Thinking of a high rib shotgun

retromlc

Evening all, brief history, been shooting probably 12 years,after multiple shottie purchases including the fabarm STL, and I think the XLR velocity high rib, I eventually bought a beautiful Perazzi MX8, 30 3/4 " barrel's quality stock which I had reshaped to fit my dimensions I got from a try-gun fitting from Chris potter around 6/7 years ago, and was pretty good with it I regularly used to pattern it and it centered 60/40 and even, I had maybe a 2 year break from shooting and returned late last year, but I'm having trouble as during the break from shooting I had a bike accident and broke my collarbone which left a large lump right about where the gun goes (obviously I don't mount a gun in my collarbone but it impedes the mount) and a neck injury. I have struggled with a conventional "low rib" my parazzi now pattern high and to the left I think this is down to the injuries.so think that I may be better returning to a high rib shotgun and adjustable comb, options are the fabarm XLR auto or maybe the zoli HR? thoughts would be great useful, cheers in advance

I too have neck and shoulder damage, I find semi autos much more comfortable to shoot now. A semi high rib is what I like, bit more head up position helps with comfortable mount and recoil is absorb more easily. Go to some clubs and try as many guns as you can. 

You could also have a high rib fitted to your Perazzi along with adjustable comb.

Edited by figgy

12 hours ago, retromlc said:

Evening all, brief history, been shooting probably 12 years,after multiple shottie purchases including the fabarm STL, and I think the XLR velocity high rib, I eventually bought a beautiful Perazzi MX8, 30 3/4 " barrel's quality stock which I had reshaped to fit my dimensions I got from a try-gun fitting from Chris potter around 6/7 years ago, and was pretty good with it I regularly used to pattern it and it centered 60/40 and even, I had maybe a 2 year break from shooting and returned late last year, but I'm having trouble as during the break from shooting I had a bike accident and broke my collarbone which left a large lump right about where the gun goes (obviously I don't mount a gun in my collarbone but it impedes the mount) and a neck injury. I have struggled with a conventional "low rib" my parazzi now pattern high and to the left I think this is down to the injuries.so think that I may be better returning to a high rib shotgun and adjustable comb, options are the fabarm XLR auto or maybe the zoli HR? thoughts would be great useful, cheers in advance

12 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Personally, I think your best course is to go and see a gun fitter and discuss your injuries - and their effect on fit.

Your body has changed due to the injuries, why not accept that your gun no longer fits you properly?

Get it fitted again and as John says discuss it with the fitter.

Did you go to West Kent Shooting School?

4 minutes ago, retromlc said:

It took me a while to work it out tbh, putting poor scores, bruised front of shoulder, to being a bit rusty and needing to get my eye in. I went to the West London shooting school,(Holland and Holland?)

Well then if I were you I would return there and see what they recommend.

Can I also suggest that you can get a stick on or magnetic rib raiser which might prove or disprove your theory. Have a look here; http://www.highrib.co.uk/

Alternatively one of the Semi-Autos with a high rib might be the answer.

Good luck, I hope you get things sorted.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
LINK