“Thank you Officer”

WalkedUp

WARNING LONG RANT ⚠️ 

I had a right todoo today sent out by my wife to buy fireworks. We were meant to be going to my sister’s garden but a change in tiers left us scrambling to mark the event. The first two garden centres I visited had sold out, then Tesco only stocks them at Guy Fawkes Night so ended up ringing round from my car to see who had any. 

Eventually sourced some 25 mins away so set off with a bee in my bonnet. All half price, fantastic. Got to the front of the queue wearing my wellington boots, 18 year old Barbour, stone coloured chinos, jumper, shirt and Musto gilet, weather beaten, stubble and some wrinkles. 

Young cashier lady: “Have you got any ID?” 

Me: “I’m sorry?”

YCL: “ID, you look under 18. Do you have ID?”

Me: “🤣 I’m a 35 year old man, I’ve 3 children, a mortgage, two cars and two dogs - surely you can tell I’m not 17?”

YCL: “You look under age to me, I can call my supervisor?”

Supervisor, also a young lady comes over and chats to the girl then: “Yes, you’ve got a baby face so we’re going to need to see some ID”.

Me: “This is ridiculous, I’m a 6ft+ man with a deep old man voice. Surely you can tell I’m not 17? I called you to confirm you had fireworks, drove here in a people carrier and am wearing a large man’s coat that is older than 17 years. I can take my mask off and show you my face?”

Sup: “No you must wear your mask or leave the store, we just need ID”

Me: “Can I speak to a man please? 

Sup: “🤬 ... I’m so offended.. chauvinism....blah ... blah ... blah” 

Me: “I am not intending to be sexist but I believe that a man would be able to recognise another man even if they were wearing a face mask”.

Store manager (45 year old male comes over to the commotion being caused by the ranting “upset” supervisor and is brought up to speed with the situation. 

Manager: “Look, clearly you are over 18 but the law is that once we have asked for ID you must show it or we must decline the sale.” 

Me to store manager: “OK, that’s fine. It’s just I don’t have time to get home and back before the store closes and I need these fireworks for tonight. Can I show you a picture of my Driver’s License on my phone?”

Manager: “No I’m sorry, there is nothing we can do. I can set them aside as reserved if you can get back here?” 

Me: “Thank you but it’s not possible, just leave it. I’m sorry if anyone feels that they have been upset by my words but you can understand my frustration.”

Anyway I walk back to my car and I realise my FAC wallet is in the glove box from pest control driving into Wales!!!! Jackpot! 🤩

I return to the store and the same young cashier lady is on the fireworks counter, she sees me approach and asks if I now have any ID. 

“Yes” I say and flash open my FAC wallet (with police emblem etc) 

YCL: “Oh, thank you Officer”

Me: 😳

🤣🤣🤣🤣

I honestly cannot comprehend 🙈

Edited by WalkedUp

i was on holiday one time got talking to a young lad in the bar,i was 18 and asked for a pint, the chap said i was not old enough so would not serve me, i said to the other chap how old are you he said 15 i can get a pint so he asked the chap behined the bar for a pint, and he got served work that out,

My brother used to work for a TV company and they used to use his son to go into shops and try to buy cigarettes whilst being secretly filmed by the undercover TV crew so they could put it on the evening local news. “Newsagent serves children cigarettes”. 

I still get asked for id now...I'm 33. Went to sainsburys the other night to buy a turkey - id over sold mine so we were looking like having pot noodle. I bought a turkey, an expensive bottle of gin, rum and whiskey and the girl on checkout wanted to id me. I asked her if she wanted to bet she was older than me and said I'd give her a tenner if she could guess my age within 2 years either way. I do look young when I've shaved,  I look older with stubble but probably only my age!

I have nothing to say other than I’m envious.  I wish a couple of young ladies would ask me to prove i’m old enough!

One of the most endearing things about going for a beer in the USA is the potential of being asked to prove your age, it’s rejuvenating and i’m not even ‘that’ old.  It is worth a trip there for that alone.

*Breaths out a sigh of youthful contentment at the thought*

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

Foreign driver delivering whisky to my house asked for my date of birth, I told him 25th December 1801 and he entered it into his electronic thingy, looked puzzled then asked for proof. I said don't I bloody look it. Yes he said but I still need proof.🤣

Ha! Should have shown him a picture of George IV on your telephone and said "Here's me Dad...Mind though....we don't talk about it....It's just that when he was Prince Regent he was a bit of a lad."

Edited by enfieldspares

Me and my partner went into asda to do a big shop. When it got to the end the woman behind the till asked my partner for her id for the alcohol which she didn’t have so my partner turned to me and asked if I had my wallet on me which I pulled out. The woman behind the counter said to my mrs sorry I can’t except his id because I know his buying it for you. My mrs politely turned around to her and said well enjoy putting that lot back then and we walked out the shop and left the lot on the counter. 

4 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

WARNING LONG RANT ⚠️ 

I had a right todoo today sent out by my wife to buy fireworks. We were meant to be going to my sister’s garden but a change in tiers left us scrambling to mark the event. The first two garden centres I visited had sold out, then Tesco only stocks them at Guy Fawkes Night so ended up ringing round from my car to see who had any. 

Eventually sourced some 25 mins away so set off with a bee in my bonnet. All half price, fantastic. Got to the front of the queue wearing my wellington boots, 18 year old Barbour, stone coloured chinos, jumper, shirt and Musto gilet, weather beaten, stubble and some wrinkles. 

Young cashier lady: “Have you got any ID?” 

Me: “I’m sorry?”

YCL: “ID, you look under 18. Do you have ID?”

Me: “🤣 I’m a 35 year old man, I’ve 3 children, a mortgage, two cars and two dogs - surely you can tell I’m not 17?”

YCL: “You look under age to me, I can call my supervisor?”

Supervisor, also a young lady comes over and chats to the girl then: “Yes, you’ve got a baby face so we’re going to need to see some ID”.

Me: “This is ridiculous, I’m a 6ft+ man with a deep old man voice. Surely you can tell I’m not 17? I called you to confirm you had fireworks, drove here in a people carrier and am wearing a large man’s coat that is older than 17 years. I can take my mask off and show you my face?”

Sup: “No you must wear your mask or leave the store, we just need ID”

Me: “Can I speak to a man please? 

Sup: “🤬 ... I’m so offended.. chauvinism....blah ... blah ... blah” 

Me: “I am not intending to be sexist but I believe that a man would be able to recognise another man even if they were wearing a face mask”.

Store manager (45 year old male comes over to the commotion being caused by the ranting “upset” supervisor and is brought up to speed with the situation. 

Manager: “Look, clearly you are over 18 but the law is that once we have asked for ID you must show it or we must decline the sale.” 

Me to store manager: “OK, that’s fine. It’s just I don’t have time to get home and back before the store closes and I need these fireworks for tonight. Can I show you a picture of my Driver’s License on my phone?”

Manager: “No I’m sorry, there is nothing we can do. I can set them aside as reserved if you can get back here?” 

Me: “Thank you but it’s not possible, just leave it. I’m sorry if anyone feels that they have been upset by my words but you can understand my frustration.”

Anyway I walk back to my car and I realise my FAC wallet is in the glove box from pest control driving into Wales!!!! Jackpot! 🤩

I return to the store and the same young cashier lady is on the fireworks counter, she sees me approach and asks if I now have any ID. 

“Yes” I say and flash open my FAC wallet (with police emblem etc) 

YCL: “Oh, thank you Officer”

Me: 😳

🤣🤣🤣🤣

I honestly cannot comprehend 🙈

I had a similar experience when I went to pick up some foreign currency 😳

It works both ways.

Years ago, my wife and I went to see some gardens open to the public. ‘Two adults tickets please’, I say. ‘Oh it’s half price for teenagers’ says ticket clerk. “WHAT! says the wife, I am 29, been married 9 years and this is my 5 year old daughter!”

Her honesty cost me £5 & she was p**d off about it all afternoon!

Women, I just don’t understand them!

Think yourselves lucky, at 12 I had a mustache and stubble. Was at a mates family party his older sisters were going nightclubbing and asked me along, no knowing a thing I said yes, never got asked my age. The door staff just looked and waved me in. Not once have I been asked my age for looking under age 😤😭😂 

I didn't stay long in the club, people falling around drunk didn't appeal to me.

Edited by figgy

9 minutes ago, figgy said:

Think yourselves lucky, at 12 I had a mustache and stubble. Was at a mates family party his older sisters were going nightclubbing and asked me along, no knowing a thing I said yes, never got asked my age. The door staff just looked and waved me in. Not once have I been asked my age for looking under age 😤😭😂 

I didn't stay long in the club, people falling around drunk didn't appeal to me.

Really?  My first experience in a club at 15 I thought it was magic.  Oh how my memory is filled with hazy past images of life learning moments and life lesson teaching ladies.

Vive la looking older than your years.