£350 to change a bulb!

flippermaj

A girl who works for me has an Audi Q3.   A warning about a bulb out come up on the dash and it was a headlight that had blown so she took it to her local (very good) back street garage and he said he couldn't touch it and it would have to go to the Audi dealer.  They took it there today and had to pay £60 just for them to look at the problem and have now been quoted £350 to get the bulb replaced.  Apparently it is so expensive as the headlight has to be re coded???

Is this the norm for Audi?  Seems absolute madness

my mate when he got his 18mth old range rover...had a slow puncture....so he took it into the garage and said can you do the valve and as you are at it replace all the other valves ...they said no bother

Bill..............parts only   £500 quid...(125 / valve)

30 minutes ago, ditchman said:

my mate when he got his 18mth old range rover...had a slow puncture....so he took it into the garage and said can you do the valve and as you are at it replace all the other valves ...they said no bother

Jesus H Christ

My mate who has a garage was saying on one particular car (I think it was a Fiat), the whole front has to be dismantled just to change a bulb. He always suggests changing all of the front bulbs whist he has the thing apart. This is why there are so many 'Cyclops' cars driving around, they only get it fixed at MOT time  !

That’s a bargain. I was in my early 40’s until I realised why people didn’t buy Vauxhall.  

I had a new top spec AWD Mokka.  Direction turning headlight was £750 to replace. Less than 3 years old, not under warranty as it wasn’t covered, classed as a consumable.

Eventually the dealership got sick of me, I was verging on being arrested, with my protests, if I’m honest.

Edited by markm

High intensity discharge lamps.

Might need the  headlamp removing to change the bulb, that's often a bumper off,  or be a complete lamp.

Some need the self levelling resetting and that needs plugging into a computer to do.

I have a car in tomorrow that's had the windscreen replaced, we now have to recalibrate the dual camera system that controls the lane assist/departure warning.

Get used to it, it's the future.

3 minutes ago, markm said:

That’s a bargain. I was in my early 40’s until I realised why people didn’t buy Vauxhall.  

I had a new top spec AWD Mokka.  Direction turning headlight was £750 to replace. Less than 3 years old, not under warranty. 

i love my suzuki bog standard swift....:yahoo::wub:

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

If that was a landrover / jaguar dealer I’d well believe it , you’re talking around the £90 mark an hour for labour so thats about right , on ramp wheel off tyre off replace valve then back on inflate back on car x five , 

1 minute ago, spurs 14 said:

If that was a landrover / jaguar dealer I’d well believe it , you’re talking around the £90 mark an hour for labour so thats about right , on ramp wheel off tyre off replace valve then back on inflate back on car x five , 

i said that was parts only....they were sum sort of special sensor type arty farty valve.............labour was extra

22 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

I’d have been in tears at that one ! , ! 

about a couple of mths later he needed a new alternator.............£600 quid....................but get this ....you have to take the frount of the car off and some of the engine to replace it..............he never told me the final cost...

1 hour ago, spurs 14 said:

The joys of main dealerships 😳

Edited by blackbird

reminds me of the story when a Harley street surgeon took his range rover in to be mended to a central london dealer.....he complained bitterly about the cost....the enjineer/fitter...said thats a bit rich coming from a man of your profession....you are only really a body mechanic ...so why do you earn 5 times per hour what my company charges......

the surgeon says ....i may be a body mechanic...but can you stick your tools up the exhaust pipe and fix a body whilst it is still running ??

With the government bringing in no sales of petrol or diesel cars after 2030 we don't really have much choice but to get used to the much higher costs of motoring.

I'm too old and knackericated now to have a Series Landy or a Defender, but if only i could afford a Classic Range Rover or find a Disco 1 200tdi or 300tdi in fair fettle to cherish.

Unfortunately from at least the turn of this century most vehicles are just too complicated