MEC Reloader advice

Does anyone have any experience / advice when it comes to using the MEC 600 junior press? 

My question relates to reloading 2.5 and 3 " shells, using different size shot in each batch for different guns and uses. Obviously I can change the powder bushes, but when it comes to the shot drop, is 1/2 oz accurate regardless of shot size, or would the smaller shot be denser and therefore heavier? If so, would I actually notice the difference, or is it worth looking out for the adjustable shuttle bar, or am I overthinking things? Many thanks. 

Regards, Rob. 

Whichever setting or size you need to drop the shot weight you need.

If youook.on the mec website it has tables for the charge bars, these list say 1 1/8oz 4-6# so would drop around its stated amount with sizes 4 to 6 lead shot. Only way of knowing is drop some in yours and weight what's dropped.

Edited by figgy

I'm pretty sure if you're running shot through the bushings you're doing it very, very wrong.  

PowderBushingChart.pdf (mecoutdoors.com)

It looks like MEC makes different bars for different sizes of shot.  Funny I've never looked at mine but I only reload 7.5 to 9 in my 9000g(s).  Never had an issue though, everything I reload is mild stuff for skeet.

Edited by 2sp11
added more info/link to MEC

I got a friend to make me a charge bar with two holes in to take lee loader bushes that I had knocking about if I want to change anything I just push bushes out and put bush in to the loaders I require lead or shot.

I tried a universal charge bar but could not get on with it for some reason.

Guest cookoff013

The Standard charge bars are almost calibrated for #6 and low antimony shot. This means it will drop a little light. They are worked to drop light, the skeet special bars have a tighter cavity for small #9 shot and low antimony lead for usa legal skeet loads.

i would not over think it. Just grab the right bar. Rock on.

Surely as Figgy says drop a load from each and weigh them , then use the one nearest what you are looking for.  I only load 410 and the 600 will not drop consistently so I weigh every  load. In fact I have now loaded so many I know exactly where the shot level in the cartridge case will be and pour to that level and it is never more or less two or three #7s and I get a nice crimp.  The listing says 19g but in fact to get a neat crimp it is 18.7   and had no complaints from the customers. 

Sometimes as you say, you can over think these situations.

A scale  is the only way to get consistent powder charges.  

Very few powders drop exact, people usually give the bottle a light tap each go to settle the powder the same for each drop, they weight the odd one.  The more powder in the bottle the more it compresses at the bottom, so early drops could have more powder than later ones as powder gets used up.

For steel powder I use a powder scoop to a little below my chosen weight then a hand trickler to get it spot on. 

If I was going to use a loader for powder, I would fill the powder hopper and drop lots of charges into pre weighed cartridges, then check the loaded weights with only powder, if it was near enough great crack on. 

Cheers for the replies, chaps. 

There does appear to be potential for a few variables when using the MEC press. I suppose it makes sense for them to drop on the light side for a safety margin. Depending on the amount I was reloading, I would consider weighing each charge, but for smashing a few boxes out in a hurry, the press is very efficient. As I have read elsewhere, I also considered the Lee scoops. To be fair, I'm still in the early stages of reloading, so am curious for different recipes. 

Cheers, Rob. 

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Surely as Figgy says drop a load from each and weigh them , then use the one nearest what you are looking for.  I only load 410 and the 600 will not drop consistently so I weigh every  load. In fact I have now loaded so many I know exactly where the shot level in the cartridge case will be and pour to that level and it is never more or less two or three #7s and I get a nice crimp.  The listing says 19g but in fact to get a neat crimp it is 18.7   and had no complaints from the customers. 

Sometimes as you say, you can over think these situations.

Hello, Mate. 

It's after reading people's experiences like yours, that made me wonder about the adjustable shuttle bar. In theory you should be able to dial it in, but I'm not convinced from what I've read about the things. I could measure each charge as you say, but was just looking to speed up the process somewhat. 

Regards, Rob. 

For the larger gauges I do not think there is any problems such as I have dropping shot in a 410,  Anyone with a modicum of ability on a small lathe can turn up dozens of different sized shot dies from some ally rod.  It really ain't rocket science.  Turn to required diameter, centre it and drill to required size, even I could do it.

54 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

For the larger gauges I do not think there is any problems such as I have dropping shot in a 410,  Anyone with a modicum of ability on a small lathe can turn up dozens of different sized shot dies from some ally rod.  It really ain't rocket science.  Turn to required diameter, centre it and drill to required size, even I could do it.

Have thought about that, mate. Have my own facilities. Probably the way forward. Just need a bit more play time....., 

On 09/01/2021 at 21:09, cervusman said:

I’m guessing that you’re loading 410, Clays and Game sell SP3 powder that’s very good for 410 2 1/2” and 3”. It meters well and gives good velocity. I adjust the charge bar throw the right weight for the shot size I want and powder weight. 

Sorry cervusman, only just seen this. 

You mention SP3. Would you pick this over any other powder, or is it what you've always used and are happy with? Only ask because some people fiercely seem to defend a certain powder, and I want an understanding of why. I could try different brands myself, but it's cheaper to ask! Many thanks. 

Regards, Rob. 

Hi Rob, I have about 5 different powders for 410 because I have been buying and selling reloading kits. By preferred powder is Winchester 296 which I’m running out of and is now very rare these days. I have H110, Litgun, Trail bos and SP3 which I like and have plenty of, and can be used for 2 1/2” and 3” cartridges. I shot skeet with a Remington 1100 410 skeet, all other forms of clays including high pheasant with an O/U 410 but because of the way things are at the moment it’s all on hold.

Regards Dave