• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Goldfish said:

174 for January trapped and shot

186 in December and 211 in November but they don't count, was too late to log them on the 2020 count 😁

Wow! Seriously impressive.

Is this fantastic figure done by yourself or as an organisation/syndicate?

How are you are you shooting them?

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

Out of curiosity, how do you prevent reds entering your Fenn traps, or are there no reds in your area? 

It’s impossible to prevent Reds being caught in Fenns. If you are remotely near a Red population and by that I’d say 10 miles, don’t use kill traps- Fenn, good nature or any kill traps. Live catch only in those areas

37 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

It’s impossible to prevent Reds being caught in Fenns. If you are remotely near a Red population and by that I’d say 10 miles, don’t use kill traps- Fenn, good nature or any kill traps. Live catch only in those areas

That’s why I asked. We have both reds and greys so have only ever used live catch traps. 

34 minutes ago, Goldfish said:

I don't, but not a red in the area, Id have to drive for 2+ hours to find any wild reds, its the mice I wish I could deter!

We often had pheasants in ours , those and trap happy reds! 

@GoldfishI think it’s great that you are controlling greys so effectively on top of your other work. 👍

Locally, Our Society, encourage landowners and keepers to control their greys. Like Scully, We are in a red area and only use live traps or shooting. We don’t shoot dreys unless we see a grey run in.

I have never caught a pheasant but hedgehogs can be a problem as can badgers playing football with the traps. Grrrr

Please continue to contribute to this thread and photos are always appreciated.

Cheers

Four this afternoon. I went to fill up a flip top that I knew was empty but was situated 400yrds across a 'bog'.  However a nice sunny afternoon and I struggled across there. Filled the feeder and spread a bit about.  Imediately I had a dozen nuthatches hitting the peanuts. An hour later the first appeared then a second and both did twitch. The third bolted into the bushes and I thought it was a miss (15yrds)  then another came in and was five yards away and that one jumped and stumbled off into the brambles with tail erect...suaually a sign of being hit.  I found the runner stone dead that one is the small  one . I searched for the other but the cover was too thick I am convinced it would not go far.  These HPs give a distinct sound on the hit.  The runner had gone fifteen yards with a hole through it's ribs in and out. Tough little beast.

002.jpg