gooders like Ricky gervais et al, to who  open letters were written, wanted to stump up the funds to fence a large enough area, but the rhino etc etc. But there were people out there who would pay the cull it, with the enormous fee going directly back into black rhino conservation.

Shooting those amazing animals doesn’t sit entirely right with me, but when you look at some of the situations and reasons, if it needs to be done, why not get as much money as they can to continue their conservation efforts?

16 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I can justify taking a pheasants life as I will eat it but to take a buffalo or elephant’s life just for the sake of it is another mater ( in my head at least) 

No different to going and shooting a Red Stag up in Scotland etc. 

Very odd view from a shooter. 

If you paid attention to the video you’d have heard that those areas of conservation are funded through big game hunting. 

Without it they wouldn’t exist. 

Someone is paying to shoot what is an old animal that is coming towards the end of its life, and charging them which puts money into the community and preservation of the entire reserve. 

But it’s fine and more ethical to rear a load of birds, release them into pens a few weeks before the ‘shooting season’, then get a bunch of blokes with dogs to scare and flush them off a hill top whilst you stand below and blow them out of the sky? And you think that’s justifiable because you take them home afterwards and eat them? 🤷‍♂️🤔

On 09/01/2021 at 20:40, Lloyd90 said:

No different to going and shooting a Red Stag up in Scotland etc. 

Very odd view from a shooter. 

If you paid attention to the video you’d have heard that those areas of conservation are funded through big game hunting. 

Without it they wouldn’t exist. 

Someone is paying to shoot what is an old animal that is coming towards the end of its life, and charging them which puts money into the community and preservation of the entire reserve. 

But it’s fine and more ethical to rear a load of birds, release them into pens a few weeks before the ‘shooting season’, then get a bunch of blokes with dogs to scare and flush them off a hill top whilst you stand below and blow them out of the sky? And you think that’s justifiable because you take them home afterwards and eat them? 🤷‍♂️🤔

Hit the nail on the head there. I will openly say I go to Africa and hunt. I realy enjoy it and try and do some wing shooting when im out there. The birds there are not reared and are totally wild but are only shot at where the numbers are higher. Same with all the other animals. 

Now about the eating of big/dangerous game. I remember going on a hippo hunt as a backup gun (then things are fast and always angry). We didnt see a soul out on the grounds for 3 days after a two loud bangs half a village of people turned up to help retrieve the 2.5 tonne hippo who ran into the water to die. Once the animal was out within 45mins the meat was gone and the bits the client wanted removed. All I know is deep fired hippo lips are tasty. Buffalo is rather good too. 

The first animal I shot in africa was a blue wildebeest. I asked what happens to the meat the guide said you'll see. On our way back we stopped off at the local school and dropped him off there minus the skin head and fillets. People dont realise they dont have Tescos etc out there. We can have meat but others cant. 

Life is life. The same spark that makes a bird fly is the same spark that makes a deer walk and a lion roar. Thats the way I see it anyway

• 4 weeks later...

Personally i think it's not a good ides to transfer shooting protocols from one continent to another?

Very few animals die from old age in Africa, predation is the overall control? 

When revenues from African hunting are put back into the economy in some way along with meat given to native communities from the removal of older animals past their prime, maybe this is more ethical than hunting here where generally animals are shot when in season as they appear on the ground.?

Granted some estates try to manage their herds to promote health but that goes in the bin when the animal goes over the boundary and ends up shot by a neighbour?

Different continents, different politics, different strokes? Maybe?

18 hours ago, Old farrier said:

It’s easy to judge by the fire in your home 

wondering if many would change the view if the elephant was eating their crops or the lions eating there livestock or children maybe a leopard eating your dog or goats 

selling the trophies and putting the money back is probably the best way 

if it pays it stays 

Yep, no value no future?