Thy have started on the rape.

dead eye alan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, old'un said:

He must have shot a bagful as he's not been on since this morning.

Terrible today, sat shooting rats this morning in the snow.Β 

No birds on or around the rape although 2 fields away where I don't have permission there was plenty laughing atΒ me from the trees.

Went to a different field, watched a flight line for half hour and birds settling in trees, walked them off, set up a hide and decoys........one bird whilst setting up, my son got that. Nothing after that, my son went for a walk to see where they'd gone, saw nothing other than pheasant. In the meantime I had a dog walker come visit, well not so much visit as just jumped out of her skin when I said "good morning, are you lost"? Apparently its too muddy to keep to the footpaths so there she was half a mile away from one! Son came back, still nothing. So we spent some time building a permanent hide and making sure in a few weeks/months it'll be grown over in natural vegetation. We can enter from the back with no disturbance other than getting a few decoys out.Β  See if it's still there this Friday πŸ€”

Back to rats, only managed 2 shots 2 rats although my son had plenty more.

Home for chicken and chipsπŸ˜‰

14 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Terrible today, sat shooting rats this morning in the snow.Β 

No birds on or around the rape although 2 fields away where I don't have permission there was plenty laughing atΒ me from the trees.

Went to a different field, watched a flight line for half hour and birds settling in trees, walked them off, set up a hide and decoys........one bird whilst setting up, my son got that. Nothing after that, my son went for a walk to see where they'd gone, saw nothing other than pheasant. In the meantime I had a dog walker come visit, well not so much visit as just jumped out of her skin when I said "good morning, are you lost"? Apparently its too muddy to keep to the footpaths so there she was half a mile away from one! Son came back, still nothing. So we spent some time building a permanent hide and making sure in a few weeks/months it'll be grown over in natural vegetation. We can enter from the back with no disturbance other than getting a few decoys out.Β  See if it's still there this Friday πŸ€”

Back to rats, only managed 2 shots 2 rats although my son had plenty more.

Home for chicken and chipsπŸ˜‰

Never mind at least you were out with your lad and shot a few rats, to be honest I don't think anyone is doing any good on the pigeons at the minute, they just ain’t hitting the rape.

14 hours ago, mossy835 said:

so in the lock down, you can still shootΒ vermin and pigeons after crops,

Β 

10 hours ago, mossy835 said:

are we aloud to roost shoot.with out a chance of being reported.

The way I understand it, and I don't go anywhere without checking with the senior FEO of my area, crop protection, vermin control and protection of livestock is allowed. However this time round only two persons on the land at any time. Shooting game or sport shooting is a strict no no.

I obviously can't say that in your area this will be allowed, only to check with a FEO or better still the senior FEO. Email or recorded phone call as proof.

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Β 

The way I understand it, and I don't go anywhere without checking with the senior FEO of my area, crop protection, vermin control and protection of livestock is allowed. However this time round only two persons on the land at any time. Shooting game or sport shooting is a strict no no.

I obviously can't say that in your area this will be allowed, only to check with a FEO or better still the senior FEO. Email or recorded phone call as proof.

Just to add to this if you have fox traps out it is law to check them every 24 hrs. Β 

21 hours ago, the hitman said:

A few showing interest in the OSR locally to me , however with the game season coming to an abrupt end I will be roost shooting rather that decoying until the OSR is there main food source.

Hitman

We were only discussing the fore coming roost shooting today , after the first lockdown I had to get a letter to class me as a key worker in case I got stopped by the law to say I wasn't making an unnecessary journey while keeping the Pigeons off our o s rΒ  , for the four weeks roost shooting we normally issue out around 25 / 30 permits to roost shoots in the woods , these cost Β£20 each and the money go to a good local cause and not into the estate bank account , the roost shooting is now a Grey area , due to this currant lockdown we cannot shoot game or anything purely for sport .

If we classed roost shooting as crop damage we would have to give each permit holder a letter to say they are key workers in case they were stopped.

What would be the law on this situation in the lockdown ?

Β 

31 minutes ago, marsh man said:

We were only discussing the fore coming roost shooting today , after the first lockdown I had to get a letter to class me as a key worker in case I got stopped by the law to say I wasn't making an unnecessary journey while keeping the Pigeons off our o s rΒ  , for the four weeks roost shooting we normally issue out around 25 / 30 permits to roost shoots in the woods , these cost Β£20 each and the money go to a good local cause and not into the estate bank account , the roost shooting is now a Grey area , due to this currant lockdown we cannot shoot game or anything purely for sport .

If we classed roost shooting as crop damage we would have to give each permit holder a letter to say they are key workers in case they were stopped.

What would be the law on this situation in the lockdown ?

Β 

I have been notifying the police via text message whenever I venture out , and I receive a log number via text message,

I was advised byΒ my local constabulary that vermin control was a more valid reason than crop protection for shooting pigeons in their eyes - I didn’t argue.

As long as they send me the log number then I will be covered if stopped on my way/return from shooting.

I imagine all constabularies will have their own views - and perhaps I was lucky enough to get advice from a police officer who is also a fellow shooter.

Hitman Β 

18 minutes ago, the hitman said:

I have been notifying the police via text message whenever I venture out , and I receive a log number via text message,

I was advised byΒ my local constabulary that vermin control was a more valid reason than crop protection for shooting pigeons in their eyes - I didn’t argue.

As long as they send me the log number then I will be covered if stopped on my way/return from shooting.

I imagine all constabularies will have their own views - and perhaps I was lucky enough to get advice from a police officer who is also a fellow shooter.

Hitman Β 

Cheers for that Hitman ...... I have just seen on the B A S C website that shooting is now allowed if you are by yourself or with one other person , plus you have to keep it local and is part of your exercise , so as all our permit holders come and help out on the shoot and live fairly local , I recon unless things are changed again they should be o k .

Good luck in the woods and STAY SAFE .

12 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Cheers for that Hitman ...... I have just seen on the B A S C website that shooting is now allowed if you are by yourself or with one other person , plus you have to keep it local and is part of your exercise , so as all our permit holders come and help out on the shoot and live fairly local , I recon unless things are changed again they should be o k .

Good luck in the woods and STAY SAFE .

Do you have a link?

10 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Do you have a link?

Dave ...Β  Β I can't hardly spell my name and my full name is only seven letters ,let alone give you a link , but I can tell you how to find it .

Click on the BASC website , then scroll down for the government latest advice on the pandemic , click on to that sentence and then scroll up and you will get a block with England , Scotland , Wales and N/ Ireland , click on to England and all the latest information is on that pageΒ :good:

8 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Dave ...Β  Β I can't hardly spell my name and my full name is only seven letters ,let alone give you a link , but I can tell you how to find it .

Click on the BASC website , then scroll down for the government latest advice on the pandemic , click on to that sentence and then scroll up and you will get a block with England , Scotland , Wales and N/ Ireland , click on to England and all the latest information is on that pageΒ :good:

Already found it and posted it above.

Cheers

Was out yesterday. Always ring the police force via 111 night before and get through to area required, usually North Yorkshire. Then give a description of fields to be shot over plus land owner/agents telephone number. Sometimes difficult to get through but there is a facility to get a β€˜ring back’ and I have always received a call within the hour so full marks so far. Usual questions are β€œ what type of weapon and do you have a dog with you?” Plus your telephone number. This is actually quite useful as I have had problems with the odd β€˜anti’ and have been rung up when on a field and asked politely ifΒ 

A, was it me shooting and

B any chance you can move further up/ down the field as some β€˜townie’ ( and that is usually the firearms officers description in theses areas) is moaning about noise/shot fall ( usually described as bullets landingΒ nearby)

Five minutsΒ friendly chat with the firearms and I move 20 yards. Sometimes works and sometimes not but the rozzers do the best they can so no use gun owners being owt but pleasant with them.

Boring I know but the field of osr I was asked to shoot already had a gas gun on it with a few pigeons but the main group were sat in the tree tops two fields away dropping down on some stubbles. Great as I could drive the field and unload my full load of gear including mini gas heater etc. Found quite a lot of single plants of volunteer rape which were absolutely eaten to the leaf skeleton. Set up and lo and behold, a following pair then only a single careless bird for two hours.

Now although the birds wer’nt actually doing damage on the stubbles, I also kept them off the actual osr field whereas the single gas gun was not doing any good so I consider my half day to genuinely be β€˜crop protection’

Went up to some fields in North Yorkshire and found not a pigeon on two really poorly established fields ( where I expected them to be gathering) yet a well eaten corner in a field where the plants were all near knee high! Bloody pigeon!!