Washing tweed

kennett

Unless you know how the suit was constructed (i.e. no hidden support panels which will pucker or stretch on washing), I would not risk washing jacket at home with machine even on woollen setting with woollen detergent. Breeks are simpler, but don't hang, dry between two towels on a horizontal surface.

Modern machines have a wool wash setting. Use woollite or similar.

For a few washes before but the detergent straight into the drum so there is no residue in the drawer. 

If it has a waterproof membrane use nikwax tech wash.

Edited by markm

I have washed breeks in the woollens programme of my washing machine.  It doesn't do the 'shape' any favours, but they have always come out clean and without shrinkage.  I don't bother that they loose the smart 'crease' lines etc.

I would not wash a jacket because the complexity of things like collars and shoulders (which I think have additional stiffening layers).  Breeks frequently get muddy and need washing, whereas the jacket can get away with being cleaned once a season (or less if rarely used).  I invariably wear the breeks all day many times a season, but the jacket much less often as I often wear a waterproof (Musto) instead.

3 hours ago, kennett said:

My shooting suit needs cleaning, and I can't be bothered to go into to town to find out if the dry cleaners is open, has anyone had any success (or otherwise!) with machine washing wool tweed on a wool programme?

Thanks 🙂

For the sake of a phone call and dropping off and collecting it when out on an essential run.:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, JDog said:

Don't do it. Dry cleaning is the only way to go.

Has to be the correct answer.:good:

If it is a decent suit with some years left in it why risk spoiling it?:D

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Be the very first to wear shrink to fit tweed!

Well - I had my tweed breeks (two identical pairs plus all the jackets, waistcoats, caps - from Haggarts of Aberfeldy) made for me about 1988 - and they still fit fine despite having been washed many times.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Well - I had my tweed breeks (two identical pairs plus all the jackets, waistcoats, caps - from Haggarts of Aberfeldy) made for me about 1988 - and they still fit fine despite having been washed many times.

Blimey, I wish I could still fit into clothes I wore in 1988 (size, not the fashion).

Most of mine appear to have shrunk over Christmas.

Breeks, waistcoats and caps seem to survive a hand wash in Woolite, don't think I'd risk a jacket though.

4 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

Blimey, I wish I could still fit into clothes I wore in 1988 (size, not the fashion).

There was a period when they did seem to shrink a bit, but they now seem to have recovered their original size.  Not sure what it was - as all my trouser waistbands seemed to do the same thing at that time!

My late father had his dinner jacket set made when he was 21 and could still wear it when he was in his 80s  (it was worn about once a year) .......... but the palaver with separate collar and studs etc. was always the nightmare (he could never find them!)

Some might try the way they used to once clean carpets. Lay them out and let fresh snow fall on them. Then brush it in and then off to take all the dirt with it. Mine, Haggart's, I had made back in 1989 or 1990 or so I just have dry cleaned once a year.

Clothes that still fit. Like the woman who said to her husband "Look, see! I wore this on our honeymoon thirty years ago. And it still fits me." To which he replies "Yes. I can see. It's your scarf."

BlackWhiteSMALL.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares