Needs must....

Walker570

With the shutting down of most driven shooting days many shoots are struggling but some are coming up with ideas and days. I just had information from Wrekin Sporting that they are offering, within the regulations days for one or two guns , walked shooting. May be worth contacting them if you want a bit of sport before the season ends.  Ideal for anyone with gsps or vIzslas.

Edited by Walker570

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Exactly. It all depends on your local rozzers, which can’t be right. 

This is the main reason I will not be going to my permissions.  ( 1/2 hr trip ) for the time being. 

I believe I could give good reason for going but no clear "guidelines" that I could debate with a  policeman who is giving his own interpretation of the rules, especially with a potential heavy fine for me.

39 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

This is the main reason I will not be going to my permissions.  ( 1/2 hr trip ) for the time being. 

I believe I could give good reason for going but no clear "guidelines" that I could debate with a  policeman who is giving his own interpretation of the rules, especially with a potential heavy fine for me.

Most of my permissions are in walking distance but this is the BASC guidance. For pest control the “stay local” rule doesn’t apply. 

Shooting-related essential work is permitted in England and it is reasonable to travel outside your local area to carry out that essential work. This includes essential bird and mammal pest control to protect crops or livestock such as the shooting and trapping of pest bird species under general licence; the management of rodents and rabbits; deer management as part of a plan agreed with and requested by the landowner. It is advised that you keep a copy of your shooting permission and a written request to undertake essential work with you so that you can present them if challenged by the authorities.

7 hours ago, AVB said:

Shooting-related essential work is permitted in England and it is reasonable to travel outside your local area to carry out that essential work. This includes essential bird and mammal pest control to protect crops or livestock such as the shooting and trapping of pest bird species under general licence; the management of rodents and rabbits; deer management as part of a plan agreed with and requested by the landowner. It is advised that you keep a copy of your shooting permission and a written request to undertake essential work with you so that you can present them if challenged by the authorities.

And all of that means nothing since BASC stopped the legal cover.

Will BASC fight your case in court, if the police decide otherwise and revoke your certs.

Or will it be the more likely scenario of - BASC will give you advice for fighting the revocation, but you are on your own legally.

I'm not having a dig at you, mearly pointing out that although BASC are advising it's legal to do pest control (which is my interpretation of the rules, even in the first lockdown), you will be on your own in court.

Edited by Newbie to this

I did hear yesterday that two women I believe got fined £200 for traveling five miles to a walk in Derbyshire ?

Maybe a local from that area will know and give us more details.

I know that two people here in Norfolk got fined for traveling from North Hampton to come and look at the Seals at Horsey .

There was also talk of with the virus now getting well out of control that even more restrictions will be imposed , so paying and driving some distance to shoot walked up game might be crossing the borderline . 

11 hours ago, Good shot? said:

This is what im thinking I did speak with the local feo and they have had nothing to go on, so it would be up to us the shooter to prove we are acting within the guidelines o he lockdown 

20 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I did hear yesterday that two women I believe got fined £200 for traveling five miles to a walk in Derbyshire ?

That has been all over the news, they drove in separate cars to a res for a walk. Police then approached them saying they'd broken rules and taking a drink with them counted as a picnic... Utter madness to fine someone for going for a walk 5miles down road. Some people would have to travel that to get out of an inner city. 

Just now, McSpredder said:

Which is more likely to spread the virus:
    A.    Driving alone in a car and then walking in a remote rural location?
    B.    Walking around an inner-city area?

A Have you heard of social distance don't need to spread the virus by walking in an inner city 

B By driving in a car you may need the police / fire Service/ ambulance doctors/nurses they don't need any more pressure than they got this is why we wont beat this virus not ESSENTIAL 

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

This is what im thinking I did speak with the local feo and they have had nothing to go on, so it would be up to us the shooter to prove we are acting within the guidelines o he lockdown 

This is where it falls into the laps of the antis. You are either providing an essential service, controlling pests for a farmer (in which case you would travel) or you are doing it for fun (in which case you wouldn’t). 

under the terms of the GL it has to be the former so you should travel surely? 

I watched a person vaping some 200 yards from me the other day (I too vape) the vapour around him spread  much more than 2 metres around him and trailed several meters behind him. This is what happens when anyone exhales in particular cyclists and joggers let alone other pedestrians

I feel  being pulled up and quizzed by the Police  to be more of a health hazard than my driving to any permission to shoot or anything else for that matter would create, but would still be safer than going for a walk locally and passing umpteen walkers joggers and cyclists. 

Don't confused the two metre rule with being safe, it is only safer than a one metre rule, perhaps.

I am sure someone will give an opposing view but that is the problem.

PS. My wife and myself are and have done everything and more  asked of us during this period.

18 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Yep  and for having a picnic as they had a cup of coffee   -   Police now reviewing

The head policeman had apparently said each Officer will use his own judgement!

Well that didn't work then, did it?

I wonder if some opportunistic lawyer might take this case on pro bono in order to get some fame?

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

Maybe a local from that area will know and give us more details.

I know that two people here in Norfolk got fined for traveling from North Hampton to come and look at the Seals at Horsey .

There was also talk of with the virus now getting well out of control that even more restrictions will be imposed , so paying and driving some distance to shoot walked up game might be crossing the borderline . 

They were quite photogenic and so it received a lot of press attention as an easy article and click bait pictures. Unfortunately if I were fined with my shooting buddy we probably wouldn’t make such a splash?

To avoid blow back and negative press perhaps the police should learn to use their initiative and only fine ugly people or people with low social capital? 

6 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

And all of that means nothing since BASC stopped the legal cover.

Will BASC fight your case in court, if the police decide otherwise and revoke your certs.

Or will it be the more likely scenario of - BASC will give you advice for fighting the revocation, but you are on your own legally.

I'm not having a dig at you, mearly pointing out that although BASC are advising it's legal to do pest control (which is my interpretation of the rules, even in the first lockdown), you will be on your own in court.

CPSA still do offer legal cover for revocation.

Legal expenses insurance for shotgun certificate revocation and renewal issues (excluding colts and clubman) with effect from 1st April 2014.

And also their cover isn't just for clay target shooting it covers live quarry shooting also including deerstalking, game, vermin. 

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/insuredactivities

And if over age 60 is £62 instead of the usual £72 per year. BASC is £82 and their senior membership rate of £71 is if you are over age 65. 

Do the maths. Age over sixty years and you are saving £20 a year AND get that legal insurance that BASC doesn't now include.

Edited by enfieldspares

26 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

watched a person vaping some 200 yards from me the other day (I too vape) the vapour around him spread  much more than 2 metres around him and trailed several meters behind him. This is what happens when anyone exhales in particular cyclists and joggers let alone other pedestrians

A scientist on tv the other day used the same analogy. When asked about masks and how far people's "air borne exhalations could travel" he replied; watch someone vaping/smoking and if you can smell it you've breathed it

quite sobering

26 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

They were quite photogenic and so it received a lot of press attention as an easy article and click bait pictures. Unfortunately if I were fined with my shooting buddy we probably wouldn’t make such a splash?

To avoid blow back and negative press perhaps the police should learn to use their initiative and only fine ugly people or people with low social capital

:lol: