Needs must....

Walker570

27 minutes ago, Diver One said:

A scientist on tv the other day used the same analogy. When asked about masks and how far people's "air borne exhalations could travel" he replied; watch someone vaping/smoking and if you can smell it you've breathed it

quite sobering

I've thought about this right from the start of the pandemic. How many of us, when driving, can smell the vape "flavour", and cigarette smoke, from the vehicle in front of them ? I know it's a slim chance of contracting the virus but a chance nonetheless 🤔

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Good shot? said:

I watched a person vaping some 200 yards from me the other day (I too vape) the vapour around him spread  much more than 2 metres around him and trailed several meters behind him. This is what happens when anyone exhales in particular cyclists and joggers let alone other pedestrians

I feel  being pulled up and quizzed by the Police  to be more of a health hazard than my driving to any permission to shoot or anything else for that matter would create, but would still be safer than going for a walk locally and passing umpteen walkers joggers and cyclists. 

Don't confused the two metre rule with being safe, it is only safer than a one metre rule, perhaps.

I am sure someone will give an opposing view but that is the problem.

PS. My wife and myself are and have done everything and more  asked of us during this period.

Vape is gasses.

The virus spreads in water droplets, much denser and less likely to travel in air like vape gasses.

52 minutes ago, Diver One said:

A scientist on tv the other day used the same analogy. When asked about masks and how far people's "air borne exhalations could travel" he replied; watch someone vaping/smoking and if you can smell it you've breathed it

quite sobering

True, but thats gasses not larger denser water droplets. Which is how the virus spreads, thats why you should avoid touching things, whereas vape just blows away on the wind.

Some scientist. Lol

3 minutes ago, Good shot? said:

Vape gasses were used as an example, your splitting (h)airs in my opinion.🙂

Not a very accurate example and one that some would jump on to "prove" their anti everything stance.

2 hours ago, Good shot? said:

"Blows away" to where.?

Last point from me on the subject.

Dissipates in to the air, because is a gas like air not a heavy droplet of water carrying a virus.

1 hour ago, McSpredder said:

Think of pesticide spray drift  -  small water droplets can in fact travel a very long way.

Pesticides are "atomised" under much higher pressure to enable then to mist and spread. Next time the spray rig is up on the farm ill ask him what psi his rig runs at.

Come on peeps at least try to make your case with a sensible examples

Edited by manthing

3 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

CPSA still do offer legal cover for revocation.

Legal expenses insurance for shotgun certificate revocation and renewal issues (excluding colts and clubman) with effect from 1st April 2014.

And also their cover isn't just for clay target shooting it covers live quarry shooting also including deerstalking, game, vermin. 

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/insuredactivities

And if over age 60 is £62 instead of the usual £72 per year. BASC is £82 and their senior membership rate of £71 is if you are over age 65. 

Do the maths. Age over sixty years and you are saving £20 a year AND get that legal insurance that BASC doesn't now include.

No Legal cover will take up any case if you are breaking the law . 

Insurance companies use any excuse not to fight cases, thats a fact .

Lots of waistband elastic in a twist here ?

My HO, it's all about perceived risk.

The risk of being nabbed, the risk of a court appearance, the risk of a magistrate being lenient and the risk of the Firearms department viewing you are not fit to hold certificates due to your poor behaviour? 

Seems likely that as the virus situation gets worse and it will, that penalties will increase? 

An easy choice personally, staying home to live another day or two?

5 hours ago, AVB said:

This is where it falls into the laps of the antis. You are either providing an essential service, controlling pests for a farmer (in which case you would travel) or you are doing it for fun (in which case you wouldn’t). 

under the terms of the GL it has to be the former so you should travel surely? 

And then when questioned or carted off to the station for questions you have to prove it to the bobby who clearly thought you were not there for essential pest control. I am perfectly happy I am there for the right reasons but not everyone will agree and id rathar not chance my licences and or my record for that matter 

AFAIK - all fines involving local travel have been withdrawn as the Government have not defined "local". The 2 women at the reserviour cetainly been let off. I'm still getting weekly reports as to the use of Squirrel feeders on a 5k public land area and no mention of not travelling to any of the sites.

Edited by bruno22rf

1 hour ago, manthing said:

Pesticides are "atomised" under much higher pressure to enable then to mist and spread. Next time the spray rig is up on the farm ill ask him what psi his rig runs at.

What???   You cannot be serious.   Herbicides and insecticides have to be sprayed using droplets large enough to minimise drift.   Any susceptible crops or insects downwind can be devasted if the pressure is too high, as may occasionally happen by accident.   All this sort of thing is covered in the compulsory sprayer operators' training, testing and certification schemes, which have been in operation since the 1980s, and the tractor driver on your liocal farm will almost certainly hold PA1 and PA6 tickets.  

Maybe you are thinking of mist blowers for fumigation inside buildings, rather than field crop sprayers?    Or possibly you have seen pictures of mist-blowers used on tree crops many decades ago.

8 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

That has been all over the news, they drove in separate cars to a res for a walk. Police then approached them saying they'd broken rules and taking a drink with them counted as a picnic... Utter madness to fine someone for going for a walk 5miles down road. Some people would have to travel that to get out of an inner city. 

The two people who went to look at the Seals at Horsey drove 120 miles from North Hampton which far outreach keeping it local , according to the paper , the police were checking number plates at the little car park near the beach .

Regardless of them driving short distance to walk. Both them gals stopped to get drinks on route. Still would of been non story if they not easy on the eye. Poss set up? Lot of pics in media?. . . . Doing pest control is OK! . . . . No prob walking up game on your own as part of once a day exercise. Or going sea fishing. Including fishing from your own boat. If you think it's right that is!?      NB 

11 minutes ago, marsh man said:

The two people who went to look at the Seals at Horsey drove 120 miles from North Hampton which far outreach keeping it local , according to the paper , the police were checking number plates at the little car park near the beach .

Yeah see that is a bit of a joke. Not sure you can say 120 miles is local

8 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Was same back in November in Suffolk. Birders/twitchers driving similar distance from midlands and beyond to Dunwich/Walberswick to see rare birds. One couple kicked of when challenged by locals then police, allowing others to get away.           NB

10 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Regardless of them driving short distance to walk. Both them gals stopped to get drinks on route. Still would of been non story if they not easy on the eye. Poss set up? Lot of pics in media?. . . . Doing pest control is OK! . . . . No prob walking up game on your own as part of once a day exercise. Or going sea fishing. Including fishing from your own boat. If you think it's right that is!?      NB 

Nothing stopping them getting a take away as they're all open, even the cafe at a local park is open for take out so I could go and buy whilst I am walking. But it is a non story

Just now, ShootingEgg said:

Nothing stopping them getting a take away as they're all open, even the cafe at a local park is open for take out so I could go and buy whilst I am walking. But it is a non story

Exactly. My local National Trust park is still open and I drive about four miles to walk the dog there.  I also partake of a soya cappuccino from the on-site cafe while I am there. It’s local in my mind and I would argue the toss with my last breath to anybody who wants to make an issue of it. And yes I could be struck by a meteorite en-route causing undue strain on the emergency services and NHS and yes a jobsworth copper could rip up my SGC for daring to be so reckless but life’s full of risks isn’t it.  

7 hours ago, McSpredder said:

Which is more likely to spread the virus:
    A.    Driving alone in a car and then walking in a remote rural location?
    B.    Walking around an inner-city area?

There is no such thing as a remote rural location and has not been since last March. I have never seen so many people out in those remote rural locations, MOST of whom have driven to get there. You are more at risk from catching Covid in a 'remote rural location' than the local shopping precinct. I am sorry but I am fully behind the Police and their actions in enforcing the lockdown rules. I try to walk daily, the emphasis being on WALK  !

6 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

They were quite photogenic and so it received a lot of press attention as an easy article and click bait pictures. Unfortunately if I were fined with my shooting buddy we probably wouldn’t make such a splash?

To avoid blow back and negative press perhaps the police should learn to use their initiative and only fine ugly people or people with low social capital? 

Thats me screwed then