Supermarket runners

figgy

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Razor blades,  shaving blades are like $10 for a tiny 3 pack over here.  I could easily get 1000k worth in a hand held basket.  Plus they are light so not to weigh you down when you run. 

I think he meant if you walk to a petrol station, what are you putting fuel in lol

you have thought about this though!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 01/01/2021 at 20:59, Benthejockey said:

I set the alarms off at our local area 7/10 times with my heavily armour plated leg. Security doesn't look going in and coming out he might come over to check you haven't got anything in the bag that will set the alarms off. Never checks receipts to see you aren't nicking. 

Happened to me in Tesco on Saturday. I set off the alarm and after a while, an overweight guard ambled out. Told him it was me and I’d paid, and he puffed and panted his way back into the store.

I used to work in a DIY store and one of the favourites there, was the thief would put a pressure washer on a trolley, pull off the plastic banding, open the box and fill any gaps with packs of Duracell, dimmer switches etc., then replace the banding.

They knew the alarms would go off due to the copper coils inside the machine and that staff would wave them through.

They’d then take it home, empty all their stuff and return the washer for a refund...

I scuppered one guy’s plans and he had over £2k of stuff in it 😮

13 hours ago, The Heron said:

If you walk into a petrol station and fill up and then say I have no means of paying they are stuffed. 

They’re using auto number plate recognition now. 

They will then send the driver a fee chasing letter asking for the fuel plus £150 fine. 

Similar to private parking fines. If they actually bother to take people to court I can see them winning as well. 

A friend of mine (retired solicitor) set off an alarm on the way out of asda..he refused

to go back inside because he had a train to catch..he was manhandle by a security guard and a member of the public.

He refused to show them his bag until the police came. (they had left a tag on a Sd card) he showed them his receipt and they

thought that was that........he sued them for thousands for false imprisonment and assault (over 2 hours till Police came) including

the member of the public who joined in.

5 minutes ago, daveboy said:

A friend of mine (retired solicitor) set off an alarm on the way out of asda..he refused

to go back inside because he had a train to catch..he was manhandle by a security guard and a member of the public.

He refused to show them his bag until the police came. (they had left a tag on a Sd card) he showed them his receipt and they

thought that was that........he sued them for thousands for false imprisonment and assault (over 2 hours till Police came) including

How does that help, sounds a real arrogant ****.

4 hours ago, Vince Green said:

There are websites that tell you how to steal from supermarkets, obviously I am not going to flag them up on here but as this is an article in a National newspaper it gives you a feel for the subject.

Nation of shoplifters: the rise of supermarket self-checkout scams | Crime | The Guardian

No excuse for theft  but no sympathy for supermarkets who expect us to do their job for them.

Blackpowder

When I was 17 my girlfriend used to work in Boots. 

People would come in with large gym bags, go up to the perfume isles (£30+ per bottle) and just swipe the entire shelf into the bag and walk out of the shop. 

Staff weren’t allowed to stop them in case they got hurt. 

They used to have funding for a security guard every other weekend! 

The offenders were often known to Police who would pick them up later on anyways. They’d be charged, get a very minimal sentence then be let out, with no prospect of a job, very limited income and poor circumstances. 

Obviously they would just go out and offend again then because it’s easy money. 

I don’t feel sorry for them but they are sort of stuck in a loop. 

The alarm went off for me a few months ago as I walked out.  Security came over, and asked politely to look at my receipt - which I handed over.  Checked 2 bottles I had bought (both correctly on receipt).  Wheeled trolley though again - alarmed again.  A further look in trolley revealed a pack of steak.  The 'tag' had not been deactivated - despite it being correctly on the receipt.  Without the steak, no alarm.  Very apologetic and I cannot criticise their actions - which seemed to me quite reasonable and proportionate.  It does happen - and if it happened again - I would be quite happy to be helpful and cooperative again.

2 hours ago, daveboy said:

I wonder why he wouldn't cooperate?

1 minute ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I wonder why he wouldn't cooperate?

He had a train to catch...they wanted him to return to store to check receipt, when he said no then they pinned his arms up his back all caught on CCTV. The store cctv was "lost" but he managed to get cctv from another shop in the street.

The only time there is security in the shops and pubs of my hometown, is during Fair Week. 
Youngsters will go round the Co-oP and Spar and pick up cans and bottles of pop/beer, and sweets etc, and consume them as they walk round the shop browsing the shelves, then dump the empties in the shop before walking out without paying. 

1 hour ago, daveboy said:

He had a train to catch...they wanted him to return to store to check receipt, when he said no then they pinned his arms up his back all caught on CCTV. The store cctv was "lost" but he managed to get cctv from another shop in the street.

How long would it have taken if he'd have said yes?

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

Only a matter of time before you will pay for fuel first then fill your car, unless you pay by card that is.

As they do in the US. Or at least all the petrol stations I have used.  And that also when paying by card. 

One of my first jobs was in a supermarket. Now and again they would clock a shoplifter and be ready to stop them. On one occasion a bloke about 6’6” and about 18 stone built like a brick **** house was filling up his coat with a load of meat, on his way out a store manager was ready to stop him all 5’6” and 9 stone wet through of him. This bloke set off running and the manager jumped on his back, the big lad never even broke stride with the manager swinging off his back. Meat flying all over the place. I was nearly doubled over with laughing.