£350 to change a bulb!

flippermaj

14 hours ago, spurs 14 said:

If that was a landrover / jaguar dealer I’d well believe it , you’re talking around the £90 mark an hour for labour so thats about right , on ramp wheel off tyre off replace valve then back on inflate back on car x five , 

£90/hour. Your having a giggle. More like £155/hour round my way. 

Many years ago one of my lads had a Ford Focus ST170. Nearside headlight bulb went off - quoted around £700. I told him we could do it in a couple of minutes. We had been messing around for a bit when Mark Swanick appeared. He is a friend of both my sons and knows more about cars than you can point a stick at. He suggested we remove the arch liner and bumper to get at the headlight. I suggested we didn't - gave the wing a hard smack and the light came on. It stayed that way until he moved on to more expensive motors.

A couple of years ago, he was quoted over £1k for discs and pads for his Merc GLE, as he was getting rid of the car. Did it ourselves for around £400 - parts are still dear when not Merc originals. Nice easy job once you figure out how to get the callipers to retract themselves. 

17 hours ago, ditchman said:

about a couple of mths later he needed a new alternator.............£600 quid....................but get this ....you have to take the frount of the car off and some of the engine to replace it..............he never told me the final cost...

You will be shocked how many jobs on new Range Rovers and Discos require full engine removal or body to be lifted off the chassis. Mate runs a Landy garage and out of a 6 bay workshop there are always at least 2 with with bodys lifted when i pop in. 

6 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Bring back the Morris Minor and Ford Anglia I say

Would rather pay £600 for a bulb!

Just now, ferguson_tom said:

You will be shocked how many jobs on new Range Rovers and Discos require full engine removal or body to be lifted off the chassis. Mate runs a Landy garage and out of a 6 bay workshop there are always at least 2 with with bodys lifted when i pop in. 

Would rather pay £600 for a bulb!

Of course neither can  beat steam traction.

Blackpowder

1 hour ago, ferguson_tom said:

Yes I had a crankshaft sensor go on a Discovery 4. I think that was body off. Bill came to £1,500. Eventually refunded by LR as they sent out a recall notice about them just after mine went. 

Far too much unessicary computers in cars today, sure a read one new car has over thirty separate ECU modules in it. 

I can understand a a engine ECU or two and one for the infotainment, but the amount that needs coding to a car is ridiculous. 

When my son had his Westfield SEIW apart from a few tight areas for access it was a joy to work on. 

For the likes of bulbs surely such smart computers can tell it's been changed and reset itself. 

Nephew has a 14 plate mini cooper, it was going into limo mode and flashing all sorts of warnings. Had it into a its and it needs a new battery is all. He seen the price and put it on charge, he had been doing short journeys in the dark for work so had pulled the battery down.  Heater keeps blowing cold and occasionally works on hot, it's going back in to see if garage can tell what's not working. He looked on mini forums others have had bills of £1500.00 for a flap motor gone, new heater box, dash out and huge labour bill.  Suppose to be more eco friendly motoring, I can't see how.

On 06/01/2021 at 18:24, ditchman said:

my mate when he got his 18mth old range rover...had a slow puncture....so he took it into the garage and said can you do the valve and as you are at it replace all the other valves ...they said no bother

Bill..............parts only   £500 quid...(125 / valve)

Should have shopped around - under £80/4 on the bay of plenty - then get them replaced when you have the tyres changed. As for resseting a computer - you can buy the tool for under £30 that will reset just about any car.

Edited by bruno22rf

My daughter in law owns a couple of children's nurseries and has a few vehicles to ferry the kids about. One is a 63 plate Chevrolet Orlando and had no warm air on the passenger side. Quoted nearly £2k, as the Vauxhall Main Agent said the dashboard had to be removed for access. My youngest and I changed a little motor operating the flaps on the heater - cost about £20 off Ebay and works perfect. A bit fiddly, but sufficient access by removing the glovebox and a panel - another Mark Swanick gem.

Agree with LR ripp offs - my driveshaft boot was split at last MOT so looked around for a price, my local independant informed me that he no longer replaces the boot but the whole shaft!! LR price was around the £750 + vat, company in Brum £49.99 delivered next day, my mechanic swears that its the same unit that LR sell!!

On 06/01/2021 at 21:29, ditchman said:

i love my suzuki bog standard swift....:yahoo:

Yep, I agree, I drive a 30yr old Landie and a 14yr old Jag.  The Jag bits are bad enough but at least my local garage can repair it.    I will stick with them as long as I can keep them running, stuff these all singing all dancing electronic wizardry vehicles.

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Agree with LR ripp offs - my driveshaft boot was split at last MOT so looked around for a price, my local independant informed me that he no longer replaces the boot but the whole shaft!! LR price was around the £750 + vat, company in Brum £49.99 delivered next day, my mechanic swears that its the same unit that LR sell!!

I can believe it. Been there done that.

£6.50 rubber boot and a cone an hours wort of time good to go  if not sure youtube videos available  easier to justify replacing cost for a drive shaft  than a £6 boot same strip down involved    however sometimes the driveshaft is buggared  and needs replacing       electronics main dealer  guts ripped out plenty of motors they cant fix  mechanically sound  give me an older motor any day 

Edited by Saltings