food safe woods

elmar fudd

evening everyone, I've been asked by quiet a few people now to make them chopping boards so am going to have a few days over the next few weeks and get some made up, basically they all want various colour timbers in the patterns, so wanted to check which timbers were safe for a chopping board. i was thinking walnut, oak, maple, paduak, purple heart, and maybe sapele, are these all suitable or has anyone else got any other ideas? thank you in advance 

fudd 

Obviously steer well clear of Yew. Also purple heart is not 100% safe. Read somewhere it can cause Nausea. 

Olive wood is the got to choice as olive wood has antibacterial qualities. and is easy to look after. Just a coat of olive oil and its good to go.

Sapele would be too soft for a chopping board.

Edited by fatchap

ah never thought of olive. I've made quiet a few pieces in olive wood so kicking myself that i didn't think of it! off memory i think i had to use fast grab glue with olive l think, does it glue ok with a normal wood glue? colour wise i think i can use the cherry instead of sapele so that would be fine, thank you 

fudd 

I used sapele and oak for mine . It’s hard wearing and I’m not dead yet 😂
Iroko , Purple Heart are both no goes for me . 

4 hours ago, fatchap said:

Obviously steer well clear of Yew. Also purple heart is not 100% safe. Read somewhere it can cause Nausea. 

Olive wood is the got to choice as olive wood has antibacterial qualities. and is easy to look after. Just a coat of olive oil and its good to go.

Sapele would be too soft for a chopping board.

Sapele works great 👍