Faulty Le chameau chasseaur wellingtons

squirrel shooter

I was sent these warranty replacement wellingtons from Le Chameau as my first pair developed a hole and started to leak.

I'm not particularly happy with this pair as to me, the rubber looks like it's perishing/splitting where it folds over on itself. Or is this how they are manufactured. Expect better for £265. Opinions please? Thanks 

IMG_20210107_162910.jpg

IMG_20210107_162734.jpg

Edited by squirrel shooter

I've had them for more years than i care to remember, and never had a problem. That doesn't look right to me at all, send them back.

My lamp man bought a pair for christmas, wore them twice and the strap at the top has came adrift. I personally think their quality is going down hill. A few of the lad's now moving across to Aigle's

33 minutes ago, ninjaferret said:

I've had them for more years than i care to remember, and never had a problem. 

I personally think their quality is going down hill. 

I too have had a pair of Le Chameau for about twenty years, worn regularly with no problems whatsoever.

In contrast, my pal bought a pair about two years ago which failed after 18 months. It certainly appears that the quality has suffered tremendously.

OB

1 minute ago, Old Boggy said:

I too have had a pair of Le Chameau for about twenty years, worn regularly with no problems whatsoever.

In contrast, my pal bought a pair about two years ago which failed after 18 months. It certainly appears that the quality has suffered tremendously.

OB

Yes mine are that old, that is the massive difference to the latest versions.

Production used to be in France and there was a fair amount of pride within the factory.

Now that they are made elsewhere they are not worth having.

You cannot live on name alone!

1 hour ago, ninjaferret said:

I've had them for more years than i care to remember, and never had a problem. That doesn't look right to me at all, send them back.

My lamp man bought a pair for christmas, wore them twice and the strap at the top has came adrift. I personally think their quality is going down hill. A few of the lad's now moving across to Aigle's

I second Aigle's and much better guality in my opinion, think Le Chameau boots went down hill after moving production to Morocco, few recent reviews on Le Chameau...https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/lechameau.com

Edited by old'un

Did they change the rubber to be more natural and eco friendly a while ago? Something to do with vulcanising too.

Mates always swore by them and a few were less than satisfied when replacing old worn out boots 

Cracking across the top of the foot toe bend point was a common fault, much like fatigue in metal.

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Did they change the rubber to be more natural and eco friendly a while ago? Something to do with vulcanising too.

Mates always swore by them and a few were less than satisfied when replacing old worn out boots 

Cracking across the top of the foot toe bend point was a common fault, much like fatigue in metal.

Is that the wellies as well as the boots?  I’ve never owned a pair of their wellies, but the three pairs of boots I’ve had from them did this ( and everyone else I’ve known with a pair, with one exception ) and the pair I have now are only fit for dry weather. You’d have thought I’d have learned by now! 

Edited by Scully

I emailed Le Chameau on Thursday but no reply as of yet. I purchased them from sportsman gun centre and they was then sent to Le Chameau to see if they was covered by the warranty. All contact has been with Le Chameau direct, if I asked for a refund would this be from Le Chameau or Sportsman Gun Centre. 

2 hours ago, squirrel shooter said:

I emailed Le Chameau on Thursday but no reply as of yet. I purchased them from sportsman gun centre and they was then sent to Le Chameau to see if they was covered by the warranty. All contact has been with Le Chameau direct, if I asked for a refund would this be from Le Chameau or Sportsman Gun Centre. 

I think that you`ll find that your `contract` was with Sportsman Gun Centre and it is they who should be sorting it out. Don`t be fobbed off. 

OB

I've got a pair of Le Chameau leather lined with full length zips. Had them donkey's years. Had the original zips replaced as they failed and the replacement zips have failed again. Long out of any warranty though. I'll continue to wear them whilst the top straps survive to keep the welly close to my leg as they don't actually leak. When they finally give up the ghost I'll look for a different manufacturer. 

On 09/01/2021 at 16:38, Old Boggy said:

I think that you`ll find that your `contract` was with Sportsman Gun Centre and it is they who should be sorting it out. Don`t be fobbed off. 

OB

I contacted sportsman gun centre and they said that they had to send the boots to Le chameau to see if they would cover the warranty. Ever since this I've been in contact with Le Chameau. It was them who sent the replacement pair out, which I'm not happy with. I've emailed them but no reply yet. I thought it was strange that it didn't all go through the sportsman

On 09/01/2021 at 11:50, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes mine are that old, that is the massive difference to the latest versions.

Production used to be in France and there was a fair amount of pride within the factory.

Now that they are made elsewhere they are not worth having.

You cannot live on name alone!

Hello, you do wonder why these companies change their production to China and then expect a quality made item, 

8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, you do wonder why these companies change their production to China and then expect a quality made item, 

Because far too many of us just accept the carp they send out!

I had a battle years ago with Musto, by the end of it I knew their Customer Services Manager by his first name!

That was about the time they had moved their production to India. I got a well made jacket in the end, but they had four goes at replacing the defective one with subsequent defective jackets.

You have to know your rights and stand up for them.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
CAPITALISATION!

59 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I had a battle years ago with Musto, by the end of it I knew their Customer Services Manager by his first name!

That was about the time they had moved their production to India. I got a well made jacket in the end, but they had four goes at replacing the defective one with subsequent defective jackets.

You have to know your rights and stand up for them.

I took a Musto shooting jacket back to Musto at their HQ in Essex a few years ago and they replaced the collar which had frayed after 5 years and they replaced it (the collar) free of charge. Good service I thought. Still have the jacket and it has served me well and not let in a drop of water even in torrential rain.

Also won a Musto `Packaway` jacket from Sporting Gun which is lightweight and still a reasonable spring/autumn jacket, so cannot complain as it was free gratis.

I cannot comment on their later products.

OB

I've just had an email back from Le Chameau, I informed them that I was concerned with the quality and the reply was that the ""slight creases in the rubber in the gusset behind the zip is perfectly normal" I'm unsure as what to do. They said they would send me some cleaner to clean up the area around it called 'blooming' or they will exchange for another pair....

My question is if the slight creases are normal it's just a waste of time. And hassle to have these sent back and them another pair sent out to me. For all I know they might even send the same pair straight back to me!