• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First lot of blackbirds fledged 4 yesterday. Robins were close as well, but got predated by feline. Lotti's nest in brambles but lost to climbing badger. Dogs off lead got moorhens eggs and trashed duck nests. Mistle thrush feeding young and little owls being very entertaining.   NB

Have just seen a pair of bullfinches in my wood, so they have obviously settled in. I also saw a pair of linnets this morning at the golf club. I have not seen linnets for many many moons. There used to be hundreds if not thousands nesting in a swath of gorse bushes on the roadside above our farm, now gone beneath the M42.....Progress:mad:

Saw a pair if lesser spotted woodpeckers getting jiggy today. Not seen any in ages. Literally had hundreds of brambling my way in recent weeks and through Winter. Never known such numbers. Had loads of folk noticing them and sending me pics asking what they are. Still few fieldfare and odd redwing about. One local farm/shoot Rung over a 1000 birds last month. Highlight was 2nd ever firecrest. Saw hummingbird hawkmoth yesterday. Didn't see any last year. Fairly sure they over winter in the ivy on my house and sheds. Grey partridges doing well, see/hear them most days and thankfully seeing less buzzards.      NB   

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

First sighting of a Swallow for this year , 10 / 14 days earlier than last year , they say one Swallow don't make a Summer but it is still nice to see the first one and should be the hottest it have been so far this year for this coming weekend . Bring it on I say .

House Martins have arrived here in Gloucestershire as well,.........hope the forecast is right for the weekend, pouring down here at the moment,

2 minutes ago, twenty said:

House Martins have arrived here in Gloucestershire as well,.........hope the forecast is right for the weekend, pouring down here at the moment,

First morning I walked down to the estuary without a coat on , the first cattle are already on the dried out grazing marshes and the horses should be within the next few days , most of the breeding wildfowl are in pairs now and the Swans are getting the nests ready .

No sign of rain and it is still looking good for the long weekend :good:

Just a spatter of welcome rain overnight and could do with some more...nice and steady...

Sat in one of my cabins in our wood and was pleased to see the bullfinches back, along with blue and great tits and nuthatches. Chaffinches still in flocks and a welcome sight of a greenfinch so hoping they are making a comeback.

I moved a nest box last year and was pleased to see a pair of bluetits packing it with moss. So much in a beak I don't know how they could see to fly. Amazing little bird almost ignored as 'common'.

Well. I will try again. My wife retrieved this nest from the middle of one of the rides in our wood. Obviously torn out from a nearby bush but hardly damaged.   I can't for the life of me remember ..does a song thrush plaster the inside of the nest or a blackbird ????    some 70 years since I had a fair egg collection and hedges would be heaving with nests of all kinds.

This one is lined with what look like wood chippings and stuck together with mud.  Beautiful bit of work.

024.JPG

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Well. I will try again. My wife retrieved this nest from the middle of one of the rides in our wood. Obviously torn out from a nearby bush but hardly damaged.   I can't for the life of me remember ..does a song thrush plaster the inside of the nest or a blackbird ????    some 70 years since I had a fair egg collection and hedges would be heaving with nests of all kinds.

This one is lined with what look like wood chippings and stuck together with mud.  Beautiful bit of work.

024.JPG

That's a Song thrush nest, the blackbird does  form the cup in mud, but then lines it with rootlets and grasses.

Cheers twenty, I thought that was it. Great pity because it looks like a this years nest and the first I have seen where the mud lining looked like stockboard with the wood chips all smoothed out. Doesn't show really well on the photo  Amazing what these birds will do.  Not so many about these days and would have liked to see a family in the wood. 

20 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Cheers twenty, I thought that was it. Great pity because it looks like a this years nest and the first I have seen where the mud lining looked like stockboard with the wood chips all smoothed out. Doesn't show really well on the photo  Amazing what these birds will do.  Not so many about these days and would have liked to see a family in the wood. 

Taken off the Red list for birds in conservation danger about three years ago, now Amber listed ( not of immediate concern)..........UK breeding population, circa 1,200,000 breeding territories..........a wonderful Songster, go to RSPB Song Thrush, on line, and give it listen.

All the best.