steve_b_wales

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 05/05/2021 at 18:38, Sciurus said:

One large female trapped this afternoon.

Total 1117

@hatter how do you like the Mossberg? I find it’s a fun gun once I got used to treating it roughly- very agricultural but bomb proof. Enjoy using it.

I find the greys don’t like the sound of the gun being racked - don’t know why!😇

I’m enjoying using the Mossberg. It’s the first time I have used a shotgun on live quarry so l have plenty to learn. 

I love the sound the gun makes when it’s being racked. 

What cartridges are you using in yours? 

10 hours ago, hatter said:

I’m enjoying using the Mossberg. It’s the first time I have used a shotgun on live quarry so l have plenty to learn. 

I love the sound the gun makes when it’s being racked. 

What cartridges are you using in yours? 

My Mossberg is the Hushpower version because I shoot in sensitive areas (public land with lots of walkers and tourists etc) so I use 3” Eley magnasonic for quiet areas and 3” Eley magnums elsewhere. 

There are 5 or 6 of us up here using Mossberg .410s to control the greys. One chap swears by Hull High Pheasant.

Cheddite make a 24 gr subsonic, which is very very quiet because there is not much powder but a lot of lead. They would suit your gun if you were shooting behind houses. It patterns well but isn’t suitable for longer range shots.

I recommend making a couple of targets out of cardboard boxes and try a few different cartridges and see what pattern they make.  The pattern needs to be regular as you will often just be shooting at a squirrels head in the fork of tree, which is a pretty small target, luckily if you miss you will have 2 more chances with the mossy! 

My regular shooting pal amended his licence to convert his Mossberg to 5 shot, which is useful when persuading a hidden grey out of a fir tree.

Its definitely a gun that the more you use it, the more you will enjoy it and shoot better.

Keep us updated with your outings.

6 hours ago, old man said:

6 today. 2 old boars, 1 young boar, 1 young sow and 2 not recovered due to cover.

Feeders empty again and lots of playing kiss chase.

All with the AA s200.

Total 1133

Getting into them now 👍

10 hours ago, Mice! said:

Getting into them now 👍

Can only do it when they show up, a strange contrast in numbers showing?

This happened despite dreys having been done and a constant trapping routine?

it was our first warmish sunny day. 

1 hour ago, old man said:

Can only do it when they show up, a strange contrast in numbers showing?

This happened despite dreys having been done and a constant trapping routine?

it was our first warmish sunny day. 

It is strange, isn’t it?

When there was a lot of natural food about, it was hard to get within 50 yds (often more) before they ran off. Now they are staying put (watching) and paying the price.

I think it is down to the weather. Yesterday, it was ice, hot and sunny, cold and wet, windy and snow- take your pick!

Got to get them when you can.👍

2 hours ago, Sciurus said:

It is strange, isn’t it?

When there was a lot of natural food about, it was hard to get within 50 yds (often more) before they ran off. Now they are staying put (watching) and paying the price.

I think it is down to the weather. Yesterday, it was ice, hot and sunny, cold and wet, windy and snow- take your pick!

Got to get them when you can.👍

👍 The only way. All under 30 yards.

Left home this morning and it was already raining. I would not normally have made the 140 return trip but had some business to do whilst there so thought I would see how many tree rats carry umbrellas.  Arrived at the first spot overlooking two pheasant feeders and within minutes had two sitting chomping the corn. Flatteed one and the other did a runner. Thought, well thats that then, glanced left and there wa another on the other feeder. THWOCK!!! sorted. Shor story by 12 noon I had 12 down and out so i retired to do the bit of business.   Don't ever say tree rats will never come out in the rain. At one stage it was ratting down on my Landie roof and finding every nook and cranny to get inside and they still came to feed.  The joy was seeing hordes of yellowhammers and the Keeper calling to say an ornitholgist friend had said he had never seen so many small birds on an estate.

Nev, What a great result.

I used  to think greys didn’t bother to come out much in the rain but they often conspire to prove me wrong!

I haven’t seen a yellow hammer for years- lucky you. Just more reasons to control the greys.

@Mice! There was an article in this weeks BASC magazine about greys eating hazel nuts which is affecting the dormouse population- something perhaps to mention to  the Ranger at HH -apparently they haven’t seen any this year.

9 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

There was an article in this weeks BASC magazine about greys eating hazel nuts which is affecting the dormouse population- something perhaps to mention to  the Ranger at HH -apparently they haven’t seen any this year.

Long been said how they eat many foods before they are ripe, affecting lots of other animal's. 

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

had 12 down and out so i retired to do the bit of business.   Don't ever say tree rats will never come out in the rain. A

Super session Nev.

They will carry away my walnuts when the nuts are still in the green outer casing but tend to die doing it:yes:

How are we all doing numbers wise for this year? I see I am just ahead of last year and some of my flip tops are starting to be used after many weks of lying idle.

40 minutes ago, George1990 said:

Another 9 since posting. My feeder must be drawing in them in far and wide now. They empty the whole thing in less than 48 hours.  (25)

Have you got an open feeder? Is a lot of the feed on the floor?

Big non lactating female this morning.