• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Longbower said:

There are No Red Squirrels anywhere near Arley Hall ,my friend

Red Squirrel confirmed sighting in Winsford, Haydock last year!

Preston Brook 2019. 
They can turn up pretty much anywhere in our area.

Much better for the Keeper to let you do Grey Control for him, by shooting. Shooting is selective. Fenn traps are not.

My daughter gave me a cold for Christmas (thankfully not covid)! So I haven’t been out squirrelling.

Finally got out yesterday, overnight the temperature had risen to a balmy 6 degrees after 3 days of snow and ice. I thought there would be plenty hungry greys about but everything in the woods was so quiet. No deer, game birds or pigeons. Lots of tree creepers and robins playing at being squirrels. I did spot what I think was a little owl in a fir (but didn’t want to disturb it by getting too close).

After about 3 miles of walking the final tally was just 2  greys and a couple more spotted at a distance- all foraging on the ground.- .410 and thermal.

Total 24

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Just two more this morning. The weather is not helping

No mud up here! The ground is frozen solid. It’s lethal trying to climb slopes with frozen leaves acting as ice skates! Perfect thermal weather- mind you we have had a few miserable days as well.

11 shot with .410 Hushpowers and some canine help.

Total 44

On 09/01/2021 at 15:40, Mice! said:

Another thing, we have just been out for a walk, couple of hours through the big local park,  lost count of the squirrels,  its the first time I've seen squirrels actually humping,  right there on the tree trunk, with a third attacking the male, my guess is another male wanting a go, or he could have been caught by his mrs?

Saw the same action on my fence 3 weeks ago, No backstop. Finding it impossible to tempt them into my zone so far, but keeping on.

1 hour ago, Sciurus said:

No mud up here! The ground is frozen solid. It’s lethal trying to climb slopes with frozen leaves acting as ice skates! Perfect thermal weather- mind you we have had a few miserable days as well.

11 shot with .410 Hushpowers and some canine help.

Total 44

Eleven!! Good day, good day 👏👏

1 hour ago, old man said:

Saw the same action on my fence 3 weeks ago, No backstop. Finding it impossible to tempt them into my zone so far, but keeping on.

Have you tried suet blocks? Fat balls? The worst thing that happens is you'll be helping the birds, they must be getting something they prefer from a neighbour. 

12 hours ago, Mice! said:

Eleven!! Good day, good day 👏👏

Have you tried suet blocks? Fat balls? The worst thing that happens is you'll be helping the birds, they must be getting something they prefer from a neighbour. 

Trying everything in rotation. Bird feeders and ground food always put out back and front gardens. They use back and side fences as motorways only very rarely coming off. Always going to feed at my neighbour who feeds crows, rooks, pies and everything else all day every day.

All my neighbours squirrel lovers and gun loathers, includes 2 serving officers and 2 retired so caution required. Good job I have as much patience as them.

They will however sit in my front tree and run all over the garden scoffing as they want.

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Certainly be careful then👍

Always the first thought mate. 

Disney has a lot to answer for here.

One just been sitting on the back fence taking rose buds and hips.

Been trying to get a reply from Area 244 grey squirrel group, obviously quiet at the moment due to lockdown.