Legality

Bigbob

What happens with all this snow and ice if there are cars, vans parked on both sides of a road and someone turning a corner etc hits one ? But the owner to get cheaper insurance has stated to the insurance company his /her  car would be garaged or on there drive ? Do the insurance company's check these facts ? or just take the hit and sort out the claim ?.

While the week of snow and frost here wasn't as bad as the big snowfall years ago where all the cars from side streets lined the main roads as they couldn't get out  the side streets there was a fair few left out on the roads 

While I agree to a point, it should me made mandatory to have a off road allocation for parking with every new build. It will never happen though, far too much money in land lost. In my mind this is essential if the goverment want electric cars dominating the road in a decade but that's off topic. 

I dont know about insurance, but both mine are registered off road outside my garage even tho i have 1 space. Nobody checked to date

1 hour ago, London Best said:

When I come to power, if you haven’t got off street parking you don’t have a car! Parked cars are a bloody nuisance.

I agree while the wife bought this house for the extra rooms i bought it for the garage and the drive i could park 5 cars on it till i stuck a drive threw garage attached to the house LOL 

But while saying my car is garaged my car is parked on my drive  its done to knock a bit off the price of insurance ? then they park out on the road 

I think its like all the folk who where furloughed and delivery stuff now they didn't take out commercial insurance anther case of ripping off the insurance company 

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

While I agree to a point, it should me made mandatory to have a off road allocation for parking with every new build. It will never happen though, far too much money in land lost. In my mind this is essential if the goverment want electric cars dominating the road in a decade but that's off topic. 

I dont know about insurance, but both mine are registered off road outside my garage even tho i have 1 space. Nobody checked to date

The opposite is the truth. Builders would like and no doubt would provide more parking if they were allowed. Design guides generally limit parking to encourage sustainable travel.

Edited by oowee

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

AND on the wrong side of the road at night time with no lights..  Would have had a ticket in my time and on the pavement.

My pet hate is pavement parking. Pavements are for pedestrians not cars no matter how wide the pavement maybe and how narrow the road.

Remember when we had to display parking lights overnight? 

Wo betide you if you parked facing the wrong after dark.

I suppose it's whether they can prove whether it was parked there regularly or not? 

The last flat I lived in came with one space but it was cheaper to have the car insured to be parked on the road.

Always wondered about the cars that were parked on top of junctions, if one of those was hit, would driver be covered? 

They would be on dodgy ground I would say from experience, if they paid cheaper insurance to be parked off road and they are parking on road and something happened

I'm sure the insurance company would look into it, they dont like paying out,sounds like there would be difference in views.

When I insured my motorbike and read the policy document,the bike was only insured at the home address when it was in the garage.

15 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Remember when we had to display parking lights overnight?

Good luck leaving the sidelights on in a modern car.

At least the introduction of DRLs (Daylight Running Lights) with all new car type approvals from 2012 has meant the ejiots who used to drive around with their sidelights on (contrary to the highway code) to save 'wear and tear on the bulbs' have largely disappeared.

You can bet the insurance companies check all the small print if it will give them a way out of making a payout. I told my bike insurer my bike is garaged overnight. I'm covered for theft anywhere, including my garage, but if it's stolen from my property but not in the garage, the excess doubles. 

Builders and planners are most of problems with new builds ,when I did a bit of gardening work fencing etc the garages you could not get the car in without taking the drainpipes off and that was just a small car the downpipe was over the door. And I think people just like outside front door because they are blxxxx lazy.

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Good luck leaving the sidelights on in a modern car.

At least the introduction of DRLs (Daylight Running Lights) with all new car type approvals from 2012 has meant the ejiots who used to drive around with their sidelights on (contrary to the highway code) to save 'wear and tear on the bulbs' have largely disappeared.

DRLs that should only be on when it is daylight, but just seem to be another unnecessary set of lights much like the auxiliary (fog) lights.

Having had to of made some claims over the years i firmly believe that insurance is there to not pay up if there is any way they can get out of it. I had a very big claim on a Range Rover and this guy on the phone from the insurance company had been through my policy with a fine tooth comb, our conversation was being recorded and it really felt like he was trying to catch me out to say I was doing something that was not on my policy. Answer all questions correctly on the application or you may regret it latter.

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

True, but older vehicles can be driven off-road in the evenings without alerting the whole neighbourhood.   Useful for honest citizens, as well as for poachers.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

DRLs that should only be on when it is daylight

Not quite, they are on when the ignition is on, and the headlights are not.  Optionally, they are allowed to dim if the headlights are switched on.

They were mandated precisely because people seemingly didn't switch on their headlights when they should've done, especially in poor light conditions.  So, they followed the Swedish model in required all manufacturers to introduce this functionality.

1 hour ago, McSpredder said:

True, but older vehicles can be driven off-road in the evenings without alerting the whole neighbourhood.   Useful for honest citizens, as well as for poachers.

Agreed, useful for Lamping/NV. Nothing stopping you from adding a DRL kill switch for off-road forays on a more modern vehicle

6 hours ago, walshie said:

You can bet the insurance companies check all the small print if it will give them a way out of making a payout. I told my bike insurer my bike is garaged overnight. I'm covered for theft anywhere, including my garage, but if it's stolen from my property but not in the garage, the excess doubles. 

Same here with the bike insurance, if it's at home only covered in the garage. 

Another odd one is an Auto Sleeper camper, if it is parked at my home address it has to have an after market steering lock fitted, if it is parked round the corner or on site no Crooklok required. 

Apologies to OP for the slight wander off course, 

Atb Steve. 

On 05/01/2021 at 15:11, strimmer_13 said:

I agree with you but there is too much corruption in the local planning departments for that to happen.  I tried to extend my 3bed house to a 4 bed but wasn't allowed due to not having one space per bedroom.  So I moved across the road in my village into a new 4 bed house with two car parking spaces.   You can't make it up and they wouldn't have that as my argument when I fought against the planners.    Ludicrous 

19 hours ago, Morkin said:

Builders and planners are most of problems with new builds ,when I did a bit of gardening work fencing etc the garages you could not get the car in without taking the drainpipes off and that was just a small car the downpipe was over the door. And I think people just like outside front door because they are blxxxx lazy.

Sounds like a dodgy builder to me. 

1 hour ago, mattyg1086 said:

I agree with you but there is too much corruption in the local planning departments for that to happen.  I tried to extend my 3bed house to a 4 bed but wasn't allowed due to not having one space per bedroom.  So I moved across the road in my village into a new 4 bed house with two car parking spaces.   You can't make it up and they wouldn't have that as my argument when I fought against the planners.    Ludicrous 

You should have appealed.

Where was the corruption was it because you did not get your way? What was the over all parking ratio on the new build? 

Some of the new build planning permission round here states 1.4 car parking spaces per dwelling. 
this is averaged out over the entire build that includes 5 / 6 bedroom houses that I would put money on becoming HMOs upon sale. 
Garages also count as a space. 

There are a few properties with huge drives due to the layout - these are all included in the estate average some being classed as space for 5 or 6 cars (they are single width long drives)

When asked the builder stated they have actually put more parking in than required - on paper yes but in reality .... there is one property with parking that is just under 6ft in length?! This is evened out by the drive next door that is double car length.

madness