Well I feel like I did my part.

NoBodyImportant

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

Great stuff! 😀👍
Can you imagine all the bed wetting that would cause in the UK! 

People get emotional about fireworks so you could imagine how they'd feel about "a machine gun being waved around and firning willy nilly into the air" - say the bit in quotation marks in a screamy, wail type of voice.

2 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Do you hold it low because they are over charged? 

Looks great fun tho 

Yes, that’s why they wrap them in tape also.  The crowds cheering you on will cause you to keeps cramming more and more powder into them until it fails.  Poeple also packs different chemicals and magnesium in them to cause bigger and colorful explosions. 

1 hour ago, billytheghillie said:

Is that in Cherryville North Carolina?

Yes, it starts in Cherryville at midnight

59 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

Only in America!! 😅

Is this a specifically regional thing or more widespread?  I've never heard of it.

How many injuries on average are sustained every year from participating in this tradition?!!

I like it though.

It’s regional,  but there are many small pockets around the eastern US where the German murmurs settled.  Supposedly back in the day religiouse leaders would get drunk go from village to village and ward off evil in return the villages would lay out liquor and sweet treats.  There is a large group that still does traditionally but mostly today it’s just random people driving around to peoples friends and families house firing up into the air for no reason what so ever other then to make noise.  We have every year people petition to stop it but many of the shooters are police.   The on duty cops will drive by while your packaging a musket in the side walk and wave at you.  It’s a tradition most people laugh off and .001% absolutely spend way to much effort to stop.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant

A little video about the history. Not mine.  But nobody really buys into the witch and evil spirits thing.  

1 hour ago, Jim Neal said:

How many injuries on average are sustained every year from participating in this tradition?!!

In the Cherryville shooters club not many injuries.  But in the many copy cats that spring up, yes there is blood every year.  

Unfortunately the photos have been removed by either the poster or host of most of the PW bisley meetings from 07/08.

Snotty's cannons were ace to fire, never mind how excitedly he would tell everyone; "They have killed Frenchmen!", I think he might have been a brexiteer

If I have time and the laptop doesn't die doing it I will post some from back in the day

Edited by henry d