Birding Year List

chrisjpainter

16 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

The last week or so we seem to be inundated with Pied Flycatchers all along the Norfolk coastline. Sightings from Burnham Overy, Blakeney point, Holme, Winterton and Beeston Common to name but a few. It would seem the autumn migration is well underway.    

Same here along the Lincolnshire coast. Common Rosefinch (anything but common) sighted, netted and ringed.

Edited by JDog

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last winter got some close up views of a pair of water rail, very obliging as they fed along a hedgerow in full sight. We often get peregrines in off the coast hunting and training their young ones. Had gannets diving on mackerel whilst out kayak fishing here in s.devon. A favourite walk on the river dart almost always produces goosander, dipper and kingfishers.

8 minutes ago, JDog said:

There is a White Tailed Lapwing at Blacktoft Sands. A rarity.

Not a rarity such as the white tailed lapwing, but this did remind me of an albino lapwing that visited the same field near me every winter for about seven years. 

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to seeing the Pinks heading North yesterday I saw a raft of 300 plus Common Scoters, not a bird I have seen in any numbers before. 

I read up about them and an interesting fact emerged. They apparently migrate from the Irish Sea over land and over night to the English Channel before heading North to breed.

13 hours ago, JDog said:

835 Pinks South off Sutton on Sea yesterday between 10 and 2. They will be in Norfolk by now, soon to be on sugarbeet tops.

If that is the case then they will be bang on time , normally arrive down here around the third to fourth week of Sept after spending a few days up north of the county . the only drawback is as far as I know is they haven't started lifting the beet yet , in fact I went past a field of beet today and the leaves had wilted as if it was the height of the Summer , due to get some rain over the next few days .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, JDog said:

Snow buntings at Theddlethorpe yesterday.

I must look those up. I had a cock and hen bird on my feed table last week and they just didn't fit. Not chaffinches and not bullfinches. Maybe ?????

The hen bird was brightly speckled bit bigger than a chaffinch. The male bird  was lighter than a chaffinch on top but had a bib which appeared pinkish and white / grey below. Doesn't quite fit with the snowbuntingg shown on youtube. Could they have been immature.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I must look those up. I had a cock and hen bird on my feed table last week and they just didn't fit. Not chaffinches and not bullfinches. Maybe ?????

The hen bird was brightly speckled bit bigger than a chaffinch. The male bird  was lighter than a chaffinch on top but had a bib which appeared pinkish and white / grey below. Doesn't quite fit with the snowbuntingg shown on youtube. Could they have been immature.

Could they have been Brambling ?

I will have a look in my bird book and on youtube. Thanks

You cracked it twenty. Just looked on youtube and it was a brambling,  a pair. First sighting for me and first in our little 10 acre wood.  Many thanks.

Note in diary accordingly.

All the small songbirds, nuthatch etc where hitting the feed tables this afternoon about 3pm I think they know it is going to be a cold night. Frost a possibility. Their weather man is more than often more precise than ours.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I will have a look in my bird book and on youtube. Thanks

You cracked it twenty. Just looked on youtube and it was a brambling,  a pair. First sighting for me and first in our little 10 acre wood.  Many thanks.

Note in diary accordingly.

All the small songbirds, nuthatch etc where hitting the feed tables this afternoon about 3pm I think they know it is going to be a cold night. Frost a possibility. Their weather man is more than often more precise than ours.

Good to know that you have seen your first Bramblings.

7 minutes ago, JDog said:

Good to know that you have seen your first Bramblings.

Yes, we are a long flight in from the coast and of course they will be fairly common along the east coast. Pleased they dropped in for a feed before maybe moving on. We now have seven feed tables around our 10 acre wood. I just set pallets on four half rounds legs and closed the gaps. each table has a live catch cage modified with a nut feeder in the end. Cost us a fortune but well worth while