2 3/4 AND 3"

Shearwater

Hi all, one of the lads has just bought a used Browning 525 and I noticed on the barrels the markings are:

2 3/4" AND 3"

the "and" is in capitals which to a layman like myself means importance, but why has it got both sizes stamped why not just 3" ?

Just puzzling me and since we can't go play thought I would ask to fountain of all knowledge PW

Stay safe lads

19 minutes ago, Shearwater said:

Hi all, one of the lads has just bought a used Browning 525 and I noticed on the barrels the markings are:

2 3/4" AND 3"

the "and" is in capitals which to a layman like myself means importance, but why has it got both sizes stamped why not just 3" ?

Just puzzling me and since we can't go play thought I would ask to fountain of all knowledge PW

Stay safe lads

Can't be 100% but i would guess it's a 3" chamber, meaning it can shoot 2 3/4" cartridges too and it's  proofed for both

28 minutes ago, arjimlad said:

The steel proofing will be marked with a fleur de lys. Not every 3" gun is steel proofed. 

My Browning 525 has the same chamber length markings as the gun you mention, and the fleur de lys, but obviously check for the fleur de lys on the steel side of things. 

It has the fleur de lys for steel but may I ask how old is your gun, this one has letters MT after the serial number so guess that's 2006, right?

The dual cartridge marking is odd nowadays but not at all so odd in the past. Commercial market Webley revolvers would be marked on the barrel as .450/.455 on the MarK VI and on the earlier Webley WG would be marked .455/.476. I recall American made .22 Rimfire rifles stamped by their maker as ".22 Short, Long and Long Rifle" and so on. But on a shotgun it does seem a bit "stating the blooming obvious" to mark it not only 3" but also 2 3/4". 

Edited by enfieldspares

Chambers are slightly tapered toward the cones . The deeper the chamber the wider it is at the breech . As a result you can experience problems with extraction if using 2&1/2" lightweight cases . The makings of 2&3/4" / 3" is a way of saying dont use shorter shells .

A story   I heard about  Ruger when complaints about extraction and ejection problems with their Red Label guns , was that " these are American guns made for 3" American shells . If you are using that short European **** you have to expect problems .True or not it has a grain of reality .