Sauna

Shearwater

43 minutes ago, Shearwater said:

Hi all, always fancied a Sauna box in the garden, has anyone got any user advice?

My (Step) MIL has one. She is 73 and is a dead ringer for Eric Bristow (RIP) so if that isn’t enough to put you off I don’t know what is. 

I have an infrared sauna cabin in a spare bedroom, it's a lovely place to spend some time and poach oneself without the real oppressive heat of a traditional sauna.

I think I last used it 3 years ago... Bought in a moment of annual bonus euphoria probably 12 years ago, used very enthusiastically for 6 months and with massive infrequency since.  If i had put that bonus into an ISA i'd have many more pennines and much more space in my spare room.

If you really do want a sauna consider the infrared options as well, mine is a Physiotherm product and the quality is genuinely excellent.  Genuinely do think how much you really would use it though.

1 hour ago, grrclark said:

I have an infrared sauna cabin in a spare bedroom, it's a lovely place to spend some time and poach oneself without the real oppressive heat of a traditional sauna.

I think I last used it 3 years ago... Bought in a moment of annual bonus euphoria probably 12 years ago, used very enthusiastically for 6 months and with massive infrequency since.  If i had put that bonus into an ISA i'd have many more pennines and much more space in my spare room.

If you really do want a sauna consider the infrared options as well, mine is a Physiotherm product and the quality is genuinely excellent.  Genuinely do think how much you really would use it though.

Ex had an infrared one in the spare room, and then the extension.  Clips to together with quick release toggles, and breaks down for moving.  She used it at least twice a week following her workout. 

Ran off a standard 13 A plug top, and obviously no steam.

If you have the self discipline, am sure it's great.  I found it unpleasant to be in, and would rather be out shooting or tinkering in the garage....BUT if I were building the dream house including a gym, I'd definitely plan for one.

14 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Ex had an infrared one in the spare room, and then the extension.  Clips to together with quick release toggles, and breaks down for moving.  She used it at least twice a week following her workout. 

Ran off a standard 13 A plug top, and obviously no steam.

If you have the self discipline, am sure it's great.  I found it unpleasant to be in, and would rather be out shooting or tinkering in the garage....BUT if I were building the dream house including a gym, I'd definitely plan for one.

The infrequency of use of mine is because i’d rather be out shooting or tinkering too.

As I said, a product of money burning a hole in my pocket and let’s say youthful exuberance, or also known as stupid spontaneous asshat affliction.

It is proper good quality though.

5 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Just use the one down the gym 

Never set foot in one, much less paid for membership of such a thing.

If I were into picking heavy things up, and putting them down again, or running/cycling on the spot, the money I spent on membership of a place (where I'd have to shower communally, let's not forget) would be better spent on getting the DIY versions for use at home, surely?

43 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Just use the one down the gym 

You might get a free gnarly hand shandy too!

31 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

If I were into picking heavy things up, and putting them down again, or running/cycling on the spot, the money I spent on membership of a place (where I'd have to shower communally, let's not forget) would be better spent on getting the DIY versions for use at home, surely?

That made me chuckle.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

The country would be in better shape if more people did a bit of running on the spot and a bit of picking things up and putting them back down. 

Good luck kitting out your home with a decent setup for a few quid. 

Not sure the communal showers were compulsory 🤣🤣 thought that was just a bonus ... 

Aren't same sex showers compulsory? 

Saunas are great, parent had one in a house when I was leaving home, great bits of kit.

Neighbors have a barrel.one I'm their garden, talking to them they use it a lot. 

I prefer to relax in a hot tub at home, can boil myself in it and get a massage, no happy ending though.

If you want one go buy one and enjoy it, life's too short not too 

I quite like a sauna, which is good because I have on occasion had to bake in one to sweat a few lbs off. But when you're using it for pleasure rather than work its much nicer. Weve also got a cryo chamber in Shrewsbury. Its minus 90 Celsius in there. If you want to be invigorated go and have a go in one of them. They only allow you 3 minutes but you come out and feel like someone has jump started you. Id have used it frequently but its a tenner a pop and you're only allowed 3 minutes and once you're in there after the first minute it's not too bad and I could definitely stand to go in there for longer.

I have had one in the garden for just over 2 years and wouldn’t be without it.

My advice:

1. Don’t get the infra red ones - that’s sauna lite for pansies 

2. get proper adjustable ambient lighting installed so you can either relax or read

3. instal a mirror and whatever you need for shaving (you won’t need foam - give it a try and you’ll see what I mean)

4. instal speakers in the environment outside so you can listen to music / podcasts etc 

I love my sauna and never see me not having / using one regularly. I would say that during lockdown I use it pretty much everyday / every other day. It’s probably the only healthy activity I do.

My routine is to sit in and listen to a podcast - Joe Rogan, Bill Burr, Adam (off Adam and Joe), Ben Shapiro etc and it’s 40 mins of pure switch off time. I also do my stretches (insert joke here, fnarr he said insert etc) I then sit in my sweat laden swimmers in the garden and freeze for as long as I can take. It’s the cold that feels like someone has pulled out your spinal column and gives the sense of complete relaxation.

Saunas are also good for the immune system. I don’t want to tempt the gods but 3000 mg of fizzy vitamin C, a tab of vitamin d and a sauna routine is working well for me.

There’s a good Joe Rogan podcast with a doctor on sauna use #1474

And as for hot tubs - I never took to the idea of sitting in a confined space in ‘used water’ and which has been round the bits and bum cracks of others, no matter how much chlorine has been ineffectively administered by an amateur owner.  Oh and they are not good for you or your heart rhythm.

EDIT

My top tip, get a mate with a van and second hand set up off eBay (thank you Brokenman) and then buy a new 8kw sauna heater off amazon (make sure you get one with top accessible or a remote controller - you don’t want to be scrabbling around on your hands and knees on a cold tiled floor looking to switch the thing on each time you want to use it). Oh and you will need a handy electrician mate to wire it and the funky lights in (thank you Miffy 👍)

Edited by Mungler