chrisjpainter

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Another success.  Three fledglings and their parent on our feeders this morning. Greenfinches.

Brilliant. 

We had a single young Goldfinch this afternoon,  just a ball of fluff with gold bars on its wings, along with young Dunnock and robins. 

On 24/06/2022 at 15:40, Walker570 said:

Yes, suddenly starting to see a few.

We were at the coast yesterday and there were plenty about in amongst the sheep.

Family of Goldfinches ravaging the Nyger seed, and a hen Bullfinch sat on the sunflower hearts in my garden at the moment 😁 loads of Dunnocks about as well.

25 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

A bit tragic this morning as my neighbour found a dead green woodpecker on her lawn, not a mark on it. This last few days they have been chattering at each other so whether a fight between two cockbirds or not we will never find out.

Funny enough, I once found a dead Green Woodpecker in perfect condition outside a big glass door that led to the tea rooms in the hall gardens , there was a similar glassed door dead opposite and I believe the bird couldn't see the glass and flew into the door thinking it could go straight through to the other side , it didn't go to waste as it was set up and put on display in the main hall where the public visit .

On 06/07/2022 at 01:27, ninjaferret said:

I have a pair of blackbirds, believe it or not, feeding their 3rd brood.

Suddenly almost overnight the heavy geeding on our feeders by the house and the feed tables in the wood has almost dropped to zero.  I can only assume most if not all nestlings have flown and eating natural food.  Blackbirds will struggle this next three or four weeks with the ground like concrete and no worms.

The last time I saw turtle doves was in Slovenia. Have not seen one here in the UK since I was a boy.

Edited by Walker570

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Suddenly almost overnight the heavy geeding on our feeders by the house and the feed tables in the wood has almost dropped to zero.  I can only assume most if not all nestlings have flown and eating natural food.  Blackbirds will struggle this next three or four weeks with the ground like concrete and no worms.

The last time I saw turtle doves was in Slovenia. Have not seen one here in the UK since I was a boy.

Blackbirds won't struggle i'm looking after them, fed like royalty and watering the lawn twice a day at least...

15 hours ago, twenty said:

A TURTLE DOVE spotted  at Epney (GLOS), yesterday (11/7/22). 

One of their last strong holds here! See adults and pairs daily. Never tyre of them. They quieter now. Some well grown young out on a few sites and reports of others locally. 3 young down feeding other day. Some on second and third attempts. Expanding those numbers is the hard thing! "Conservation" orgs will not admit publicly that predator control is essential if we really are going to help them. Emotion and money over real conservation.  They really don't need a lot. Little of the right mixed habitat and food. 3  successful pairs on just 7 acres the best site. Scruffy big gardens, equestrian sites and mixed small holdings just as important to keep them going as any farmland sites. But rarely get mentioned, because no money or grants attached and they more interested in farmer bashing. These sites easier to manage and monitor to. Even though the "science" is flawed and there is more than the 2,200 odd pairs they speak of i think sadly they will go. . . . . Corn buntings nested successfully again. Yellow wagtails had 2 broods on same farm again. Tree sparrows doing well on a new site. Wild pheasants well feathered up and english looking well . , , . Green Sandpipers and green shank passing through local water. . . . . . Seeing good numbers of hummingbird hawk moths daily  last few weeks. . . . . Rescued some huge swan mussels the other day from a tiny dried up stream. No idea how they got there unless someone dumped them.        NB  

On 12/07/2022 at 23:39, ninjaferret said:

I also have a few thrushes coming into the garden, loads of gold finches and green finches stripping the cherries off the trees. And at night there's a lovely Tawny owl who loves to screech outside the bedroom window at silly o'clock...

We have a resident Thrush, can be seen several times a day at the moment bashing snails on different hard points around the garden 😁

On 12/07/2022 at 11:04, Walker570 said:

Suddenly almost overnight the heavy geeding on our feeders

Certainly less sunflower hearts going in mine, I know the birds will be eating bugs now and caterpillars like they should be. 

On 05/07/2022 at 18:06, Walker570 said:

All finches seem to have bounced back this year from the disease

It was nice seeing the Chaffinches Wednesday,  strange how colourful they seemed.

I thought it was worth mentioning,  I cleaned my car yesterday then headed to work, around 60 odd miles and the front of the car and wing mirrors are covered in dead flies and moths, so despite it being so dry there are plenty of bugs out there.

• 4 weeks later...