Birding Year List

chrisjpainter

Does anyone do this? I'm going to commit this time and do a proper list. I'm not going full blown twitcher, covering hundreds of miles and ticking of obscure warblers and turning into Dorset's very own Lee G.R. Evans, but I would like to see what's around and what I see throughout the year. 

If a mod stumbles on this and thinks there would be enough interest, might we have a sticky for interesting sightings? A low key equivalent PW equivalent of Rare Bird Alert?

Anyway, it'd be nice to know I wasn't the only one on PW listing this year! Anyone got any targets they'd love to see?

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would love to see the greenfinches bounce back and the hordes of yellowhammers which where about in my childhood.  I did see a hen greenfinch this week and know of half a dozen yellowhammers on an old fasjioned farm I shoot on.    I do make note of any unusual sightings in a Book of Brtish Birds, the dates etc.

One benefit of being hard ontree rats is that all of the farms I shoot on have boomed with songbirds and any of you in areas where these invasive parrakets are then hammer those as well.

Just now, Walker570 said:

I would love to see the greenfinches bounce back and the hordes of yellowhammers which where about in my childhood.  I did see a hen greenfinch this week and know of half a dozen yellowhammers on an old fasjioned farm I shoot on.    I do make note of any unusual sightings in a Book of Brtish Birds, the dates etc.

One benefit of being hard ontree rats is that all of the farms I shoot on have boomed with songbirds and any of you in areas where these invasive parrakets are then hammer those as well.

In fact a listing in VERMIN for parrakets would be a good idea.

Well I'm no twitcher, far from it, but have always been interested in our birds 😏 Don't keep lists or diaries but memories. I'd also love to see the greenfinches make a return, and haven't seen a bullfinch for many years, so would love to see a pair or two. Turtle doves are more than welcome to come and say hello too 🙂

And making this thread a sticky is a great idea 👍

Edited by JKD

I saw a Hobby this year when out fishing.It was taking mayfly from the sky just above my boat. I was pulled into an island waiting for the gnat to fall and was able to watch him.for around 20 minutes. 

Not an extreme sighting in parts of the U.K but this far north and west they are very rare.Looking up records it was only the second one ever recorded here.

I would love to hear Corncrakes again but fear that will never happen.

Its got to be greenfinches for me as well ,at home we used to put out 2 long bird feeders full of sunflower seeds every other day and they would all be gone and last year we saw one pair but at different times. And yellow hammers ,on a farm I go the hedges are left and some rough there is about 15_20 but years ago I would like to farm with my farther and would see hundreds .

I had loads of Goldfinches on the Nyger seed feeder last year with a few Greenfiches normally a pair,  the same with Bullfinches.

I tend to take note when I see something new, this week I think I had a Willow warbler on the fat balls,  according to my book it's the most widely distributed of all the birds that visit Britain in the breeding season,  but I'd never seen one. It wasn't letting the Blackcap get a look in.

The thing is its also supposed to be in warmer climates now in Southern Africa.

14 hours ago, Mice! said:

I had loads of Goldfinches on the Nyger seed feeder last year with a few Greenfiches normally a pair,  the same with Bullfinches.

I tend to take note when I see something new, this week I think I had a Willow warbler on the fat balls,  according to my book it's the most widely distributed of all the birds that visit Britain in the breeding season,  but I'd never seen one. It wasn't letting the Blackcap get a look in.

The thing is its also supposed to be in warmer climates now in Southern Africa.

We have loads of greenfinches on our feeders. I would love to see bullfinches as they were so common when I was a lad. I have only seen one in the last twenty years

8 hours ago, yates said:

We have loads of greenfinches on our feeders. I would love to see bullfinches as they were so common when I was a lad. I have only seen one in the last twenty years

The male certainly stands out when he appears, they are normally on the sunflower hearts,  I'll have to keep better records this year. Never had more than the pair together though unlike the Golds or Greens.

Not many Chaffinches lately though.

On 03/01/2021 at 18:47, Walker570 said:

In fact a listing in VERMIN for parrakets would be a good idea.

We have plenty of Greenfinch visiting our feeders. I saw three at the same time yesterday. They were outnumbered by 10 Goldfinch at the same time.

3 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

We have plenty of Greenfinch visiting our feeders. I saw three at the same time yesterday. They were outnumbered by 10 Goldfinch at the same time.

Excellent. I hope they bounce back here.  Our neighbour has the goldfinches as she is closer to the wood/orchard.  Just checked with a friend in Stratford upon Avon and he has not seen any parrakets yet.

27 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Excellent. I hope they bounce back here.  Our neighbour has the goldfinches as she is closer to the wood/orchard.  Just checked with a friend in Stratford upon Avon and he has not seen any parrakets yet.

There are Parrakets flying over a wood to roost where I shoot. They are not roosting in my wood but it is a distinctive call as the fly off in the morning.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

They've been turning up in North Wales, but just the odd one or two and probably not in the winter! I'm surprised we've not had more on the South Coast. Just the occasional ad hoc sighting. It'd be a tick for the year, but I can't say I'm disappointed they're absent!

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing that unusual around, the blackcap (which I always want to call flatcap) is a regular visitor to the fat balls,  coal tits are always in view, I've mixed crushed peanuts (expensive) with sunflower hearts and the little birds love them, Song thrush is still a regular.

Pair of dueling robins this morning really going at it, usual pigeons, blackbirds,  blue and great T.

I haven't noticed the Wrens lately or Dunnocks.

And we normally see a kingfisher if we walk down the river, also a pair of Goosanders landed on the river this morning. 

Outside my hotel room window and within 20m today I have seen a single guillemot, an eider, a pair of red breasted merganser and a mallard.  Two days ago a white tailed sea eagle flew 30 m over my head.  Not great numbers of birds, in fact very few, commonest are hooded crows, but a different range of species than I would expect to see back home.