Birding Year List

chrisjpainter

On 10/06/2021 at 19:04, Walker570 said:

Sat back in the same cabin I sighted the bullfince and within minutes it returned to feed on the maize and peanuts on the floor.  About the best I could get with my limited camera. My wife was with me and said she had not seen one since she was a child.  It hung around for about twenty minutes so hoping it has a mate sitting nearby.  Also saw a mass of great tits come diving in, obviously new out of the nest.  Killed another magpie and another two tree rats today which I am sure is giving us this amazing amount of bird life. 

003.JPG

004.JPG

Great picture,  we are still seeing our pair daily on the sunflower hearts,  I'm hoping the young appear at some point. 

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, twenty said:

An Egyptian Vulture has been spotted on the Isles of Scilly, if it is a wild bird, it is the first seen in the UK for more than 150 years.

Quite the shock for someone, no doubt. I suspect this will be confirmed, but it's puzzled me that there have not been more records. There are populations in Spain and an isolated few in France; I'd have expected one to overshoot earlier than this, particularly being a vulture species and thus capable of sustained long distance flying. 

If it had been on the mainland, I'd have been sorely tempted as I love vultures. A vulture would be one of the very few birds for which I'd break all more normal bird watching/twitching rules! The 2016 Lammergeier is the only bird for which I've broken every rule in the book to spot - and I didn't even see it!

8 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Quite the shock for someone, no doubt. I suspect this will be confirmed, but it's puzzled me that there have not been more records. There are populations in Spain and an isolated few in France; I'd have expected one to overshoot earlier than this, particularly being a vulture species and thus capable of sustained long distance flying. 

If it had been on the mainland, I'd have been sorely tempted as I love vultures. A vulture would be one of the very few birds for which I'd break all more normal bird watching/twitching rules! The 2016 Lammergeier is the only bird for which I've broken every rule in the book to spot - and I didn't even see it!

Yeah it's an unusual one isn't it, I've seen plenty of Egyptian vultures in Spain, but this bird is thought to have crossed from Northern France, probably Brittany.

Edited by twenty

1 minute ago, London Best said:

I was in Norfolk last week and thought I saw a hoodie, but decided I must have imagined it.

You could well have seen it, only reported today, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there last week ,

Another was reported in Kent on the 14th, although this could be the same bird.

THRILLED.  Either we have a wonderlust cock bullfinch or we have three in and around the village as one suddenly appeared in our garden this evening.  600yrds from my first sighting where it has been seen regularly since and the other 300yrds in the other direction, whic is possible to be the same one. Hope not.   Been here for 30years and this is the first sighting and we spend many hours sitting watching, killing tree rats etc.  Hope they are on the rise again.

29 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

THRILLED.  Either we have a wonderlust cock bullfinch or we have three in and around the village as one suddenly appeared in our garden this evening.  600yrds from my first sighting where it has been seen regularly since and the other 300yrds in the other direction, whic is possible to be the same one. Hope not.   Been here for 30years and this is the first sighting and we spend many hours sitting watching, killing tree rats etc.  Hope they are on the rise again.

Maybe this is a brood of youngsters you are seeing.........eggs laid in April, would give fledged youngsters by late May or early June.

Walking back to my house yesterday and a male sparrow hawk to a sparrow fledgling off our road less than 15 yards ahead of me. Barely broke its swoop, the fledgling was cheeping away in its talons. 

Had a pair of coal tits on the feeder this morning. We normally have plenty of long tailed tits but haven’t seen any this year. 

13 minutes ago, twenty said:

White spotted Bluethroat at WWT Slimbridge yesterday, a passage migrant from Central Europe.

I had two of those ................ (you know the rest).

A Marsh Warbler was seen on the coast here yesterday. 

2 hours ago, JDog said:

It brought along some of its mates, a Caspian Tern, two Common Cranes a Glossy Ibis and a Ruddy Shelduck.

Wow, nice to have mates like that.........can't match those, but a Quail at Coombe Hill (Tewkesbury),yesterday, and an Osprey along the Severn at Epney,

PS....... 3 juvenile Nightingales spotted at Highnam Woods yesterday, (this years).

All the best

Edited by twenty