steve_b_wales

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hah Hah !!! found it.....

Just one this morning. Might have been two but also may have missed, anyway could not find it.   One came bye along the fence top on a mission, from my hide I can see 200yrds up a hedgerow to the next wood and this squirrel continued at pace up this hedgeside towards the wood which is 400yrds away. It did not pause. Amazing just how far these little beasties roam.

Anway a small start to the new year...

Well . my feeders and bird tables in the woods , have been full and regularly topped up. But , NO squirrels  at all .

I have checked the wildlife camera , and loads of birds including Magpies , and Jays. But no squirrels.

They are about , but they are not going near the feeders. 

Have they learned that the feeding area is dangerous? And are steering clear.

There is birdseed , Peanuts , Hazel nuts and sweetcorn . 

Baffled.

2 hours ago, Longbower said:

Well . my feeders and bird tables in the woods , have been full and regularly topped up. But , NO squirrels  at all .

I have checked the wildlife camera , and loads of birds including Magpies , and Jays. But no squirrels.

They are about , but they are not going near the feeders. 

Have they learned that the feeding area is dangerous? And are steering clear.

There is birdseed , Peanuts , Hazel nuts and sweetcorn . 

Baffled.

Not even with the recent cold weather?

You've killed them all !!!!!

I think it has something to do with it.  I have hammered two of my areas in the last two years and it has to have had some effect on the breeding numbers. Two years ago I would expect to shoot at least three a trip and five was not uncommon, even had nineteen on one outing. Now I am lucky to get two,three is a special morning.

Nice crisp morning tomorrow so will see if any turn up for breakfast.

4 hours ago, Longbower said:

No, not a single one.     I would have thought they would be desperate for food  at present. 

This time of year in the past ten years or so , numbers have been pretty consistent. 

You must have reduced the numbers enough that they can manage with the natural food that they have stashed.

Probably to the level they should be,  but I'm sure they'll be back.

2 hours ago, Longbower said:

I spoke to the Gamekeeper from the estate next to our woods. Who informed me that they have tripled the number of fen traps in the wood adjacent to ours.

And they have had great numbers of squirrels as a result.   Ahhhh, now the drop in numbers makes sense.

Another thing, we have just been out for a walk, couple of hours through the big local park,  lost count of the squirrels,  its the first time I've seen squirrels actually humping,  right there on the tree trunk, with a third attacking the male, my guess is another male wanting a go, or he could have been caught by his mrs?

4 hours ago, Longbower said:

I spoke to the Gamekeeper from the estate next to our woods. Who informed me that they have tripled the number of fen traps in the wood adjacent to ours.

And they have had great numbers of squirrels as a result.   Ahhhh, now the drop in numbers makes sense.

Hmm, fenn traps near Red Squirrels🤔