ANTIQUE MUZZLE LOADERS QUESTION.

DUNKS

Hi I have this 1835 percussion double. It has two gold inlays on the barrels. Does anyone else had such a mark on their gun? Do you think it's there to denote number two of a pair before gunmakers started to put actual numbers or is it just decoration. What think you?

Thanks.

MUZZLE LOADER 2 003.JPG

6 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Hi I have this 1835 percussion double. It has two gold inlays on the barrels. Does anyone else had such a mark on their gun? Do you think it's there to denote number two of a pair before gunmakers started to put actual numbers or is it just decoration. What think you?

Thanks.

MUZZLE LOADER 2 003.JPG

Pretty common to see this and not aware it denotes anything, rather just decoration. Looks a nice gun, what make and are you shooting it.

36 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Pretty common to see this and not aware it denotes anything, rather just decoration. Looks a nice gun, what make and are you shooting it.

Thanks. It's a Sherwood, Portsmouth gunmaker but sure it's a Birmingham gun. Yes I shoot it at the clays when it's not too cold. Still has it's original ramrod.

36 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

100_0968.JPG.9dd824a37f6965477fb431ce2360bfd8.JPG100_0968.JPG.9dd824a37f6965477fb431ce2360bfd8.JPGThese gold bands are common on a percussion and flintlock shotgun most sxs have two and singles can have three  two close together near the standing  breech and one opposite next to the joint where the plug screws into the barrel. Al pairs of percussion guns are numbered one and two  ,you will often find these numbers on the standing breech and the tail of the trigger guard, this practise is still practised today on most pairs of modern guns.

Feltwad

Edited by Feltwad

9 minutes ago, Feltwad said:

Always remember One driven pheasant  shot with a percussion muzzle loader is worth ten shot with a  modern  over and under  gun 

Feltwad

I agree wholeheartedly. Haven’t had the opportunity this year but there is always next season if we can get the team together again.

Has both game and clay shooting have been mentioned in this thread , my advice to any shooter who wishes to use both a muzzle loader or black powder cartridge guns always ask permission to use one . It is surprising  how many estates and more so clay pigeon clubs  that refuse.

Feltwad 

3 hours ago, Feltwad said:

Has both game and clay shooting have been mentioned in this thread , my advice to any shooter who wishes to use both a muzzle loader or black powder cartridge guns always ask permission to use one . It is surprising  how many estates and more so clay pigeon clubs  that refuse.

Feltwad 

Good advice!

1 hour ago, DUNKS said:

True. Here only one clay ground will allow the black. Others say no but have no reason why.. one did say other shooters complained about the smell. 

There are several reasons  but the most common is the noise it puts some shooters off .I once had  a clay shooter who had only been shooting  for four years   and  thought he new everything and tried to impress his mates approach me and told me that black powder guns with Damascus barrels should not be allowed because they were very dangerous , these types of shooters have changed the atmosphere  of a lot of clay clubs . It is better  when a group of black powder shooters get together in some famers field with a couple of traps   and enjoy black powder day  clay shooting

Feltwad 

Edited by Feltwad

I dont doubt that, but at the clay ground I use it's usual for at least one shooter to ask can they have a go. Always a lot of interest in the guns. Farmers field and a few traps sounds a great idea though. We have in the past enjoyed a shoot at Yeaveley but it's only once a month.