Birding Year List

chrisjpainter

8 hours ago, Shufti said:

Song thrush were fairly common when I was a kid, now even hearing one these parts is rare.

What you think of slug pellets effect on these birds?

Surely must be poisoning them?

Research into falling numbers of Song thrush, found that the degradation of  their feeding and nesting areas such as hedgerows and wet ditches, and increased land drainage and tillage, reduced earthworm and invertebrate prey on farmland,

Grazed cow pastures and woodland have also been lost or degraded in many lowland areas.

All the best.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes thanks Twenty,

I am aware of all the pressures on all our wildlife.

Looking up Metaldehyde , a key ingredient in these things it is a poison.

Everyone banging on about lead and yet thousands? of tons of pellets used in gardens ,let alone farmers fields!
I discourage  there use ,although perhaps hippocratic?  I have used ant powder very occasionally.

My own simplistic view!

Followed a hen sparrowhawk chasing what looked like a hedge sparrow yesterday. we were travelling at abot 25 mph .  The sparrow was sticking close to the hedge and dodging over the top and back again, trying to avoid getting caught and as the hedge was closely trimmed,  I think it was far to thick for it to dive into. Eventually they both vanished over yhe hedge into the field after about 50 yards.  Would have loved to know the outcome.

Heard a cuckoo today, but up on the edge of the moorlands, cannot recall the last I saw/ heard here in the arable lowlands. They seem almost to be a bird of heath and moor now. 

three weeks ago I saw the black browed albatross that has been gracing Bempton Cliffs. Certainly an impressive bird.

On 27/04/2022 at 13:17, Shufti said:

Yes thanks Twenty,

I am aware of all the pressures on all our wildlife.

Looking up Metaldehyde , a key ingredient in these things it is a poison.

Everyone banging on about lead and yet thousands? of tons of pellets used in gardens ,let alone farmers fields!
I discourage  there use ,although perhaps hippocratic?  I have used ant powder very occasionally.

My own simplistic view!

Totally agree Shufti

The indiscriminate use of all these products is ridiculous as is the stupid way much of the publi9c plants their gardens with flowers / trees / bushes from other countries

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Great to see two cock Bullfinch return to one of my feed tables yesterday. I saw a hen bird last week but being two cock birds together probably the hens are hopefully sitting.   All the time spent on vermin species is paying off.

Good man 

Yes we have a pair regularly by the house now. Good to see.  Unfortunately we had a wrens nest ripped out by a ###### peacock belonging to a neighbour. Chicks about two days old and it ate the lot but one. Caught in the act.  Verminous things all over everyones gardens and property. I wonder just how many other small birds they destroy.

On 12/05/2022 at 07:55, Walker570 said:

Yes we have a pair regularly by the house now. Good to see.  Unfortunately we had a wrens nest ripped out by a ###### peacock belonging to a neighbour. Chicks about two days old and it ate the lot but one. Caught in the act.  Verminous things all over everyones gardens and property. I wonder just how many other small birds they destroy.

Time for you to find out what peacock tastes like!  :cool1:

Hello, heard no cuckoo this year yet 🤔🙄 this is the 2nd year, before that it was a nice spring surprise call, very disappointed 👎

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, heard no cuckoo this year yet 🤔🙄 this is the 2nd year, before that it was a nice spring surprise call, very disappointed 👎

Did found a peacock in my sons garden last year, came from the big estate mansion house in the village , pesky thing made a right mess on his new patio 🙄😁

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

On 26/04/2022 at 22:51, Shufti said:

Song thrush were fairly common when I was a kid, now even hearing one these parts is rare.

What you think of slug pellets effect on these birds?

Surely must be poisoning them?

I was told that Thrushes and wrens are very susceptible to predation because of where they nest, but we get plenty of wrens.

The thrush to blackbird count in our garden must be ten 2 one, similar sizes but different diets, so it has to be more than just predators,  because the squirrels have been hammered. 

We've been out of our house for 4 months, sitting here now watching the birds is fantastic,  we've had Gold and Green finches again on the sunflower and nyger seed, 6mtrs from the doors, then it's the usual busy little birds, blue, great and long tail tits, blackbirds and pigeons everywhere,  Dunnock and wren.

@NatureBoy @twenty so what do you make of this then, you can find sizes for different bird boxes, but I don't think she's read them.

Screenshot_20220518-121231_Gallery.jpg.a55bffab825be5019ee7e526cc631478.jpgScreenshot_20220518-121239_Gallery.jpg.786a6fac9f8e7c36ee0a80e43e87a05c.jpg

It must have taken her ages to fill that upthem going to put up a camera to see if she's using the feed point to get in and out, if so I'll strap down the lid.

7 hours ago, Mice! said:

I was told that Thrushes and wrens are very susceptible to predation because of where they nest, but we get plenty of wrens.

The thrush to blackbird count in our garden must be ten 2 one, similar sizes but different diets, so it has to be more than just predators,  because the squirrels have been hammered. 

We've been out of our house for 4 months, sitting here now watching the birds is fantastic,  we've had Gold and Green finches again on the sunflower and nyger seed, 6mtrs from the doors, then it's the usual busy little birds, blue, great and long tail tits, blackbirds and pigeons everywhere,  Dunnock and wren.

@NatureBoy @twenty so what do you make of this then, you can find sizes for different bird boxes, but I don't think she's read them.

Screenshot_20220518-121231_Gallery.jpg.a55bffab825be5019ee7e526cc631478.jpgScreenshot_20220518-121239_Gallery.jpg.786a6fac9f8e7c36ee0a80e43e87a05c.jpg

It must have taken her ages to fill that upthem going to put up a camera to see if she's using the feed point to get in and out, if so I'll strap down the lid.

That's a lot of nesting material in there, she must be using the feed point, as you say.

Blue tits have been recorded nesting in some very unusual places, such as letter boxes, litter bins, pipes etc, they only need a hole of 25mm and a reasonably sized void beyond the entrance hole.

A few years ago a pair of Blue Tits nested in an emergency life jacket container at Kew Gardens,