Extra ir

scarter

I have a pard 007 and a photon xt.

What are the best additional ir’s for these? 
it doesn’t need to be anything super flashy as I’m not shooting stuff at silly ranges. 
the Yukon has a picatiny rail on one side so an ir the goes on there would be useful.

I was looking at a t20 as this looks like it would Go on the photon picatiny rail? 

let me know your thoughts 

700F6B61-E79B-4957-9C78-8E3FC5EAAD5A.jpeg

Edited by scarter

T20 is shameful junk that's OK if you are happy to accept a torch that has a very floppy head: suitable for hand carrying rather than hoping the beam will coincide with your point of aim. That is because their zoom function is a very coarse slack multi start thread.

They were bandied about as the holy grail when LED zoom torches first appeared because it was about the only one - and it got bulled up to ****

These are the new must have that will far outperform a  standard 850nm T20 and it has barely any head slop compared to the past-it T20. Be advised - do not look into the torch beam!

https://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk/black-sun-v20-vcsel-laser-ir-illuminator-c2x33577972

5 hours ago, Dave-G said:

T20 is shameful junk that's OK if you are happy to accept a torch that has a very floppy head: suitable for hand carrying rather than hoping the beam will coincide with your point of aim. That is because their zoom function is a very coarse slack multi start thread.

They were bandied about as the holy grail when LED zoom torches first appeared because it was about the only one - and it got bulled up to ****

These are the new must have that will far outperform a  standard 850nm T20 and it has barely any head slop compared to the past-it T20. Be advised - do not look into the torch beam!

https://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk/black-sun-v20-vcsel-laser-ir-illuminator-c2x33577972

Can you get a scope mount and picatiny mount to fit the one in the link U sent? 

Hello, before you decide on the torch you mention take a look at the new laser I/R torches, they come in 850 and think 940 , 2001 and 2002 models, as what Dave G mentioned and he knows his stuff on torches, and night vision, I have a T38 with I/R L e D pill on a Photon and tried this new model in 850 Nm  hence the 38 is redundant, I use 18650 flat top battery and figure of 8 thumb screw torch clamp, 

7 hours ago, Dave-G said:

What’s the difference in the laser ir? Does it give an improved picture through through night vision? Currently running a big standard ir torch - what difference would I notice?

1 hour ago, Rossco89 said:

What’s the difference in the laser ir? Does it give an improved picture through through night vision? Currently running a big standard ir torch - what difference would I notice?

Hello, a good deal better beam and improved view, Dave G will know technical info, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

2 hours ago, Rossco89 said:

Range. I understand the Pard's to be IR hungry so laser should make a huge difference.  

I don't know what the field of view projected for these torches is but laser will most likely be narrower beam than led so you may have to change beam focus between close range sub 50m and long range +150m targets. If it's just for shorter ranges than this will not be a problem. Also I would guess that there will be more artefacts in the image (marks and lines) when zoomed. Laser is also more likely to spook a target than led, maybe. 

3 hours ago, Rossco89 said:

Time marches on: Just as LED's were a big step forwards compared to filament bulbs, the VCSEL diodes have taken another huge leap forwards.

The light produced by the VCSEL laser is in layman's terms compressed into a much tighter beam with zero diverging overspill outside the beam. Its also a much cleaner light than the old lasers that some still have laying about. 

A quick Google can tell you much more than I could: https://www.google.com/search?q=VCSEL&oq=VCSEL&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65j69i61l2.3133j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

4 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Time marches on: Just as LED's were a big step forwards compared to filament bulbs, the VCSEL diodes have taken another huge leap forwards.

The light produced by the VCSEL laser is in layman's terms compressed into a much tighter beam with zero diverging overspill outside the beam. Its also a much cleaner light than the old lasers that some still have laying about. 

A quick Google can tell you much more than I could: https://www.google.com/search?q=VCSEL&oq=VCSEL&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65j69i61l2.3133j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Hello, thanks Dave, 👍

5 hours ago, scarter said:

Can you get a scope mount and picatiny mount to fit the one in the link U sent? 

Here's a real handy twin rail adaptor for a torch clamp that gets a torch to the side of an imaging device.  there are single rail ones too. https://www.google.com/search?q=VCSEL&oq=VCSEL&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65j69i61l2.3133j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Another idea here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-4mm-Clamp-20mm-Picatinny-Rail-Mount-Flashlight-Torch-Laser-Scope-Weaver/353309679274

2 hours ago, oowee said:

Range. I understand the Pard's to be IR hungry so laser should make a huge difference.  

I don't know what the field of view projected for these torches is but laser will most likely be narrower beam than led so you may have to change beam focus between close range sub 50m and long range +150m targets. If it's just for shorter ranges than this will not be a problem. Also I would guess that there will be more artefacts in the image (marks and lines) when zoomed. Laser is also more likely to spook a target than led, maybe. 

All pards have VCSEL laser IR's but they aim exactly ahead. When the retical is placed mid screen the laser often swamps out the foreground which the camera tries to shutter out. An additional illuminator is best used aiming just above centre screen to light up longer range so the foreground has less flooding. Pards, like most 'new' NV devices use HD CMOS cameras that require more light than the old CCD cameras. This offers swings and roundabouts: moderate range sees much better resolution imaging in more (smaller) pixels but longer ranges are better served with CCD because their larger pixels load up light more efficiently.

Google would explain that much better than me. :oops:

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, a good deal better beam and improved view, Dave G will know technical info, 

Hello, nothing wrong with a T20 or other torches but most depends on having a good I/R pill, I still have a 501b and T20/38s with original leds, now with these new VCSEL laser pills and using with night vision it's a far better clarity and the laser type beam goes far beyond most shooting ranges, even a night vision spotter will benefit using these new torches, and the price you can buy compared to a top end laser torch will be a popular purchase under £50, that's not to say the £100 plus laser torches will be less used it all depends on your night range and type of night vision that suites you, 

Just for the record I have one of Dave Gs NV units and IR he fitted and a LOT of foxes have learned not to like it.  The Hawke IR I Have I use as a back up but also as the main illuminator on another NV inferior to Dave's but useful on an air rfile for short ditance ratting.   It is all down to what you need ..20yrds or 300yrds.

I was involved in the development of the UF 2001 and 2002 vcsel illuminators, that is to say that I asked the manufacturor of the well known T20 850 and 940 Nm. IR illuminators to develop and produce a new illuminator based on vcsel technology.          I tested several prototypes for them and made suggestions for improvements.
The 2001 may look more modern but is heavier and less flexible in mounting, so the 2002 is the one to choose.
There are a lot more illuminators on the market, most of them much more expensive but not better and certainly not if you consider price-performance ratio. For the odd £50 you are expected to pay you cannot buy anything with similar, let alone better performance. These are simply the best for the money you spend on them.
 A lot more about these illuminators can be found on Night Vision UK in the illumination forum. 
And no, I do not gain any profit by sharing this information here!

Hello, I have a Pard 007 with Hawke S/F scope, and a Photon X T and even a MK 1 Photon 5 x 42 , I can get 200 yards with the 007 on board I/R , 150 yards with the XT I/R. using a TR 38 with led pill on the MK 1 a 100 plus yards, I have never thought to the try Sirius XT I bought some time ago due to the extra weight, I have watched videos of the top 3 laser type I/R torches using XTs and 007s and can say when I tried this new UF 2001 torch as reindeer mentioned for the price it's a excellent torch, add this to an 007 or XT without the I/R it will do more range than your ever need, I tried it on my MK 1 at 100 yards and it was on the lowest setting with half flood beam, therefore I surmise with a spot beam on high setting the 007 should do 250 yards plus, any more distance then the 3 main laser type torches we know will be a better buy, 

• 9 months later...
On 02/01/2021 at 22:08, scarter said:

I have a pard 007 and a photon xt.

What are the best additional ir’s for these? 
it doesn’t need to be anything super flashy as I’m not shooting stuff at silly ranges. 
the Yukon has a picatiny rail on one side so an ir the goes on there would be useful.

I was looking at a t20 as this looks like it would Go on the photon picatiny rail? 

let me know your thoughts 

700F6B61-E79B-4957-9C78-8E3FC5EAAD5A.jpeg

Hello, what I/R did you get for the Yukon XT ?