Birding Year List

chrisjpainter

34 minutes ago, henry d said:

Slightly tangential. When we first moved to central Scotland I never saw a magpie until around 1995 and now we are seeing them daily and during our walk today saw six in a tree, which is not remarkable. 

I used to comment on this when travelling on the train, I tended to not see a magpie until around Glasgow or Edinburgh,  but they were spreading north.

6 minutes ago, scolopax said:

Outside my hotel room window and within 20m today I have seen a single guillemot, an eider, a pair of red breasted merganser and a mallard.  Two days ago a white tailed sea eagle flew 30 m over my head.  Not great numbers of birds, in fact very few, commonest are hooded crows, but a different range of species than I would expect to see back home. 

That's certainly different 😃

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have still got a wagtail visiting a dirty pond alongside my tree rat hide.  Not sure which, but not a pied.

Since I have knocked over 200 tree rats out of these two small woods I have seen a huge influx of nuthatches with them fighting and lining up to grab peanuts off the flip top feeder. 

Grey Wagtail? very grey on top, yellow on the bottom. If it's less grey on top, it could be a yellow wagtail? But then it all gets very complicated with crosses and subspecies!

I've struggled up to 90 for the year so far, with several disappointing absentees. I've still not seen a greenfinch or any owl. I've heard plenty, but I'm wanting to see them to tick them. Divers, owls, a few more sea birds and that might get me to 100 by the end of the month. A lot of luck needed...

14 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

That's it.  Grey wings and back yellowy white underneath and a lined face. I thought grey but should they not scuttle back to warmer climates in the winter?

Saw the song thrush again, same area which was good news as they are rare around here.

No, they're mostly all year rounders in the UK. You get a micromigration of birds leaving upland/heathland areas, but they're only there in small numbers anyway. They're a delight to watch, certainly my favourite of the three.

iPad photos from my room window so not the bast quality.   I am currently in a quarantine hotel in southern Norway prior to a work trip

birds seen on daily exercise this last few days>

redwing, fieldfare, blackbird, robin, great and blue tits, starlings, magpie, hooded crow, pheasant, mute swan, 2 grey geese poss Pinks, mallard, wigeon, teal (just 1), goldeneye, eider, scaup, common scoter, velvet scoter, red breasted merganser, guillemot (1), woodcock, wren, various large gulls, white tailed eagle, ****, cormorant, great northern diver.

most frequently seen are the various sea ducks, *****, hooded crows and magpies. There were lots of mallard and wigeon six weeks ago but a recent very cold spell (harbour froze) has moved about two thirds on. The real rarity was the single teal, last one I saw here was back in September.

E3D8E9CA-7FC3-4DF9-8652-6A6E4BFD51EA.jpeg

EC45EFE9-770F-4A18-88D6-8EC9A3E18570.jpeg

Edited by scolopax

• 3 weeks later...

EXMOUTH HAS A MOCKINGBIRD.

I don't know precisely where, but it was reported a couple of days ago. If anyone's lucky enough to be local enough to the bird, this is only the third ever, so might be worth using your lockdown exercise to have a twitch, if you can get a more accurate location than just 'exmouth'! 

17 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

WE HAVE ANOTHER LAMMERGEIER! This one's been seen slumming it in Norfolk - Fakenham area. Definitely different to the previous bird and no idea yet whence it came. If you're in the area, keep an eye on the sky for a wedge tailed barn door.

Two hours gliding from the Alps in those strong Easterlies.

The same winds were responsible for thousands of bird deaths on the East coast. Nineteen Woodcock were found dead on a two mile stretch of beach just South of Skegness.

On 12/02/2021 at 20:03, chrisjpainter said:

WE HAVE ANOTHER LAMMERGEIER! This one's been seen slumming it in Norfolk - Fakenham area. Definitely different to the previous bird and no idea yet whence it came. If you're in the area, keep an eye on the sky for a wedge tailed barn door.

Last year we had a Great White Egret around for most of the Spring and early Summer , this morning if it was the same one then it had found itself a mate as there were two standing on the grazing fields about 100 yards away from where I was standing . haven't seen the Lammergeier yet , think it have been seen in the mid Norfolk area where there is plenty of forestry land around the Thetford area .

47 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Last year we had a Great White Egret around for most of the Spring and early Summer , this morning if it was the same one then it had found itself a mate as there were two standing on the grazing fields about 100 yards away from where I was standing . haven't seen the Lammergeier yet , think it have been seen in the mid Norfolk area where there is plenty of forestry land around the Thetford area .

image.png.b95cda2ec40135f2ed44d4d2160837e7.png

• 1 month later...
On 11/02/2021 at 04:06, Mice! said:

I've been seeing a few Chaffinches around my squirrel feeders, seems like  it much but they  haven't been around in my garden for a while.

I saw the first one for ages down here in West Leicestershire/ 4 Counties. Just one hen bird. Used to see dozens but may have gone the same way as the Greenfinches.

One joy whilst sitting in one of my woodland cabins, was a Great Tit tidying up the entrance to a box I put up last year.  A second bird landed on the perch and the first bird shot out of the hole and a serious fight took place for a minute or more.  Also our green woodpeckers where 'yafferling' away up in the poplar trees also feeling randy as well.

Great time of year to just sit and watch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/04/2021 at 09:00, JTaylor91 said:

First swallow spotted on this mornings dog walk

Excellent news. I had my best bird of the year this morning. A wryneck. Apparently it hadn't been seen for about 6 hours, but 20 minutes I after I showed up, it appeared and was very obliging for at least the next hour, long after I'd gone off to find pied flycatchers (dipped on them. Boo)

3 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Excellent news. I had my best bird of the year this morning. A wryneck. Apparently it hadn't been seen for about 6 hours, but 20 minutes I after I showed up, it appeared and was very obliging for at least the next hour, long after I'd gone off to find pied flycatchers (dipped on them. Boo)

I would love to see a Wryneck. I have never seen one and doubt that I ever will.

• 2 weeks later...