Encouraging Snipe with bloodmeal

42 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Shooting Snipe is a sport in it's own right.

If the intention is to shoot Snipe you wouldn't wander round armed with a tightly choked gun with three inch shells up the spout that contain large shot , you would be idearly armed with a light gun with fairly open chokes with small shot cartridges in the chambers , you will always hear about the guy who shot a Snipe using BBs from full choke gun at 60+ yards and the same chap would tell you about the goose he got at a greater distance with open choke using 24grms steel 8 shot , yes it can be done but not recommended ,  when you are walking up Snipe you need to be switched on as soon as one jump up in front or either side of the path you are walking , when one jump you are locked on to that Snipe and you have only got a split second to decide weather it is a Common Snipe or the Jack Snipe which is protected in the U K , so as my reactions are no longer quick enough and I don't eat Snipe I now leave well alone and get all my sport with slightly bigger quarry .

I understand that Jack Snipe will sit almost until you stand on them whereas common will lift earlier also common are more likely to call when disturbed, I remember reading that the trick to Snipe is wait until it voids !.  As said I leave them alone

18 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

I dont - because it allows me to make a compelling argument to my family and our land agent not to drain and 'improve' seven and a half acres of what is the only marshland around for miles.

👍

8 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I understand that Jack Snipe will sit almost until you stand on them whereas common will lift earlier also common are more likely to call when disturbed, I remember reading that the trick to Snipe is wait until it voids !.  As said I leave them alone

That theory could well be right , but would it work in all weather conditions ? , like the birds sitting tighter in icy conditions , or even how often the ground is shot over , like I said , some would know as soon as they lift up , but others would only know when the dead bird is in the hand , not the ideal way to go about Snipe shooting :hmm:

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

That theory could well be right , but would it work in all weather conditions ? , like the birds sitting tighter in icy conditions , or even how often the ground is shot over , like I said , some would know as soon as they lift up , but others would only know when the dead bird is in the hand , not the ideal way to go about Snipe shooting 

indeed.. if in doubt leave alone 

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, old man said:

Me too!

I struggle to understand the reasoning behind statements like this on a shooting forum.

It's not like people leave piles of dead snipe liying around or just give them away to someone to feed their dog with.

I'll give three reasons why I shoot snipe - and if you could provide some why you think it's totally pointless, I'd be obliged. Failing that, if you could give me some idea of why my reasons are totally pointless, I'd likewise be obliged.

1 - I like eating snipe. As far as I'm concerned (and a good number of chefs, judging by the words written in cookery books) they are delicious. I understand you might not enjoy them personally, but as far as I am aware that is not a reason for me not eating them.

2 - It's sporting shooting. Given the context of this forum, this point shouldent really need to be expounded upon. However, if you disagree, I would again point you in the general direction of the many books that sing the praises of snipe from a sporting perspective. You may find snipe shooting very tame, but again, it does not follow that if you do, I have to agree.

3 - Habitat protection. I touched upon this in an earlier reply. There is a marsh, just over seven acres, on land my family owns. The fact that I use it to shoot snipe over allows me to provide a good reason why it shouldent be 'improved'. You can of course say that if I cared about the habitat so much, I wouldent drain it anyway - but that would be a presumption that it was my land to do with as I choose. Which, coincidentally, it isn't - although I will admit to having some limited input into its management. As far as I am aware, the decline in the number of snipe is down to habitat loss - not shooting pressure.

Saying you cant see any reason for shooting snipe, and then offering no justification only serves to put your statement in the same class as all those on facebook, etc, who say they cant seen any point in shooting, and then leave it at that. In other words, a empty statement - which, coincidentally you are entitled to have - but one that in it's current (written) form has no value. EDIT - which is all the more bizarre given the generally thoughtful and considered content of your posts.

Edited by PeterHenry

Snipe are exceptionally sporting bird, which is my way of saying I miss a lot of them lol.

Jack snipe are very easy to tell apart by their habits once you have seen a few. They flush close with less speed, do not fly high or that far, usually less than 100m before dropping into cover again. And as far as I recall are silent when they flush, full snipe often give an alarm call. 

17 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

I struggle to understand the reasoning behind statements like this on a shooting forum.

It's not like people leave piles of dead snipe liying around or just give them away to someone to feed their dog with.

I'll give three reasons why I shoot snipe - and if you could provide some why you think it's totally pointless, I'd be obliged. Failing that, if you could give me some idea of why my reasons are totally pointless, I'd likewise be obliged.

1 - I like eating snipe. As far as I'm concerned (and a good number of chefs, judging by the words written in cookery books) they are delicious. I understand you might not enjoy them personally, but as far as I am aware that is not a reason for me not eating them.

2 - It's sporting shooting. Given the context of this forum, this point shouldent really need to be expounded upon. However, if you disagree, I would again point you in the general direction of the many books that sing the praises of snipe from a sporting perspective. You may find snipe shooting very tame, but again, it does not follow that if you do, I have to agree.

3 - Habitat protection. I touched upon this in an earlier reply. There is a marsh, just over seven acres, on land my family owns. The fact that I use it to shoot snipe over allows me to provide a good reason why it shouldent be 'improved'. You can of course say that if I cared about the habitat so much, I wouldent drain it anyway - but that would be a presumption that it was my land to do with as I choose. Which, coincidentally, it isn't - although I will admit to having some limited input into its management. As far as I am aware, the decline in the number of snipe is down to habitat loss - not shooting pressure.

Saying you cant see any reason for shooting snipe, and then offering no justification only serves to put your statement in the same class as all those on facebook, etc, who say they cant seen any point in shooting, and then leave it at that. In other words, a empty statement - which, coincidentally you are entitled to have - but one that in it's current (written) form has no value. EDIT - which is all the more bizarre given the generally thoughtful and considered content of your posts.

Whoa up.

I hope you feel better for that?

My comment was in support of Blackbirds opinion, I don't need you to justify your actions to me.

My personal opinion is that I don't shoot Hares either or for that matter all other quarry that I see, that is dependent on circumstance.

You are responsible for your actions.

BTW, thanks for the Facebook classification, I shall treasure it.  lol.

7 minutes ago, old man said:

Whoa up.

I hope you feel better for that?

My comment was in support of Blackbirds opinion, I don't need you to justify your actions to me.

My personal opinion is that I don't shoot Hares either or for that matter all other quarry that I see, that is dependent on circumstance.

You are responsible for your actions.

BTW, thanks for the Facebook classification, I shall treasure it.  lol.

Perhaps in retrospect my last post was a little excessive.

You are of course correct - you have as much right to not shoot snipe, as I do to shoot them. Like you I often (although not always) decide against shooting hares, when the opportunity arises.

Please accept my apology - theres no excuse for blowing my top as I did.

2 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

You are of course correct - you have as much right to not shoot snipe, as I do to shoot them. Like you I often (although not always) decide against shooting hares, when the opportunity arises.

No Need to apologise, just banter.

1 hour ago, PeterHenry said:

I thought your earlier post was spot on as it showed your passion. 

2 hours ago, JDog said:

I thought your earlier post was spot on as it showed your passion. 

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

Agree ... good points, well put (from a fellow taker of the odd Snipe, Woodcock, and Golden Plover!)

It's kind of you both to say so - and it's also true that out of all my shooting, snipe shooting is the sort I enjoy the most, for the reasons set out above.

But the internet (and life in general) in my estimation, is a worse place if you go jumping down pepoles throats at the first sign of disagreement.

• 2 months later...
On 06/01/2021 at 00:13, PeterHenry said:

The Shooting Times Library 'Rough Shooting'

They are wonderful birds - and delicious - but you want to be careful of the ones that get up right from under your feet - more often than not they tend to be Jack Snipe in my experience. 

Edit - not sure why those are displaying sideways on.

20210105_232427_compress86.jpg

20210106_000526_compress47.jpg

only just seen this post ,I won that book as a speach day prize 57 yrs ago and agree with you snipe are good eating ,its a long time sinch I  shot any but my grandsons brought me some that they had shot 2yrs ago and I did enjoy them and the tale about a wellie full of mud !