Very strange email....

JKD

I know a lot of members on PW get strange/odd emails,,,, I get them too. But I've never seen anything like this one 🤔

There was a link attached, and obviously I clicked on it,,,, NOT !!!  I just don't get the "message".

Can anyone figure out what I might be missing out on ? 🙄😂

Sorry for poor quality of screenshot 😏

IMG_20210105_165211.png

6 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Presumably the message is supposed to be odd enough to tempt some feeble minded sap to open the link.

Well I just googled the two names and it appears that there are two quotes making up that "message". The second quote is sort of understandable,,,, if anyone can understand the first one then they must be an errrrr, an MP, for example 😜😂

If there is no link in there it may be to “clean” an old email database so that it can be sold.

What might be happening is that an invisible image is included in the email. When you open the email the image is downloaded and your email address is flagged as being live. It’s a process known as “spotlight tagging”.

There are millions of email databases floating around online which can be obtained for free. Most of the addresses inside are dead; think of anytime you’ve had to sign up for something and entered “x@x.com” instead of disclosing your actual email. Other addresses are genuine but for accounts that are never used other than to sign up for things.

If someone wanted to make a few quid they could download a million-odd addresses, run an automated blast to send out some random text and then filter out the good addresses that actually opened the email. You could then sell this data as live, tested and active.

5 minutes ago, JKD said:

That makes sense Munzy, thanks. There was a link BTW.

Ah, sorry I misread that bit!

Probably a combination of the two then, hope you’ll click the link to something dodgy and at the same time clean the data.

3 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

Also the rambling nature of the text will go through junk and spam filters.

Yes, exactly.

1 minute ago, Munzy said:

Ah, sorry I misread that bit!

Probably a combination of the two then, hope you’ll click the link to something dodgy and at the same time clean the data.

Yes, exactly.

I never click on links from unknown senders of emails 😏

This came from a friends email address,,,, well the same name, different [very odd] address. It was deleted once I'd taken a picture of it ✌️

32 minutes ago, Munzy said:

If there is no link in there it may be to “clean” an old email database so that it can be sold.

What might be happening is that an invisible image is included in the email. When you open the email the image is downloaded and your email address is flagged as being live. It’s a process known as “spotlight tagging”.

There are millions of email databases floating around online which can be obtained for free. Most of the addresses inside are dead; think of anytime you’ve had to sign up for something and entered “x@x.com” instead of disclosing your actual email. Other addresses are genuine but for accounts that are never used other than to sign up for things.

If someone wanted to make a few quid they could download a million-odd addresses, run an automated blast to send out some random text and then filter out the good addresses that actually opened the email. You could then sell this data as live, tested and active.

I'm sure that is going on all the time.:good:

24 minutes ago, JKD said:

I never click on links from unknown senders of emails 😏

This came from a friends email address,,,, well the same name, different [very odd] address. It was deleted once I'd taken a picture of it ✌️

just as its from a trusted friend dosnt mean its safe to open..........my very good mate...used to send me e-mails from round robins that had done the rounds......all his stuff used to go straight into the junk folder.....he swore blind he had a good firewall and cleaner........i flatley refuse to open any e-mail from him...as when i first did so ...all sorts of carp used to happen...........

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

just as its from a trusted friend dosnt mean its safe to open..........my very good mate...used to send me e-mails from round robins that had done the rounds......all his stuff used to go straight into the junk folder.....he swore blind he had a good firewall and cleaner........i flatley refuse to open any e-mail from him...as when i first did so ...all sorts of carp used to happen...........

It wasn't actually from my friend.... Same name, which is a MCsomething, but different very odd email address ending with jb or something 😉 Anything I get that looks suspicious gets deleted 👍