What a beaut...Beretta 490 Serpentina Side by Side Shotgun

Pangolin

4 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Horrific, it's like someone has actually managed to polish a **** and wants to show you 

That truly sums it up.

3 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

If you are going to produce a side lever SxS this in my eyes is beauty. Not quite sure why the photo is upside down, sorry!77CFA033-888E-4937-8AD1-C443140CFF96.jpeg.174c999c9aaa2006e69aee440e1f3341.jpeg

Now I’m dribbling again.

10 hours ago, figgy said:

Beautiful gun, I'd love one but the blued steel version from a few years ago. 

Stunning lines due to being a side lever.

Yeah, the lines keep it lovely and clean

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

I rather like it, but from a quick search it looks like there were only ever three or four produced? 

I think theyre just commemorative items.

Many of the gunmakers make a small number of 'flagship' statement items.  I posted in another thread that Kreighoff do a 'gun of the year' and Beretta have done some - as have some of the English makers.  H & H did a few large 'sets' with 5 or 6 guns in a huge furniture style display cabinet.  Westley Richards have done some very fancy work for American collectors in recent years.

They are made mainly for collectors (as opposed to shooters) and to show off the skills available (which wealthy clients may wish to draw on) for a commission gun.  In a way - they are a bit like some of the 'design studies' that used to feature at motor shows etc.

There is no doubt that great skill is involved, and I suspect that they are profitable .......... but not really something I'd aspire to own.

7 minutes ago, kevin55 said:

The focus will be on creating a world class English gun, hand finished to exacting standards, desirable in the field and valued as an heirloom.

I think it is a hard path, Boxhall and Edmiston tried - and sadly had to close the business.  http://www.boxallandedmiston.co.uk/

A.A. Brown make a nice traditional English gun, still truly hand made.  https://www.aabrownandsons.com/index.html

On 30/12/2020 at 19:32, Dave at kelton said:

If you are going to produce a side lever SxS this in my eyes is beauty. Not quite sure why the photo is upside down, sorry!77CFA033-888E-4937-8AD1-C443140CFF96.jpeg.174c999c9aaa2006e69aee440e1f3341.jpeg

That is absolutely perfect. I’ve always fancied a side lever. Being a southpaw, I would imagine that the lever on the right hand side would work very well. Well out of my price range unfortunately.

OB

On 31/12/2020 at 15:45, kevin55 said:

Gallyon are doing something that looks to be very nice

The focus will be on creating a world class English gun, hand finished to exacting standards, desirable in the field and valued as an heirloom.

https://gallyon.com/heritage

Is Richard Gallyon still with us?

Edited to say that I’ve just googled and Richard at 77 has just retired. 

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

That is absolutely perfect. I’ve always fancied a side lever. Being a southpaw, I would imagine that the lever on the right hand side would work very well. Well out of my price range unfortunately.

OB

Is Richard Gallyon still with us?

Edited to say that I’ve just googled and Richard at 77 has just retired. 

OB

It has a very left handed stock cast on from a right handed action and suits me as a south paw too. I was looking to move it on but whilst of relatively recent proof the barrel walls are well below recommended minimum. It was made by John Robson who was essentially an out worker for the trade and clearly a very skilled one at that. So it rather follows the thread of one off guns.