Thy have started on the rape.

dead eye alan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

Out for a look about yesterday and put up about 80 off one field and 30 off another, so will be out early on Saturday and have a go. Anyone else seen any sign of birds on the rape in your areas, Balotelli what about you have you found any birds in your neck of the woods? 

Yes pigeons are on the rape here but are still preferring stubbles.

Been out this morning, no birds on the rape here yet, Derbyshire/S Yorkshire borders. 

Did see quite a few gulls circling one rape field, nothing landing though.

Crows and pigeon still in trees, seem to be still on acorn and berry although the acorn now appears to be rotting. The ones we took being  "extreme" & "high". That's my opinion of high and extreme and may well be somebody's idea of, well, not so 😇

Strangely despite being quite mild today no squirrels. 

2 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

Out for a look about yesterday and put up about 80 off one field and 30 off another, so will be out early on Saturday and have a go. Anyone else seen any sign of birds on the rape in your areas, Balotelli what about you have you found any birds in your neck of the woods? 

Think Mr balotelli has been banned unfortunately..... not sure what for though 

10 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Think Mr balotelli has been banned unfortunately..... not sure what for though 

Maybe, just maybe, for instigation of provocative posts. 

In my opinion provoking an argument and sitting back with or without popcorn to watch the results is a good way to "provoke" a ban.

But, we digress and are wandering off topic onto potentially thin ice.

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

Maybe, just maybe, for instigation of provocative posts. 

In my opinion provoking an argument and sitting back with or without popcorn to watch the results is a good way to "provoke" a ban.

But, we digress and are wandering off topic onto potentially thin ice.

Righto... wasn't sure if it was for that topic or something i didnt see 👍

Anyway with the weather starting to turn slightly rougher and colder I've noticed the pigeons and crows in my area following the more defined  flightlines that lead from the roosting woods so hopefully I'll have some luck myself

I would be happy to see Pigeons on anything at the moment as we seem to have very few in our area , having anymore shoots are looking very unlikely and I would be free to go on any of our Rape fields , with the weather of late being wet , murky and cold , it just don't seem worth the effort in setting up with the only outcome likely is being getting cold without firing a shot .

This afternoon I walked down the lane toward the marshes with my gun and the first shot taken in the new year was at a pigeon which was making it's way back to the marsh carr for a peaceful night rest , sadly his luck was out with a well placed shot from a vintage s x s and an even older shooter who pulled the trigger , when my four legged companion brought it back it was full up with Ivy berries and not a sign of any Rape leaves .

All The Best Everyone . MM

9 minutes ago, clangerman said:

no change here watching them this afternoon still reluctant to leave the trees any that do only pick few acorns up from edge of the rape and back to their branch most depressing 

That would have me wanting an air gun for a wee pigeon stalk under the trees. Must get round to getting that springer air gun I've been after!

Still big numbers on acorns in Hereford/ Sth. Shropshire with a few drifting onto Ivy berries. Not seen a bird on rape as yet...& had a good drive round Boxing Day. At least they are now taking acorns off the ground now, so may have a go at decoying them tomorrow as the Memsahib will be out on her horse for the day. Will charge up the Go-Pro tonight but may not need it?

Hope you Pigeon Watchers find a few in January...it's been a bit lean.

3 hours ago, clangerman said:

buy one i use a s510 almost as much as the semi auto will be back there tomorrow with it if it’s sunny 

It's on the to do list for this year, they will be focusing on renewals in the firearms branch though(live in NI so even sub 12lb/ft airguns go on licence) so I'll leave it a while yet, maybe give the wife a few hints for my birthday in march

I've seen some big flocks on old stubble lately, none of it i can shoot. If you have some its worth keeping an eye on. A 50 acre field behind my house that has been devoid of any birds since harvest has loads on it most days. Shooting is forbidden on the land thanks to 2 silly boys who upset the farmer. 

Lots of similar fields between the wolds and cost. I haven't seen any flight lines as such but then im travelling and not stopping, I'd hazard a guess that on anything less than a windy day they will depart for other fields after a shot or 2. 

Well did the deed this morning was on the field in the dark and setting up, only just got the magnet running and 12 FUDs out, birds were diving in before I was in the hide.

No cartridges in the gun and birds every where, managed to hit a few 6 for 13, yes I know that's bad but there was so many coming at once it was confusing me which one to shoot. After about 20 minuets it all stooped 13 in the bag, stayed another hour and added another 3. So worth the effort and leant a few things.

1/ Get there earlier.

2/ Take the 20 bore hush power. ( no wind to take the noise away)

3/ Do not have breakfast before you go have it when you get back.

So a very enjoyable session and pleased I went. Happy new year to you all.

Well did the deed this morning was on the field in the dark and setting up, only just got the magnet running and 12 FUDs out, birds were diving in before I was in the hide.

No cartridges in the gun and birds every where, managed to hit a few 6 for 13, yes I know that's bad but there was so many coming at once it was confusing me which one to shoot. After about 20 minuets it all stooped 13 in the bag, stayed another hour and added another 3. So worth the effort and leant a few things.

1/ Get there earlier.

That was a good result DEA.

If only I could get out of bed in the dark I would have a go at first light myself.

1/ Get there earlier.

As you say it was well worth the effort turning out at  first light , in the early days of osr I found it very productive getting on site before the pigeons left the woods , we only had one field of rape down the marsh in the late 70s with a bale hide in the middle , we were in the middle of a triangle shape of woods that held good number of pigeons in those days , with the bale hide you could shoot in any wind direction and they normally arrived as soon as it was getting light , within minutes pigeons came in to the decoys in very big numbers , after the first attack they went back to the woods and then started to drift back in much smaller numbers , this would continue till mid afternoon and then they stopped coming .

Now you don't get the amount of people out at first light like you did in the past , me included , if I don't see any during the day then I don't think I would see many first thing in the morning .

Now a lot of Pigeon shooters have got more time on there hands you might see more trying what you have just done .

THANKS for posting and All The Best For The New Year   MM

9 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I can't shoot on my perm before 0830 but was up there this morning watching crows flying over rape but not landing. No pattern to the flight seemed random. Once the snow started they disappeared but to where I dunno. 

Shot some rats in the barn instead. 

You do try very hard at this pigeon shooting lark. If I had anything definite I would gladly ask you along.