Duck Eggs

fatchap

Just had a blazing row with the wife over breakfast this morning, She got a dozen fresh duck eggs off a work mate yesterday. They are covered in ****. She did egg on toast his morning and I refused to eat them. 

Don't get me wrong despite how bad duck eggs are apparently for you, high in cholesterol, fat and salt I do love a duck egg. but from the supermarket.

Fresh duck eggs so I have read have to be thoroughly cooked and not advisable to use in cakes. Hard boiled and not runny if fried or poached. 

My two duck eggs where runny like how I have hens eggs.

She got the hump and threw them away, saying if we believed everything on the internet we would eat not anything.

So can any of you lads make me right or wrong on this are fresh out the duck, eggs safe? I beleive from the supermarket they are pasteurised though not 100% sure on that either but feel safer eating them as you know the supermarket wouldn't sell them otherwise. There is quite a high risk of salmonella from duck eggs if they are not cooked properly through.

Edited by fatchap

How on earth would you pasteurise an egg and not cook it? 

I probably would have washed the **** off them before bringing them in the kitchen, other than that I have eaten hundreds and hundreds of soft poached/boiled/fried duck eggs from my own ducks and from friends. Always been fine. 

Edited by ClemFandango

1 hour ago, ClemFandango said:

How on earth would you pasteurise an egg and not cook it? 

I probably would have washed the **** off them before bringing them in the kitchen, other than that I have eaten hundreds and hundreds of soft poached/boiled/fried duck eggs from my own ducks and from friends. Always been fine. 

+1

no idea how I am still alive the number of duck eggs I have eaten runny, in cakes and even as home made mayonaise when hens eggs were not available.

Are we not in danger of losing our natural resistance by always eating sanitised food?

Yes, there is some danger with all foods so you have to weigh up the risks and make your own choice.

A runny duck egg is one of my favourite snacks, especially served on hot toast covered in a 1/8th inch layer of salted butter !

Iv never had a bad reaction from eating them pal.

Stock up on toilet roll (just in case) and give them a try :good:

Alpen for breakfast ?  That's just wrong 🤦‍♂️🤣

I can do duck eggs but no more swans eggs for me. I took some from a nest which had been washed out by the River Tweed and abandoned. They were not off but the sheer volume of the yolk made me queezy. The yolk plus white filled the bottom of a large frying pan to a depth of 1".

I did a bit of googling and it turns out you can pasteurise eggs without cooking them. Which I would have thought would be impossible so every day is a a schoolday. Thanks Fat Chap. 

Easy enough to do at home apparently and it doesn't affect the egg for cooking later so if you were really worried you could do that.

https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/how-to-pasteurize-eggs/

I don't think there's any need though other than your piece of mind.