Scrap lead for making shot

Steve brownell

Lead is harder to find these days

Contact roofers, and plumbers. They don't get much for it from the scrap man, build up a network, pay a bit extra

Indoor rifle ranges are supposed to de lead their ranges every six months (yeah right!) offer to do it for them.

Just buy it wholesale. Fry's metals back in the pistol days supplied many bullet casting companies 

Edited by Vince Green

To make shot, I used to go into my local tyre depot, and buy all the old tyre weights, they are  the best lead for making shot.

Any metal detectorist usually  has a supply of lead we pick up so much of it in the fields,  I could have supplied you with plenty, but not down in Norfolk for a few months yet, due to covid.

As has been said, plumbers and builders/roofers worth asking. I've seen it for sale in local auctions/ house clearance places.

I've also collected a bucket of old fishing weights at a local beach.

Out of interest, should lead shot be made from pure lead or an alloy with something like antimony?

If it needs to be pure then take care, I've even found some roofing lead to not be pure lead. And has been mentioned many wheel weights these days aren't lead.

Edited by Windswept

• 3 weeks later...