Barrel Browning at home.

Velocette

This is the result of re-browning a rusty old Damascus SxS  12 bore belonging to a friend. First I rubbed down the remaining old browning, then drawer filed and polished to 800 grit all the rest. A two hour etch in mild Boric acid solution, a wipe down then a shorter etch in copper sulphate solution brought out the pattern nicely. I used the slow browning solution from Peter Dyson next at the rate of one coat then a card down then re-coat every 24 hrs for 6 days. A final wipe light card then a sluice down in bicarbonate of soda solution to neutralise the acid . A good wipe with linseed oil thinned a little  with some turpentine repeated twice over a week then left to dry in the airing cupboard. I found the ideally humid spot for rusting in my old coal cellar which worked a treat. I protected all the metalwork inside and outside the barrel from unwanted  rust with Renaissance Wax.

IMG_8123.JPG

8 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Renaissance Wax. Can it still be obtained? Old Mr Brady used to recommend on his bags using Mansion Wax. But that's long been no longer on the shelves.

Yes, its still available. I got some online last year after my supplier at the local museum retired !

1 minute ago, Rob85 said:

Would love to see the whole gun, them barrels are beautiful

Unfortunately he collected it this morning I only had time for Mrs V. to take quick shot of the pattern. The plan was to share the  gun on driven partridge on Wednesday when we planned for a better photo shoot, though it seems that it will have to wait now.

4 minutes ago, Velocette said:

Yes, its still available. I got some online last year after my supplier at the local museum retired !

Unfortunately he collected it this morning I only had time for Mrs V. to take quick shot of the pattern. The plan was to share the  gun on driven partridge on Wednesday when we planned for a better photo shoot, though it seems that it will have to wait now.

Yep seems like it will be a wait til restrictions ease(again), I'm just awaiting the two dunderheads in northern ireland coming out to say something about lockdown or not for us.

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

Renaissance Wax. Can it still be obtained? Old Mr Brady used to recommend on his bags using Mansion Wax. But that's long been no longer on the shelves.

Hello, as mentioned yes you can still buy, I used on metal detector artifacts, you maybe able to buy direct from Picreator Enterprises Ltd, London