How many Corvids killed in 2021

steve_b_wales

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Phone call this evening - just after the final whistle went in the Wales-Turkey match too :

Neighbour : I've got a problem crow, it's destroyed the swift's nest in the stable. I've managed to get 2 of the chicks back into the old nest from last year, but the crow's had 2 chicks, and is still around. I've tried shooing it off, and put up a couple of CDs hanging up, but it's still after the other chicks. Can you help ?

Me : (mental checklist : Conservation of wild birds, check. Other methods tried, check). I'll be over there in 10 minutes.

Get out the Air Arms S410, check pressure, grab some pellets, walk up the hill. As I get there, a crow lifts up from the yard and goes and settles on a fence post between the garden and paddock, about 25 yards away. The neighbour (lovely old lady in her 70s) comes out "There it is !".

Rest air rifle on the roof of her car and chamber a pellet. Gauge distance, shot lines up perfectly onto the crows chest. There's no wind. Squeeze trigger. Crow falls off fence.

Walk over to fence, put another pellet through crows head to ensure death - even though it's only twitching. 

Chat for 5 minutes, by which time the adult swifts are happily back swooping in and out of the stable.

A good job done in my book !

7 minutes ago, robbiep said:

Phone call this evening - just after the final whistle went in the Wales-Turkey match too :

Neighbour : I've got a problem crow, it's destroyed the swift's nest in the stable. I've managed to get 2 of the chicks back into the old nest from last year, but the crow's had 2 chicks, and is still around. I've tried shooing it off, and put up a couple of CDs hanging up, but it's still after the other chicks. Can you help ?

Me : (mental checklist : Conservation of wild birds, check. Other methods tried, check). I'll be over there in 10 minutes.

Get out the Air Arms S410, check pressure, grab some pellets, walk up the hill. As I get there, a crow lifts up from the yard and goes and settles on a fence post between the garden and paddock, about 25 yards away. The neighbour (lovely old lady in her 70s) comes out "There it is !".

Rest air rifle on the roof of her car and chamber a pellet. Gauge distance, shot lines up perfectly onto the crows chest. There's no wind. Squeeze trigger. Crow falls off fence.

Walk over to fence, put another pellet through crows head to ensure death - even though it's only twitching. 

Chat for 5 minutes, by which time the adult swifts are happily back swooping in and out of the stable.

A good job done in my book !

Best news of the day. Well done.